I'ts been a while since I finished this model, probably some months after getting my hands on original Saturn V. The latter seemed lonely on the shelf and it was my mission to build it a company. As an engineer I always admired these large structures but always been too lazy to do something in that direction. After seen the proposal at Lego Ideas for Umbilical Tower, I started to gather ideas, pictures and most important the - bricks.

Since 20th of July marks 50 anniversary, it seemed like a good idea to present this project. Therefore I took model from the shelf, dusted of some dust and took some new pictures. The last time I didn't get the time since I was running late for our BrickFest.

1. Planing and Building

As any good creations, this started as a plan, something like this:

Nacrt_primerjava.jpg

The next step was scaling. I am sorry Sariel, but I am more familiar with pen and paper than your great tool (the top should be at aprox. 140 studs).

540x800.jpg

The internals of the Launch pad was made out studded technic bricks which are quite suitable for carrying a lot of load. These proved vital in the later stage when Pad is occupied with the tower and Saturn V.

https://www.bricksafe.com/files/teflon/saturn-v-technic-launchpad/Ploscad_07.jpg/800x450.jpg

The outside was tiled with tiles and the building of the tower could go on.

https://www.bricksafe.com/files/teflon/saturn-v-technic-launchpad/Ploscad_04.jpg/800x450.jpg

The most critical component was how to attach the tower to 4 points, while allowing beams to be at angle in both direction (from the plans and pictures it could be seen, that tower is getting narrower and  thinner at the same time). A person is added at the corner to get a feeling of a scale of the tower.

https://www.bricksafe.com/files/teflon/saturn-v-technic-launchpad/Finished_bottom.jpg/800x450.jpg

The solution is presented here, an angle connector at 157.5°:

https://www.bricksafe.com/files/teflon/saturn-v-technic-launchpad/PoC_roka2.jpg/640x480.jpg

2.The Big Thing

The result is here:

533x800.jpg

I've tried my best to show the whole thing but my dining area seems too small.

It looks more beautiful with Saturn V:

533x800.jpg

And picture from behind:

533x800.jpg

On the top there are some knobs to conrol the support rods, the position of the white room and the top support above the capsule. Please note that crane is also fully operational.

533x800.jpg

Another picture of the top with crane in lift-off position. The central column (gray) has room for an elevator, however it was not added since it would be very difficult to observe

533x800.jpg

White room and the Apollo 11. I hope the astronaut on the plank is not late.

800x533.jpg

And bottom up view.

533x800.jpg

3. Details

Mobile transporter is simplified to the bone: just some necessary things. And of course it should be capable of having a tone of bricks on its shoulders:

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

A functional crane is simple but I hope it adds to the character of the tower

800x450.jpg

Pad is almost clear with exception of some service buildings

800x533.jpg

Some more files can be found at my Bricksafe page.

I hope you like it. It's always an conversation starter at home. Please feel free to comment or ask a question.

43 minutes ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Wow, this is a worthy addition to the official set.

Definitely!

Very nice creation.

Saturn V is probably one of the best official sets ever, and now I want both, the rocket and this tower to complement it... Really nice work!

Thanks everyone for kind words.

Part count is unknown, perhaps between 5-10 000 parts. A lot of those are not visible (internal in the pad). Unfortunately there will be no instructions. I am to clumsy for that (and some connections are illegal for sure), however If more pictures are desired, I'll do my best.

Wow, this is awesome! I used a bit of technic in my own LUT model, but I never dreamed it would be possible to do one with pure technic. Very neat solution for the base of the tower, getting all four sides to slope inwards.  And fantastic to see the crawler done as well!

That looks really great.. i would love to have one for my son..he has the saturn V in his sleepingroom in an upright position, but i will drop one day....!!

It does look really good..! How tall is it ? I've just completed one in LDD.. It's 3.7 Meters tall, the tower is just over 4 Meters...!! WAY TO BIG to be practical.. LOL I should have done it in the smaller scale..!

Perfect addition - or better to say: this launch pad steals the show. :thumbup:

2 hours ago, darthulvyan said:

It does look really good..! How tall is it ? I've just completed one in LDD.. It's 3.7 Meters tall, the tower is just over 4 Meters...!! WAY TO BIG to be practical.. LOL I should have done it in the smaller scale..!

Practical or not, there is at least one minifig scale Saturn V and LUT in existence.  At least as of last year it was short a few service arms though

5 hours ago, DanNeely said:

Practical or not, there is at least one minifig scale Saturn V and LUT in existence.  At least as of last year it was short a few service arms though

Holy crap, that is one huge Saturn V! The LUT is a little skeletal, but for sheer size this is a jaw-dropping MOC!

(Do you have, or know of, any closeups of the Apollo CSM? Would like one at mini-fig scale to go with the new Lunar Lander set :classic:)

Edited by NathanR

21 hours ago, NathanR said:

Holy crap, that is one huge Saturn V! The LUT is a little skeletal, but for sheer size this is a jaw-dropping MOC!

(Do you have, or know of, any closeups of the Apollo CSM? Would like one at mini-fig scale to go with the new Lunar Lander set :classic:)

I haven't.  I'll admit I'm mildly surprised I haven't heard of any enterprising designers using the time since the lander was announced to have on designed and ready for release day.

Totally awesome @teflon!:wub:

Is the Saturn V actually held down by the clamps? If so, how do they work? It's not too stable standing up by itself, I noticed *huh*

Ever since I got the Saturn V set I wanted to have a LUT to go with it. I was very excited to see the Ideas submission, but it obviously didn't make it. Your version looks really good and might inspire me to give it a try to build one myself :wink:

@NathanR: I remember your post asking for help with the swing arm mechanisms. I was wondering were the project went; I don't get in the Special Themes section very often.

Edited by Ludo Visser

Wow, it flew by me how many LUTs have been build and they are all splendid. But I agree, Saturn V is one of more inspiring sets, at least for me. And having seen minifig Saturn V ... mind-blowing.

@Ludo Visser There are three clamps. They got releaset just at liftoff, but the mechanics is unknown to me. However they could be observed on many launch films. Mine are designed after the design of Lego Ideas'. Sorry, but in reality they are quite weird shape and was one of those things I was planning to deal latter.

Here is the picture:

m288.gif

Quite hard to build in 2 x 2 x 5 stood space.

Mind boggling impressive! :drool: I'm sure this looks incredibly awesome in real life considering how big the Saturn V is already.

Amazing build! Great job, i would buy this in a heartbeat if it was ever released bij Lego!

10 hours ago, teflon said:

@Ludo Visser There are three clamps. They got releaset just at liftoff, but the mechanics is unknown to me. However they could be observed on many launch films. Mine are designed after the design of Lego Ideas'. Sorry, but in reality they are quite weird shape and was one of those things I was planning to deal latter.

Here is the picture:

m288.gif

Quite hard to build in 2 x 2 x 5 stood space.

Your picture shows the tail service masts. I was referring to the hold-down clamps:

m287a.gif

(More info here and here). I would be nice to have those actually working, since it would greatly stabilise the model, but in 2x2x5 space that is going to be really hard, and I can't identify a good clamping point on the LEGO model.

Anyway, I'm getting carried away here :blush:

14 hours ago, DanNeely said:

I'll admit I'm mildly surprised I haven't heard of any enterprising designers using the time since the lander was announced to have on designed and ready for release day.

Lego Ideas user WhatsUpToday had a great Apollo 17 project, with LM, CSM and lunar rover, it could make a good springboard for a new design:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/73cce907-875e-4386-9648-58e47eae480a

10 hours ago, teflon said:

There are three clamps. They got releaset just at liftoff, but the mechanics is unknown to me. However they could be observed on many launch films.

Actually, those are the tail service masts.  They provided electrical and liquid (?) connections to the first stage, right up to the moment of launch.  The Saturn V was fixed to the launch pad by four hold-down arms placed 90 degrees apart around the base of the rocket.  They basically held the rocket to the launch pad until it was confirmed that all five F-1 engines had ignited and throttled up to full power.  Only then were the clamps released and the rocket allowed to fly.

This is a schematic of the hold-down arms.  You represent them on your LUT as the black 2x2x3 slope bricks the rocket stands on:

hold%20sat%205%208479230811_78fcfec4b3_o

@Ludo Visser Snap!

Edited by NathanR