Lok24

[MOC] Factory with working forklift

Hi all,

here's my little forklift, driven by a mindstorms EV3.
It' a module to play with, so there is no automatic function, forklist and capstan are handled via the EV3 remote control manually, the turntable is completely manual.

P-010.jpg

The forklift
P-004.jpg

and how it is set on the mechanism

P-005.jpg

The red plates move it forward/backward, the 2 black round parts tilt the fork.

The mechanism itself:

P-006.jpg

P-012.jpg

You can see the two very thin plastic stripes which run between the large tiles

P-007.jpg

The magnets you can see have nothing to do with moving, but only keep it on the floor when loaded.

Here is the video (1:40):

Have fun.

Edited by Lok24

What an excellent build!  It all looks seamless and is a lot of fun to watch.  How reliable is it?  Did you often have to reset or fix anything during the course of the exhibition, or does it hold up pretty well?

29 minutes ago, deraven said:

What an excellent build!  It all looks seamless and is a lot of fun to watch.  How reliable is it?  Did you often have to reset or fix anything during the course of the exhibition, or does it hold up pretty well?

I can only echo this ... Also Could it be programmed to load/ unload multiple cars?

14 hours ago, deraven said:

To be honest - nothing to fix at all, and I often took the forklift up to show visitors the "mystery", most oft them assumed some magnetic solution.

The only thing to be adjusted is the thread of the capstan, due to humidity or temperature

13 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

I can only echo this ... Also Could it be programmed to load/ unload multiple cars?

Sure, and there is a (hidden) programm to return the vehicle to startpoint (in the house) and release the fork or a second  to move to the waggon.
But they never were used.

The complete module (together with the Station "Steinbronn")  is designed to be completly managed manually, all switchs and signals and crossing are moved by PF-Motor/Sbrick, but controlled by a PoweredUp Handheld. All three Locos were driven by PU or Boost motors, controlled by a PoweredUp Handheld or the PoweredUp-App (Batmobil-mode!) on a smartphone.

And there is the turntable and the track which can be used by only one waggon to make things more difficult.
So the mangement of a freight train with perhaps 3 waggons , while 3 others  are standing in the station and have to be returnd, may take half an hour ....

6 hours ago, Lok24 said:

mangement of a freight train with perhaps 3 waggons , while 3 others  are standing in the station and have to be returnd, may take half an hour ....

Lol but a Train of say 5 wagons ... With no turntable could reduce the time ... Im building a inglenook puzzle for our clubs interactive section ... So naturally something like this raises my eyebrows as a future "add-on" lol

Understandably the wagon in yours is pre programmed to be pulled to a point.  But if a movable "stopper" would only allow the "user" to drive the train so far for each car loaded ... In theory a load operation could be set up and a unload of a second train correct?

the tracks in the station are too short, only three waggons allowed :wink:

And yes, capstan ist handled by the remote control too, and you can load and unload whatever you like.

On 7/4/2019 at 10:57 AM, Lok24 said:

Hi @Zephyr261

there a pictures of the interior in my post, what do wan't to kow?

Like, I am confused as to what is inside the building itself. Does it have like conveyer belts and machines, or is it just the mechanism that is inside

Wow, what an ingenious build. No less than magic (until you reveal the secret). Also, the mechanisms combined with such a clean look is so impressive. Thanks for sharing.

By the way, the turntable is also nice.

12 hours ago, Zephyr261 said:

Like, I am confused as to what is inside the building itself. Does it have like conveyer belts and machines, or is it just the mechanism that is inside

There is nothing in the house execpt the mechanism as shown and the EV3 brick and its motors and sensors.

It's not designed to be opened public.

This is fantastic! Well done!
Is it possible to let the forkflift run completly automaticly with this technic?

Just now, AntiZombie said:

This is fantastic! Well done!
Is it possible to let the forkflift run completly automaticly with this technic?

Yes, as there is a sensor, but it is designed as a model to play with, also for visitors, so it is programmed but wasn't in use.

Wow! For someone like me, who is a complete mindstorms and programming illiterate, this looks incredibe! :classic:

Hi,

it could be built with PF or PoweredUp as well without any changes, just use it with the normal remote control then.

13 hours ago, paul_delahaye said:

Nice version of this model.  Looks very similar to the original concept by Karin Falkenback a few years ago.  

Hi, the model you mention above is mine as well and was presented in this forum by me here in 2015:

baywa-warehouse-and-working-fork-lifter

and the technical details:

Technic

13 hours ago, paul_delahaye said:

I like how you've adapted it to work with containers though.  

There are some differences:

The small one from BayWa is completely automated, but has no function.

The new one is a little bigger, is controlled completely manually  and has the function to tilt the fork and therefore looks very naturally.
And the load may be heavier.

It was designed and build for an exhibition in June where a complete layout was remote-controlled, but all manually switched via one(!) a PoweredUp handheld, including 2 locos, crossing, signal, switches.  spill, fork lifter via the EV3 remote-control, visitors could play with it, turntable manually

Freight was handled via a card system similar to FREMO

Edited by Lok24

nice, I did wonder if it was done by the same person, but thought you may have mentioned where the idea came from.  Good to see the design has evolved.  I personally still love the original automated version, It must have wowed the crowds wondering where the load had gone to?

Yes. the account is my wife's account....I use it for my MOCs...

Yes, first version was funny too, but my models are always build for a specific purpose and exhibition, thats the reason for the differences.