I threw together this little vignette to showcase my latest custom mini-fig, The Horned King from The Chronicles of PrydainI did the scene twice; once with Taran and again with Gwydion because the elements of Taran needed to go back to other figures yet I wanted to keep the scene on my shelf for a while at least. I like how much the scene changes with the expression on the foreground character's face. The images with Gwydion, in blue, were something of an after thought, so I apologize for the quality.

0630192337_zpsjika5f0m.jpg

0630192352_HDR_zpslgah367z.jpg

About The Horned King:

Spoiler

The antlers (horns) are paper cut outs, painted in a water-based acrylic. The pattern is the same which I cut-and-pasted from the Forrest-men's emblem to make this custom shield graphic. The shield is actually not a Lego shield. I though I had one to spare but it went to another figure, so I made this one from recycled card-stock (beer box). I super glued some balsa wood scraps together to make the handle. His torso is a recolored chest from Indiana Jones. The cape he wears is a custom design, printed, cut out and painted with the same sort of paint. The swords were just in a bulk lot; I have no idea where they came from but they look cool. He's my own interpretation, governed in part by time and material allotment. While he has a cowl like the Disney version, I really meant him to resemble the character in the books more.

0630192344c_zpsaddhfizz.jpg

0630192344a_zpspocavydw.jpg

0630192344b_zpsm5fdghr1.jpg

0630192345a_zpsrsv0ged2.jpg

I like doing these, what I call "Quick and Dirty' customs. Sure, I could order custom parts and have everything professionally pad printed, if i wanted to spend money and wait weeks. It's, IMHO, more fun sometimes to just sit down for a few hours, get creative, and have a cool new character at the end of the day. 

Well I hope my menacing dark lord brightened your day a bit. Thanks for checking him out.

More Images Here

That shield is inspiring. I especially love the simplicity of the second picture. Looks like a creepy alt build from 90s lego boxes/instructions.

2 hours ago, TomSkippy said:

That shield is inspiring. I especially love the simplicity of the second picture. Looks like a creepy alt build from 90s lego boxes/instructions.

I like that! I see it too, couldn't put my finger on it, but you're right. It's like that '90's yellow background all the box art had. The bricks are actually tan, but I guess it's the exposure. Thanks!

Shields are easy! There's a host of 'em on Classic Castle, including blank templates like the one I started with :pir-wink:

Really nice fig.  I wonder if you drill holes in the hood and used the antlers from brick warriors how that would turn out.  

@zoth33 I looked at those, and I'm sure it would work out great, but, it would kind of defeat the purpose. I'd have to plan ahead and actually spend money :sceptic:. This guy is just quick and dirty for the fun of it. I'd like to do a better one in the future, more reverent to the books, and for that I might order some custom parts. I'm thinking of making a whole faction under this banner, for which this version would hang around, but wind up being a wizard or something. It's all just dreams though. Thanks though!

Just now, kurigan said:

@zoth33 I looked at those, and I'm sure it would work out great, but, it would kind of defeat the purpose. I'd have to plan ahead and actually spend money :sceptic:. This guy is just quick and dirty for the fun of it. I'd like to do a better one in the future, more reverent to the books, and for that I might order some custom parts. I'm thinking of making a whole faction under this banner, for which this version would hang around, but wind up being a wizard or something. It's all just dreams though. Thanks though!

Cool it was just a thought.  Have fun building that faction, should be interesting.