Sign in to follow this  
SalvoBrick

15 years of Brickville (my Lego city)

Hello!
This year my Lego city, later called Brickville, is 15 years old. I've started it around May-June 2004 when I had both time, space and money to build the dream of childhood: a whole Lego city.

In summer 2004 it had only classic City sets, and only a few MOCs built in the same style (open backside and such) 
lt15_01.jpg

After a few years I wasn't satisfied anymore of this style, so in 2008 I built a new version with railroad, "closed backside" buildings and sidewalks. 
lt15_02.jpg

In 2009 I've started to include modular buildings, but the modularity wasn't for road baseplates. 
lt15_03.jpg

Then I was forced to move and only in 2012 I had enough time and space to build a new, full modular city. Due to space limitations, I was able to include only a small portion of the railroad, near the station. 
lt15_04.jpg

In 2014 my city turned 10, including a few more buildings and some more realistic trees. 
lt15_05.jpg

Today I have more realistic details, tiled road sides, even more realistic trees, a city park, a construction site with a proper crane. 
lt15_06.jpg
lt15_07.jpg
lt15_08.jpg
lt15_09.jpg
lt15_10.jpg
lt15_11.jpg

Plans for the future are to build in my attic a new railroad-only diorama and making this one a city-only one.
If I'll have enough money and time I'll start it next year :)

Hope you liked and let me know if you have any question.

Edited by SalvoBrick

I like that you’ve managed to combine the modular style of buildings with a Classic Town colour scheme and styling. A lot of nice custom buildings here, a lovely compact city with a lot of attention to detail.

Have you any close up shots of the construction site? I adore that Building Crane, I think it is undoubtedly the best LEGO City Set ever produced. 

There is something so innocent and amazing about those small sets from the 80's.  Built with just a few pieces in many cases.  Clearly they would not match the requirements of the toy market today, but they hold a place in many people's hearts and you can see why.

Hello!

The shelf behind your town layout on the fourth image looks still pretty empty. :wink: With a layout that large I would have guessed it's filled up with brick boxes. :classic:

Cheers,

Chris

On 7/11/2019 at 4:02 PM, Legostein said:

...The shelf behind your town layout on the fourth image looks still pretty empty. :wink: ..

That was in 2012, I'm guessing it isn't empty anymore. :D

I love it!  Smart having your build right up to the edge, for easy expansion with more board/table. 

<3 The Batman chasing the criminal on the rooftop.  I often add similar touches!

Seeing the evolution over time is really neat.  I hope when I move into my next home I can start building a big layout like this again.
{I wish I had documented more of my past builds.}