Murdoch17

Gravel loading facility for railroad hopper wagons - set 733 inspired real world MOC

This model was inspired from this set-733 like MOC by @AFOL7777.  I turned it into a railroad-served industrial track ballast loading facility to have the crane load dark bluish gray 1 x 1 round bricks into the crane's bucket. Then you can drop them into train hopper's when they arrive with the pull of a sliding plate.

48924703871_23783d9a28_z.jpg

You may have noticed I had to extend the height of the model 1 brick, to allow for Diesel 10 to fit underneath, as he is the primary engine to work the ballast facility. (His claw made him too tall, but it's okay now.)

48924703926_09e23edacb_z.jpg

The tan tile parts under the crane are the pull pins to make the coal fall into the hopper cars.

48924903937_5d7d4c2ca5_z.jpg

Inside of the crane with "controls" for the bucket motors and the crane itself, which travels along some narrow-gauge tracks and can swing from side to side.

In reality, the "hand of god" method is used to make the crane move, with a rope extending to the roof of the crane cabin which I can wind and unwind to load and unload the ballast into the train cars.

48924903892_dfd915f867_z.jpg

The office of the owner of the ballast operations.

The reason for the odd footprint is the factory MOC I made earlier this year resulted in a base-plate piece (dimensions 16 x 48 studs) that I was looking to use somewhere.... enter into the picture this model, and now I've nearly solved that little issue.

48816881042_8c3178b552_z.jpg

This 6 wide BR "Warship"class with hydraulic claw (AKA Diesel 10) model has been heavily modified by me from a old Class 37 file by LazarusBricks to have new removable roof sections for the cabs with seats for figures and cab controls. As you can see, I chose to leave off the face to keep the engine more in line with the rest of my locomotives. Diesel 10 works the ballast facility most of the time, so I included him here.

49370288692_40586ecd6d_z.jpg

I'm going to have my Diesel 10 model pull 6 of these coal cars plus a brake van inspired by the 1980's 12v era red/ yellow sets to my gravel facility. The 12v era model and Diesel 10 are already built, and the plank wagons are on order as of 1/11/2020.

NOTE:
All credit for the six dark grey wagon models seen in the picture above goes to @Pdaitabird, who designed them. See here on Flickr for the awesome tutorial by him for the construction of the BR plank wagon.

BUILDERS NOTES: The ballast facility is now done, but the trucks to be filled with the crushed rocks are not (yet). More pictures to come soon!

Edited by Murdoch17

On 7/1/2019 at 4:16 AM, Man with a hat said:

Nice. The 7777 inspiration is clear. But nicely modernised

On 7/1/2019 at 10:43 AM, XG BC said:

nice moc/mod! i like the retro feel it has!

XG BC

Thank you @Man with a hat @XG BC, I really like to do retro + modern mash-ups, it makes it challenging to the old style using modern parts.

48765732116_f23d3b4a58_z.jpg

I just added a few new revised touches and a new train (seen above), so I hope everybody doesn't mind the small bump...

Great work!  This loading facility looks very nice - It should be awesome when put into a diorama or a bigger tran-related scenario! :laugh:

Diesel 10 has a very mean look! *oh2*

Edited by Paperinik77pk

On 10/20/2019 at 12:20 PM, Paperinik77pk said:

Great work!  This loading facility looks very nice - It should be aawesome when put into a diorama or a bigger tran-related scenario! :laugh:

Diesel 10 has a very mean look! *oh2*

Thanks @Paperinik77pk! I will hopefully find a place for this at the next train show I attend in early February with Gateway LUG, and yes, Diesel 10 is a very mean diesel. Some would even call him evil!

Edited by Murdoch17

I know it’s a little down to the wire, but hopefully the just ordered-parts will come in time for my UK coal cars to be done so I can bring them to Great Train Show on February 1st & 2nd with my ballast loader.

49370288692_40586ecd6d_z.jpg

I'm going to have my Diesel 10 pull 6 of these BR plank wagons plus a brake van inspired by the 1980's 12v era red/ yellow sets to my gravel facility. The 12v era model and Diesel 10 are already built, and the wagons are on order as of 1/11/2020. (I just hope they get here in time!)

NOTE:
All credit for the six dark grey wagon models seen in the picture above goes to @Pdaitabird, who designed them. See here on Flickr for the awesome tutorial by him for the construction of the BR plank wagon.

Edited by Murdoch17