Sign in to follow this  
Mister Phes

August Newsletter has been released

August Newsletter has been released!!!

If you want to receive Newsletters then let us know right away!

Visit www.classic-pirates.com/subscribe.html to subscribe!

Post your ideas and suggestions for future newsletter in this thread!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps the latest Torso designs as we seem to be getting alot of those at the moment. I like the featured MOC idea which you seem to already have in place.

Definitely the featured MOC is a *y* idea, perhaps there should even be a few of them - like "this months most noteworthy MOCs" or something. After all it's possible to have more than one great MOC at the same time, and we wouldn't want to harm any of the builders by not noticing them...

Edited by Dreamweb

Perhaps the latest Torso designs as we seem to be getting alot of those at the moment. I like the featured MOC idea which you seem to already have in place.

Yes, this could be something we do.

Definitely the featured MOC is a *y* idea, perhaps there should even be a few of them - like "this months most noteworthy MOCs" or something. After all it's possible to have more than one great MOC at the same time, and we wouldn't want to harm any of the builders by not noticing them...

Only problem is we probably don't have enough spectacular MOCs to feature more than one per month otherwise we'll run out. But we will be hosting an event in the future where users can choose the MOCs they like the best and that should give us a better indication of how many MOCs are worth featuring.

Yes...well maybe we can feature MOCs more fully if we know the builder. Then we can get a few comments or something from them as well. Like how long the MOC took, what the inspiration was, what they like best about it, that sort of thing.

Or maybe we could just do a mini-feature, even if not in every month of a MOC builder! We could ask the builder how long they have been making MOCs and what their other favorite themes are, and what other MOCs they have in the works or whatever. It could be a randomly selected builder, or the builder of a featured MOC, or even just anyone who has been making a spectacular contribution in the recent past.

We could also do a poll here on the forum for which MOC/MOCs to include in the monthly newsletter. Or perhaps have each admin/mod feature a different one per month, however that would work out.

We could have pirate/LEGO® related polls on the forum here that we intend to feature in the newsletter, and publish the final results of the polls in the next month's newsletter.

Also I guess I am not opposed to only allowing a single MOC of the month, or whatever, at least initially. because I feel like eventually the Newsletter may become more MOC oriented as time goes by as we can only run set reviews for a short while since there is currently no new LEGO® Pirates sets coming out... that we know of, and after which, we can feature more MOCs.

Yes...well maybe we can feature MOCs more fully if we know the builder. Then we can get a few comments or something from them as well. Like how long the MOC took, what the inspiration was, what they like best about it, that sort of thing.

Or maybe we could just do a mini-feature, even if not in every month of a MOC builder! We could ask the builder how long they have been making MOCs and what their other favorite themes are, and what other MOCs they have in the works or whatever. It could be a randomly selected builder, or the builder of a featured MOC, or even just anyone who has been making a spectacular contribution in the recent past.

Yeah, it would be great if we could do a mini feature but like you said we don't always know who the builder is. However, we do have a number of fine builders who post in this forum, which includes yourself so there's a starting point.

We could also do a poll here on the forum for which MOC/MOCs to include in the monthly newsletter. Or perhaps have each admin/mod feature a different one per month, however that would work out.

I suggested a similiar idea to Jipay last November and that's a far as it went. Its something I've been contemplating for the future but we've also got a similiar MOC related selection coming up in the near future so it would probably be best if we got that out of the way first so as not to confuse people.

We could have pirate/LEGO

What kind of polls though? And would we get sufficient feedback to make this feasible?

Well if it were known that is the newsletters official "poll of the month" it might receive adequate attention. Also, if we insert a link into the next months poll in the poll results from the previous month, maybe many who receive the newsletter would also vote in the poll.

I am not sure what we could/would ask, I would imagine it would be the kind of questions we see here. You know, "what is your favorite set", "do you prefer guards or soldiers", "what is your favorite land based MOC?" I just think it would be another fun little section and it would be very easy to administer. In college they did such a thing in the school newspaper and then added the quotes of the rationale of about 10 random people who voted. We could do the same thing. If the poll was what is your favorite set you could pull the quotes of a few people who voted for the BSB if it were the winner and one or two who voted for other sets and insert them into the results. I think that poll questions with only two or three options might be best in many months so we have a strong majority opinion and strong dissent, such as guards or soldiers, or ITP or EF type things, but that could vary depending on the month. It was just an idea to add a fun section.

If we only review one set per month we can make them last 6 and a half years. Surely by then we'll have new Pirate sets X-D

Is every set even worth reviewing? If so, then I guess maybe we might want to do more than one MOC a month... surely we have more MOCs than LEGO® has pirate sets. It could take years just featuring MOCs in the ship index!

HMM... Interveiws of people who MOC at EuroBricks... interesting...

Also, this may not relate to the newsletter, but the se itself. How bout dividing the MOC galleries seperatly by the members who MOC here. As in Zcerebus gets a folder containing the Phantom and Fort Brighton, I get a folder with my designs and Fort Victoria, etc. Similar to what they do on FBTB.

Edited by Norrington

Is every set even worth reviewing?

Absolutely! Then of course, I don't think we have enough reviewers with enough spare time to do all that work :)

Well if it were known that is the newsletters official "poll of the month" it might receive adequate attention. I just think it would be another fun little section and it would be very easy to administer.

I like this idea. Encouraging interaction is a good thing and this might be an interesting way to achieve it.

Is every set even worth reviewing?

Every set is going to have a page on Classic-Pirates.com and each page will have be linked to a discussion thread, so might as well go one step further and review the set too.

Also, this may not relate to the newsletter, but the se itself. How bout dividing the MOC galleries seperatly by the members who MOC here. As in Zcerebus gets a folder containing the Phantom and Fort Brighton, I get a folder with my designs and Fort Victoria, etc. Similar to what they do on FBTB.

Interesting you should bring this up because ZCerberus and his brother were going to work on a webpage for this MOCs and we discussed the idea of providing users with their very own page on Classic-Pirates.com. So you could have an address like norrington.classic-pirates.com and all your MOCs could be displayed.

However, they haven't updated me on their progress so nothing has really happened yet.

So you could have an address like norrington.classic-pirates.com and all your MOCs could be displayed.

That would be so great! Something like MOCpages but for Pirate builders only.

That's partially correct. MOCpages is a dynamic website allowing users to create accounts and upload images, what Classic-Pirates.com offered would be substantially less because I don't have the skills to create a pirate version of MOCpages. I'm not sure whether ZCerberus's brother does though.

But the principal would be similiar.

Of course, what's more, it wouldn't make any sense to make a clone of MOCpages limited to Pirate MOCs, I just meant it would be similar because everyone would have his individual site with his own address, which would concentrate on his MOCs. A very cool address I might add :)

The downside to this is someone would have to maintain these pages manually and that obviously consumes time and resources. The reason I haven't gone ahead with it yet is because I don't have the time to do it myself, so someone else with the web design skills will have to.

But if someone has web development skills are wants to create a dynamic component for Classic-Pirates.com I won't object :-D

Interesting you should bring this up because ZCerberus and his brother were going to work on a webpage for this MOCs and we discussed the idea of providing users with their very own page on Classic-Pirates.com. So you could have an address like norrington.classic-pirates.com and all your MOCs could be displayed.

However, they haven't updated me on their progress so nothing has really happened yet.

Well I gave him directions, but I haven't heard back. I hope it means he is working diligently on the pages... but we''ll see!

It will also depend what he's going to do with the pages. Perhaps I should send him the template used for Classic-Pirates.com because it might not be a good idea to have two completely different designs on the same domain because that might be confusing.

It will also depend what he's going to do with the pages. Perhaps I should send him the template used for Classic-Pirates.com because it might not be a good idea to have two completely different designs on the same domain because that might be confusing.

That could be VERY helpful!

If you could send it to me, I will make sure I send him what I want done to it. I changed the e-mail address a few days ago so it was closer to my handle on here... it will be my EB/C-P e-mail address! Anyhow, you can send it to that one!

I forgot to mention the template requires Dreamweaver otherwise it'll be treated like a normal webpage in other editor.

What I'll need to do is setup an account on Classic-Pirates.com first so you can enter the FTP details into Dreamweaver and then it will become synchronised with the existing website. This way you'll always have the latest version of the template.

I don't check my email all that often, but was pleasently surprised to receive the newsletters.

I don't have any suggestions at this time. I just wanted to give a thumbs up *y* for your efforts on the endeavor.

For the gallery thing, could we each do our own, as in we each have the choice of what to put there? Because that was a source of trouble for me in the Torso Gallery Collection...

BTW: @ out mods and admin: Is my sig too big? I tried to make the image wider than tall, but it didn't work, and then I just made it as small as it could go without being distorted.

Edited by phred

For the gallery thing, could we each do our own, as in we each have the choice of what to put there? Because that was a source of trouble for me in the Torso Gallery Collection...

Are you talking about making a tread for all your MOCs?

Like a personal gallery thread? Or are you talking about your own domain on CP?

BTW: @ out mods and admin: Is my sig to big? I tried to make the image wider than tall, but it didn't work, and then I just made it as small as it could go without being distorted.

There are no strict rules on signatures on EB

But yours is probably the biggest I've seen so far.

When you make sure that your average posts are longer than your signature, nobody will complain :-P

Are you talking about making a tread for all your MOCs?

Like a personal gallery thread? Or are you talking about your own domain on CP?

There are no strict rules on signatures on EB

But yours is probably the biggest I've seen so far.

When you make sure that your average posts are longer than your signature, nobody will complain :-P

1) Yes, I mean we decide how we do our own CP domain

2) Well, no-one's complained so far X-D

Sorry to bump this post, but I've had a large amount of free time, and I'd be willing to learn something new. I volunteer to design the galleries.

ZCerberus hasn't provided any updates on how his brother is progressing so I can't tell you what's happening there.

But to update/maintain these galleries you'd have to have a good understanding of Dreamweaver and how it uses templates. This will make you several months to learn so get praticing!

I gotta few Ideas for the Newsletter:

1. Monthly Review - Of sets Reviewed and whats coming up!

2. RebelRocks Mocer Tips! - Gets his own section!

3. Telesell Section! - Mr Tibers page, if you want to sell any lego or could have some Bargain posters.

4. Cool Creations - Like Lego.com, have a section for this Months Mocs!

Ill keep the Ideas Rolling!