I designed and built my latest Lego vehicle, “Billy Goat’s Steamboat,” for Eurobricks’ bonus collaboration, “The Great GOAT Boat Race,” displayed at Brickworld Chicago 2019. The steamboat is my first boat MOC since childhood.

48166095597_86c7099cfe_z.jpg  48166095452_6f200735aa_z.jpg

There were no rules for this collab except that it had to be a boat featuring a goat. 

45368884234_80bdbebc7a_z.jpg

The hull was modified from an earlier MOC, Joker’s Blimp (lower right), but in place of cross axle supports inside, I used 11x11 quarter gears (upper right), anchored apart by a couple layers of plates to hold the shape.

48095154116_21a7cfefc3_z.jpg

48166095992_d44d6e2861_z.jpg

Underneath there are wheels to easily move the boat, however the total weight kept Billy Goat’s boat from gathering enough steam to move from the pair of independently rotating PF-enabled paddle wheels.  Oh well, such is the the typical pitfall of designing entirely in LDD prior to testing with real bricks.

48166097177_7351348383_z.jpg

Billy Goat’s Steamboat was nominated for Best Sea Vessel at Brickworld Chicago 2019.

Wow this is amazing!! :wub: The techniques are complex, but look seamless in the finished product. I look forward to seeing many of your future MOCs!

Now that is a Goat Boat!

The technique looks amazing, (and mind boggling) which certainly comes out in the finished product. 

What I Love though, is it still looks Fabuland. The colours and the aesthetic fit right in.

I think you could build plenty more boats. :thumbup:

This looks great. While looking very Fabuland in colour/parts, it also has a similar absurdity look to it as the top heavy TLM Sea Cow.

That's a great boat with nice windows.

It reminds me a bit of 3673 from 1985

Excellent boat !

The hull design is complex and fits very well for such a boat. The Fabuland aspect is very well rendered !

What else to say... :wub:

Great job !

On 7/5/2019 at 9:12 AM, Wout said:

That's a great boat with nice windows.

It reminds me a bit of 3673 from 1985

I did draw upon 3673 for inspiration, and it was the reason behind not initially including a captain’s bridge around the steering wheel.  But with the build nearly finished, I felt the steamboat looked too incomplete without a bridge.  

There also is a reference to the 3665, Ice Cream with Scooter, in Harry Horse’s jealousy of Billy Goat’s showing off of the boat to Clara Cow.

It's a great boat. like the whole thing, the colors, the shape and stuff.
Especially the hull looks amazing. What others already told also, it looks almost seamless.

What I also like is the combination. It looks 'simple', I mean the colors, Fabuland animals and stuff, but it looks also very 'technical' with the hull for example. Maybe it's not the rights words/expression so I hope you understand

Only one thing, just my thought, I think the reardeck is a bit small. I think a bit bigger would be nice so they can all relax in the sun.

Hello!

What a lovely boat! It immediately brings you back to your Fabuland memories. Very clever construction of Fabuland-styled shapes and forms! :classic:

Cheers,

Chris