MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

The Star Wars show just revealed this new picture of Babu Frik (hope I spelled that right). I have no clue what his role will be but if lego makes him I think he would be something similair to Baby Groot, though that completely depends on how big he is in comparison to the human characters. Do you guys think we'll get him in one of the 2020 sets? Maybe he's the 'spicy character' in Poe's X-Wing, a brand new molded (babysized) figure would be pretty spicy

Babu Frik in Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.

7 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Usually around thanksgiving, correct?

When is thanksgiving, end of november right? Nothing we celebrate where I come from so I have never thought about wheather it coinsists with lego reveals

37 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

The Star Wars show just revealed this new picture of Babu Frik (hope I spelled that right). I have no clue what his role will be but if lego makes him I think he would be something similair to Baby Groot, though that completely depends on how big he is in comparison to the human characters. Do you guys think we'll get him in one of the 2020 sets? Maybe he's the 'spicy character' in Poe's X-Wing, a brand new molded (babysized) figure would be pretty spicy

If he has a prominent role, its very possible of course. But do we even now that it's not a lady?

Just now, Sneakguest said:

If he has a prominent role, its very possible of course. But do we even now that it's not a lady?

The article on starwars.com doesn't say he or she. Here's all the information about the character directly from the article:

to reveal a first look at Babu Frik. The tiny Anzellan droidsmith, first glimpsed in toy form during the Triple Force Friday livestream event, works among the Spice Runners of Kijimi and can reprogram or modify virtually any droid — regardless of the security measures protecting its systems. Check out the full still of Babu Frik below!

7 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

Exactly :sweet: Grainy, blurred catalogue pictures have usually leaked in September, but they aren’t as reliable anymore as they used to be :shrug_confused:

True, the catalogue preliminaries leak earlier than that.

53 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

He comes with c-3po in a black series figure and is very small, I'd say a baby groot sized figure would work pretty well.

13 minutes ago, Sneakguest said:

When is thanksgiving, end of november right? Nothing we celebrate where I come from so I have never thought about wheather it coinsists with lego reveals

Last thursday of november, so yeah around the end of november. 

I think they might have referred to  Babu Frik as male during the triple force friday livestream, though I don't have an official source.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

On 9/28/2019 at 10:25 PM, Guyon2002 said:

Poe could be a new figure. They've never reused his figure, every set he came in was a new variant

Hasbro is also releasing a toy of Poe's new X-Wing and the figure included has the same flight suit as before. Even the black helmet remains unchanged. I don't think there's anything indicating he'll have any major costume changes in the movie apart from the flight suit and Nathan Drake cosplay.

3 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

The article on starwars.com doesn't say he or she. Here's all the information about the character directly from the article:

to reveal a first look at Babu Frik. The tiny Anzellan droidsmith, first glimpsed in toy form during the Triple Force Friday livestream event, works among the Spice Runners of Kijimi and can reprogram or modify virtually any droid — regardless of the security measures protecting its systems. Check out the full still of Babu Frik below!

A character working among spice runners sounds like a solid candidate for a "spicy character".

5 hours ago, wesker said:

A character working among spice runners sounds like a solid candidate for a "spicy character".

It does, but I doubt that the leaker knew about this detail when he said that :wink: I’ve followed the (alleged) movie leaks rather closely, but I don’t think it mentioned the spice runners anywhere, so this could just be a coincidence :shrug_oh_well:

13 hours ago, wesker said:

Hasbro is also releasing a toy of Poe's new X-Wing and the figure included has the same flight suit as before. Even the black helmet remains unchanged. I don't think there's anything indicating he'll have any major costume changes in the movie apart from the flight suit and Nathan Drake cosplay.

It could be the same outfit, just with updated printing since the figure is now 4 years old. Not that old at all, but they have done updated prints for the same costume in relativly little time before.

I don't think the leaker would have known Frik worked with spice runners before the announcement, it wasn't leaked before and seems like a really small detail. That said, it could still be frik, and he said 'spicy character' because he didn't know who he was at that point, and a baby groot type mold would be a 'spicy character' as it's something new to lego star wars.

20 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

It could be the same outfit, just with updated printing since the figure is now 4 years old. Not that old at all, but they have done updated prints for the same costume in relativly little time before.

There was a variation on the Poe pilot fig done for one of this year's Resistance sets (using a white torso with orange printing, rather than the reverse). So they could use it as well.

https://brickset.com/minifigs/sw1019/poe-dameron-(pilot-jumpsuit-without-belts-and-pipe-hair)

33 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

There was a variation on the Poe pilot fig done for one of this year's Resistance sets (using a white torso with orange printing, rather than the reverse). So they could use it as well.

https://brickset.com/minifigs/sw1019/poe-dameron-(pilot-jumpsuit-without-belts-and-pipe-hair)

I belive that was done to show off the different resistance style, with much brighter colours and more white on the jumpsuit. I'm not sure they would use it for a IX set.

10 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I'm not sure they would use it for a IX set.

Do we even know if Poe will wear his orange flysuit again?

1 hour ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Yes, we know it, thanks to merchandise.

Two words: Constable Zuvio.

3 hours ago, jdubbs said:

Two words: Constable Zuvio.

What are you talking about? You didn't hear about the Zuvio standalone trilogy after his scene-stealing role in the force awakens? :roflmao:

However, this isn't a zuvio as  Zuvio was a character that was seen on set/in concept art and made into a figure despite that he was never really going to have a real role in the film. With Poe's flight suit, it's a costume that logically would appear as long as he is flying an x-wing, something we can be 100% sure will happen.

On 10/1/2019 at 9:13 AM, Lego-Freak said:

We do have conflicting information concerning the TIE Whisper.

Maybe this helps... (not much spoiled, but still)

Spoiler

RssKRuv.jpg

Edited by Flieger

4 hours ago, Flieger said:

Hide contents

RssKRuv.jpg

Depends on what these modifications are... If it‘s the wings, then the confusion is cleared, but if not, we still have the same problem :grin:

Also interesting to see that the TIE Dagger is also known as the Sith TIE Fighter... The latter seems a bit more merchandise-y, so don’t be surprised if the upcoming set ends up bearing that name :laugh: 

On 10/6/2019 at 8:29 PM, Flieger said:

Reveal hidden contents

RssKRuv.jpg

So the sith tie fighter likely belongs to the sith troopers? I'm now hoping for a sith trooper varient of the FO pilot.

I believe based on our current information via merchandise;

TIE whisper is Kylo's

TIE dagger is sith fighter

However, the merch could be wrong.

So the new Y-Wing is supposed to be a new model, it seems, and not an almost 60 year old relic flown by someone who scavenged/modified it.Don't know how I feel about this new information yet. Anyway, I'm still on the fence about the Kenobi hut (I like locations but I'm afraid the 30€ price it will get will still be too much) and curious about the bantha/skyhopper microfighter. Waiting for pictures and to see the show about the Mandalorian BP and for the rest I don't need another landspeeder and don't care about the sequels, so my wallet should be quite happy this january.

3 hours ago, Per_SW said:

So the new Y-Wing is supposed to be a new model, it seems, and not an almost 60 year old relic flown by someone who scavenged/modified it.

That makes the reuse of the design extra lazy, if it's supposed to be a new model just design a brand new ship alltogether

18 hours ago, Per_SW said:

So the new Y-Wing is supposed to be a new model, it seems, and not an almost 60 year old relic flown by someone who scavenged/modified it.Don't know how I feel about this new information yet. Anyway, I'm still on the fence about the Kenobi hut (I like locations but I'm afraid the 30€ price it will get will still be too much) and curious about the bantha/skyhopper microfighter. Waiting for pictures and to see the show about the Mandalorian BP and for the rest I don't need another landspeeder and don't care about the sequels, so my wallet should be quite happy this january.

I'm personally pretty happy that the y-wings finally got an update, but I expect as with everything the resistance uses that these were probably created not that many years after the battle of endor, so they'll still be old. the best/worst of both worlds, depending on what you wanted from it. I agree with most of what you've said about the 2020 sets, except I've ruled out the kenobi hut and will buy the mandalorian battlepack almost no matter what. I'm very excited for that bantha microfighter though, we'll fially have an official lego bantha, and I personally prefer brick-built large creatures to the giant molds, so this will work well as a baby bantha or something.

14 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

That makes the reuse of the design extra lazy, if it's supposed to be a new model just design a brand new ship alltogether

I mean, the designs of the ships are very similar, I'm not sure how different they could make it look without veering into further inaccuracy.

5 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I mean, the designs of the ships are very similar, I'm not sure how different they could make it look without veering into further inaccuracy.

Going OT for a moment, I think what both mine and @Guyon2002 problem with a "new" Y-wing is that it goes against both the new canon and the old canon/EU, now legends, as in the old one, if I remember correctly, the Y-wing was an old ship already by the time of Yavin and it was completely supplanted by the more modern B-wings by the time the empire fell; and in the new one the Y-wings in ANH are confirmed to be relics of the clone wars by Rebels (season 3 premiere, where we see them steal some which are being decommisioned). So the perceived laziness of the new Y-wing is not so much criticism on the design (which is itself a throwback to early McQuarrie sketches), but on the fact that 30something years after Yavin the concept of the Y-wing should be something already known, tested, tried and discarded. Then again we won't know until the movie comes out AND this Y-wing counts as a 2019 set so, along with any opinions about its design and/or existence, belongs in another topic. I know I opened this can of worms so that's why I'm trying to close it before it escalates.

Getting back on the 2020 topic, I usually prefer the moulds for creatures (either single or composite, such as dinosaurs since the 2000 adventurers), but after seeing the Dewback from january I'm quite hopeful about the future Bantha.

The new Tusken Raider minifig and the Leia hologram piece have leaked on IG... Nothing we haven‘t seen before of course, but at least this marks the start of the next wave of leaks :sweet:

The TIE Dagger will include Finn, a pilot and an unknown character (most likely the KoR from that head leak). With those figures, 470 pieces and a pricetag of $80 I'm pretty sure this set is going to sell miserably

41 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

The TIE Dagger will include Finn, a pilot and an unknown character (most likely the KoR from that head leak). With those figures, 470 pieces and a pricetag of $80 I'm pretty sure this set is going to sell miserably

That sounds quite disappointing :sadnew: A Sith Jet Trooper would've been neat, but at least they may show up in the Battlepack instead.

4 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

That sounds quite disappointing :sadnew: A Sith Jet Trooper would've been neat, but at least they may show up in the Battlepack instead.

So far it has been referred to as First Order battlepack though, so it wouldn't suprise me if it came with 2 normal Jet Troopers and 2 stormies/officers

22 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

So far it has been referred to as First Order battlepack though, so it wouldn't suprise me if it came with 2 normal Jet Troopers and 2 stormies/officers

True, but the Mandalorian BP also has a generic name at the moment, I doubt it comes with 4 versions of the eponymous character :wink: