Mister Phes

JOIN THE CREW - LEGO Pirates Forum is looking for a News Editor!

Ahoy crew - NEW Opportunity!

The LEGO Pirates Forum is recruiting again!

So to ensure Pirates receive the attention they deserve, we'd like to promote a News Editor to make regular pirate posts on the Eurobricks frontpage.

Every 7-14 days, the chosen candidate will select a recent creation from the Pirates MOC Forum and post it on the frontpage.

Training will be provided and you'll gain access to a hidden forum known as The Shipyard.  Special Pirate Tags and Rank Promotions will be awarded to those who do the job well!

News Editor

This it could lead to much bigger things - just ask Professor Thaum!

If you have what it takes to be a News Editor, please post your interest in this topic!

I just wanted to stop in and say I love this idea!!! Any chance we'll be seeing this elsewhere on other forums? :thumbup:

5 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Training will be provided and you'll gain access to a hidden forum known as The Shipyard.

What is "The Shipyard" supposed to be? :shrug_confused:

5 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

This it could lead to much bigger things!

Such as... (?) :shrug_oh_well:

2 hours ago, Trekkie99 said:

I just wanted to stop in and say I love this idea!!! Any chance we'll be seeing this elsewhere on other forums? :thumbup:

Thank you, @Trekkie99!  It depends upon how successfully it works for the LEGO Pirate Forum and whether the staff managing the other forums are open to the idea.

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

What is "The Shipyard" supposed to be? :shrug_confused:

The Shipyard is a hidden sub-forum of the LEGO Pirates Forum in which we prepare content for Classic-Pirates.com and work on special projects relating to Eurobricks.

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Such as... (?) :shrug_oh_well:

Three of the current Eurobricks Administrators got their start on the Eurobricks Staff after volunteering for the LEGO Pirates Forum and/or Classic-Pirates.com... there have also been numerous Moderators and Regulators, past and present, which began their Eurobricks careers in the Shipyard.

These people worked hard and deserved to recognised for efforts so I recommended them when new staff were required.

@RoadmonkeytjI did this job for a little while, some time back. I wasn't very good at it. You really need to be a sort of "fan boy" because it's less about being here and more about being out there. The trick is in keeping up with news and builds from all the Lego community, not just Eurobricks (or just ships, pirates, seafaring stuff, etc.) That's never been my thing, so I found it a struggle to learn where to look and to then keep up with the latest. It's just not a job for someone who's not already doing it for them selves.

12 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

I don't know how qualified I am but I am potty trained and do haunt the pirate forum quite frequently ... Every day is frequent right? 

Yes, everyday is quite frequent.  Full training will be provided if you're interesting in learning.

5 hours ago, kurigan said:

I wasn't very good at it. You really need to be a sort of "fan boy" because it's less about being here and more about being out there.

That's for the Classic-Pirates.com blog, this task is specifically updating the Eurobricks frontpage using finds from the Pirates MOC Forum.

But as I was barely active for three years, I'm not entirely sure what your experience was because I wasn't the one who provided your training.

5 hours ago, kurigan said:

The trick is in keeping up with news and builds from all the Lego community, not just Eurobricks (or just ships, pirates, seafaring stuff, etc.) 

That certainly isn't a requirement for this position, but if somebody wants to search further afield than Eurobricks, they're welcome to.

However to begin with, we're keeping this as simple and easy as possible.

8 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Yes, everyday is quite frequent.  Full training will be provided if you're interesting in learning.

That's for the Classic-Pirates.com blog, this task is specifically updating the Eurobricks frontpage using finds from the Pirates MOC Forum.

But as I was barely active for three years, I'm not entirely sure what your experience was because I wasn't the one who provided your training.

That certainly isn't a requirement for this position, but if somebody wants to search further afield than Eurobricks, they're welcome to.

However to begin with, we're keeping this as simple and easy as possible.

Oops. OK then! Sorry :look:

13 hours ago, kurigan said:

Oops. OK then! Sorry :look:

No worries, thank you for contribution in the past!

If you look at the Eurobricks Frontpage you'll notice there is not a lot to it.

Basically, it's a sentence to introduce the creator and the MOC, another sentence to direct the reader to the MOC's topic and then an image of the MOC.

The training takes about 5-10 minutes which is just me giving tips on how to do the above more efficiently.

That's a great initiative !

Thank you for opening the Pirate subforum crew @Mister Phes !

If I understand, the job will be to find new MOCs from the Eurobrick Pirate Forum and to promote them on the front page. That's a good idea. We never see enough pirate stuff... :pir-grin:

I am interested in helping here as I am a quite old member of Eurobrick, I am very frequently in the Pirate sub forum; I am a regular Pirate MOC builder and a member of the Game Brethren of the Brick Seas.

By this, I am quite present on all the Pirate Forum and could help to put in frontpage some great builds that have less visibility (for example, I am thinking at some excellent ships we've seen in the last BOBs contest which could have deserved more views)

49 minutes ago, Faladrin said:

I am interested in helping here as I am a quite old member of Eurobrick, I am very frequently in the Pirate sub forum; I am a regular Pirate MOC builder and a member of the Game Brethren of the Brick Seas. By this, I am quite present on all the Pirate Forum and could help to put in frontpage some great builds that have less visibility (for example, I am thinking at some excellent ships we've seen in the last BOBs contest which could have deserved more views)

This is just what we're looking for - someone who frequents and is already quite engaged in the LEGO Pirates Forums!

Now that we've got a couple of expressions of interest, I'll leave this topic open for another day or so, and then we can progress to the next phase.

Definately interested as welll

Pirates stays open all the time, us usually check the forums daily.

I am active in the BoBs game as well.

Have always wondered why we rarely have a presence on the front page ... Now theres an opportunity to change that.

Edited by Roadmonkeytj

9 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

This is just what we're looking for - someone who frequents and is already quite engaged in the LEGO Pirates Forums!

Now that we've got a couple of expressions of interest, I'll leave this topic open for another day or so, and then we can progress to the next phase.

Great to hear !

I am curious to see what is the "next phase" ... :moar:

This looks interesting, but I probably shouldn't volunteer (for some of the same reasons that I declined the offer of being a Pirates staffer a while back). I am certain I could fulfill the role, and I think it would be fun, but I probably should leave that to someone who might be better suited to doing "bigger things" in the future, or even long-term. Best of luck to whomever is selected.

16 hours ago, Captain Dee said:

I probably should leave that to someone who might be better suited to doing "bigger things" in the future, or even long-term. Best of luck to whomever is selected.

Ambition isn't necessary, if the selected candidate(s) only wish to post MOCs on the frontpage, that's fine.  Although, we'd prefer people who can perform that role in the long-term to save having to train new recruits on a regular basis.

Anyway...

Congratulations to @Faladrin and @Roadmonkeytj who have been nominated as the successful candidates.

And thank you to everyone else who has expressed interest or taken the time to share their thoughts.

3 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

Anyway...

Congratulations to @Faladrin and @Roadmonkeytj who have been nominated as the successful candidates.

And thank you to everyone else who has expressed interest or taken the time to share their thoughts.

Thank you !

That's great news ! And congrats to @Roadmonkeytj too ! 

Good choice, @Mister Phes - I have full confidence in the two chosen and happy to see that BoBs and pirates are already getting more attention!

Just noticed this now, coming back from a hiatus has its surpirses. :pir-grin:

Good to see more activity here, and best of luck to the new powdermonkeys! I'm sure they'll do a great job. :pir-sweet:

On 8/21/2019 at 11:22 AM, Darnok said:

Just noticed this now,

Same! Two great nominees I think. I suggest the nominees not to forget/to check Instagram #legopirates as well, I see a lot activity there.

It's that time again!

Anyone brave enough to join the Classic Pirates crew and occasionally update the Eurobricks frontpage with awesome Pirate MOCs?

15 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

It's that time again!

Anyone brave enough to join the Classic Pirates crew and occasionally update the Eurobricks frontpage with awesome Pirate MOCs?

That's a good thing. LEGO Pirates is also Pirate MOCs and Brethren of the Brick Seas.

I don't know what happened, but he was punished enough for that:

@Count Vroskri

Rank: demoted News Pirate no longer sails the Frontpage Seas

This comment (Rank) should be deleted!

4 hours ago, NOD said:

I don't know what happened, but he was punished enough for that:

A while back there were a couple of recruits focused on posting Brethren of the Brick Seas MOCs on the frontpage... but after a period of time they seemed to let their duties fall by the wayside despite several reminders.

Not sure about punished - what's that in reference to?  But they were demoted silently for not doing the job they agreed to.