Hello there,

This is my dream car which I'll probably never be able to afford, so I built it myself :sweet::ugh:

This model is finished, so while I'd love to hear your opinion, it probably won't result in any changes :tongue:

Scale: 1:7.7

These functions are controlled in the inside of the car:

-Pop up headlights

-6 speed manual tansmission hooked up to a exposed fake Engine

-front boot release (or whatever this is called)

-steering (and HoG)

Doors and trunks and glass engine cover can be opened.

Double wishbone suspension all around

Ackerman steering geometry

Detailled interior and Engine bay

Sariels Model Scaler helped me soo much to get all the proportions and angles accurate, I can only recommend using it.

I tried to make the car look as clean as possible by replacing  different colored pins and stuff with black ones, as far as possible. 

Instructions are now available on Rebrickable:

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-30093/Gray_Gear/moc-90s-honda-nsx/#comments

IMG_20190702_182746.jpg

IMG_20190702_182837.jpg

IMG_20190702_182935.jpg

IMG_20190702_183007.jpg

IMG_20190702_183141.jpg

IMG_20190702_183212.jpg

IMG_20190702_183413.jpg

IMG_20190702_183511.jpg

IMG_20190702_183701.jpg

These pictures are not very good quality, because I took them with my smartphone in my dusty basement, and because I basically dont know anything about photography.

Hope you enjoy them anyways.

Gray Gear

Here are some pictures of just the transmission, the shift mechanism will follow up soon ;)

3_Honda%20NSX%20Transmission.png

2_Honda%20NSX%20Transmission.png

1_Honda%20NSX%20Transmission.png

The green Gear is where the Crankshaft of the Engine is attached.

This is the shift mechanism. The red parts are directly moving the Gear rings. Hopefully this helps to understand how things work.

Blue = 1/2 gear

Yellow = 3/4 gear

Gray = 5/6 gear

1_Honda%20NSX%20shift%20mechanism.png

2_Honda%20NSX%20shift%20machanism.png

3_Honda%20NSX%20shift%20mechanism.6b.png

The Green Assembly is to stop multiple Gears to engage at the same time. It picks up the left and right movement of the shift lever and moves a sliding blocking piece in parrallel to the lever. Like this, it is impossible to engage a gear without moving the shift lever, and multiple gears cant engage at the same time and cause a block.

Gray Gear

Edited by Gray Gear
More Pictures

Very clean design. I love it - the shaping is very close to the original, the creative use of the panel placement. The only area that seems a bit off is the nose. A very hard area to replicate but that’s it. Great stuff!

Wow ! This looks stunning. If I had this, I wouldn't miss the original :wink:

Such clean lines with almost all Technic (very few system pieces) is very impressive.

Would love to see some of the internal mechanisms as well.

Thank you for sharing.

Stellar job, it looks incredible. You got all the lines right and all the details really make it pop. :thumbup:

OH I love it!!! I need to send this to my friend who works for Honda America.

1 hour ago, iLego said:

Such clean lines with almost all Technic (very few system pieces) is very impressive.

Thank you for sharing.

I could do an underbelly picture, but it probably would not be very helpful, almost the entire Transmission is covered by the shifting mechanism underneath it. The transmission is what I built the whole car around, so it is one hell of a complicated mechanism. I can work a little with LDD or LDCad, so maybe ill do a Model and upload it here somehow, if that would help. But no promises :grin:

Very impressive build :thumbup:, I'd love to see the "under the hood" details too, but don't rip it appart just yet. :sweet:

looks great! I love how you isolated the interior from the chassis by covering everything up.:thumbup:

I was actually admiring this same car in a parking lot yesterday, and I have to say that this is excellent representation of it. Plenty of details, and all the lines look really good. :thumbup:

Goodness, i remember this fantasy from my teens. Wonderful recreating her in Lego.  Im assuming functions are all manual? And more pics of like the engine and opened back would be great.

3 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

Goodness, i remember this fantasy from my teens. Wonderful recreating her in Lego.  Im assuming functions are all manual? And more pics of like the engine and opened back would be great.

More Pics are coming up soon, I am just working on a LDCad Model to show the Transmission. Yes, all functions are operated by hand.

Thanks alot for all your nice comments, I really appreaciate it. I uploaded some pictures of the transmission, and I'll upload some more detailed pictures later.

Edited by Gray Gear

You've done as great job shaping the nsx.  Congratulations on a great design.  The front seems a stud long but just my opinion.  Wow!

Amazing MOC, somehow the nose evokes Ferrari to me (think 308/328), but it is pretty accurate for the NSX too.

The shift mechanism is really cool, ive never considered that as a solution to shifting a remote gearbox.

7 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

13 hours ago, iLego said:

Thank you for sharing.

9 hours ago, Attika said:

Very impressive build :thumbup:, I'd love to see the "under the hood" details too, but don't rip it appart just yet. :sweet:

Here you guys go, have some more detail pictures :) 

IMG_20190703_164433.jpg

IMG_20190703_165040.jpg

IMG_20190703_165148.jpg

IMG_20190703_165304__01.jpg

IMG_20190703_170044.jpg

IMG_20190703_170202.jpg

Welcome to EB, Kamerad default_default_satisfied.gif ! Congratulations on this fantastic build, I absolutely love it :wub:

Would be interesting to learn more about your Lego „background“. How far is your experience? How long did this build take you? How many takes did you need to finish a particular section?

17 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

This is my dream car which I'll probably never be able to afford, so I built it myself 

Brother, this is the sporty attitude you should keep forever, no matter what :thumbup:! Don´t let get you by the flattery, but always try to improve to get your wished results in the (probably never really) finished project.

Sariels Model Scaler helped me soo much to get all the proportions and angles accurate, I can only recommend using it.

You are not a genius for doing this, but I often wonder why others genius still don´t. Maybe it sounds stupid to someone, but thank you for the german accuracy, Sir. The outcome looks satisfying.

I tried to make the car look as clean as possible by replacing  different colored pins and stuff with black ones, as far as possible. 

And this :thumbup:.

These pictures are not very good quality, because I took them with my smartphone in my dusty basement, and because I basically dont know anything about photography.

It´s difficult to photograph a black model.The extra efforts are worth it, generally spoken. There are some good threads here about this kind of issues worth reading. 

Btw. a side view (from a far perspective if possible) would be great to see as well. Good if you nailed it on spot too.

1 hour ago, vectormatic said:

Amazing MOC, somehow the nose evokes Ferrari to me (think 308/328), but it is pretty accurate for the NSX too.

Indeed it´s known that the NSX design was inspired by a Ferrari back then, namely the F40. The "wannabe" status of the Honda NSX was a major key to the legendary success, which seems never can be beaten again by the successors.

13289eddie_and_ed1.jpg

1 hour ago, brunojj1 said:

Welcome to EB, Kamerad default_default_satisfied.gif ! Congratulations on this fantastic build, I absolutely love it :wub:

Would be interesting to learn more about your Lego „background“. How far is your experience? How long did this build take you? How many takes did you need to finish a particular section?

Brother, this is the sporty attitude you should keep forever, no matter what :thumbup:! Don´t let get you by the flattery, but always try to improve to get your wished results in the (probably never really) finished project.

You are not a genius for doing this, but I often wonder why others genius still don´t. Maybe it sounds stupid to someone, but thank you for the german accuracy, Sir. The outcome looks satisfying.

And this :thumbup:.

It´s difficult to photograph a black model.The extra efforts are worth it, generally spoken. There are some good threads here about this kind of issues worth reading. 

Btw. a side view (from a far perspective if possible) would be great to see as well. Good if you nailed it on spot too.

Indeed it´s known that the NSX design was inspired by a Ferrari back then, namely the F40. The "wannabe" status of the Honda NSX was a major key to the legendary success, which seems never can be beaten again by the successors.

13289eddie_and_ed1.jpg

So, I am 20yo right now and have been building with lego since i was like 5 or 6yo. I have always built from lego what I was intrested in, be it guns, knives, trucks, tanks, or cars. Technic was always my favorite.

From first transmission concept to final product it took me about 4 months.

During that time I took the car apart many times to improve rigidity of the whole body, or to fit in a function. (Example: The switch on the center console used to pop up the headlights is hinged on the axle that transfers rotation to the steering wheel, one hell of a ride to get that to work) 

Everything was redone at least once. You name it, it has been improved or modified at some point. I even had to reduce the width of the already working transmission by 1 stud on each side to be able to fit the rear suspension system. 

I ordered a lot of bricks just to get everything as close to perfect as possible.

I had to wait a lot for new parts to arrive, so I often went back to alredy finished sections and improved them.

This is the first large scale car I ever built, so of course I ducked some things up in the beginning which had to be changed or improved on like 2 months later when I got some more expirienced. 

But it was so much fun, cant wait to order some new pieces for my next Project car :drool:

Gray Gear

Edited by Gray Gear

I see black wheel arches at the rear.. were they painted?. are you planning on making instructions? Would like a little video of it too :)