Hi, all!

I really enjoyed the Dimensions release of the Sonic the Hedgehog character, but found it a little lacking that we only ever got that one figure and a tiny build. I got back into LEGO in a big way with the release of TLM2 and the help of 70841-1 Benny's Space Squad, and realised that there was nothing stopping me from experimenting with my own. To that end, I've been working on a series of related builds since early February (although bits and pieces come from abandoned LDD files from 2016!)

For those interested, I did publish this as a LEGO Ideas project back in late February, and it's already past halfway to the goal. If what you see in this topic takes your fancy, it would be very much appreciated if you supported it. ^u^

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

32246158097_d92e39af21_c.jpg

To start with, I decided to challenge myself by creating a collection of builds that looked like it might be an official LEGO set - with an economical use of parts, conservative use of new printed pieces, and a heavy emphasis on play features. The result was this - a number of small figures, two modules that could be connected together, and a giant robot because mechs are awesome! But the mech holds another surprise...

unknown.png

...it can be opened up to reveal a bigfig Dr Eggman (or "Robotnik", if you're so inclined)! The Eggman build was inspired by the Hawkodile figure from Unikitty 41453-1 Party Time, and it's the only thing in this topic I've also built physically as well as digitally (with some minor substitutions). Unfortunately, LEGO is a little costly to buy a ton of parts every time I want to make another build for this...

unknown.png

Another thing I'm quite proud of is the spring function. By hammering a technic lever down, anything on top of it can be launched in the air! This is an adaptation combining two features I've seen in official LEGO sets - the spring component resembles a feature from Minecraft 21130-1 The Nether Railway, where a small button makes a Magma Cube move up and down, while the lever component draws more inspiration from the Go-Kart launchers from the Summer 2018 Friends wave.

unknown.png

By this point, I'd already published the first group of builds, but I still had the drive to keep on going - so I started out with extra modules, each containing new action functions. This one is a falling platform!

47985720082_c456c2315e_c.jpg

Flick-fire missiles are fun, don't judge me - even if the jumping fish badnik had to be compromised a little to work as one. Also - apologies for the text superimposed onto this image; I didn't save unmodified copies when adding it. If I had thought ahead, I probably would have saved them seperately. At the very least, I took care not to obscure anything interesting.

unknown.png

One of my favourite set of builds is the Hard Boiled Heavies, though. They're an entertaining team of Badniks with great designs, and converting them to LEGO was quite fun. I did have to edit in a lot of fake prints, but I think they definitely came out quite well, given the limitations of the medium and the desire to stay in-scale.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you'd like to see more pictures of these and other builds, please check out my Flickr album! I intend for this to be a living thread- whenever I have a new build to add onto the project, I'll make another post in this topic.

In any case, thanks for taking a look! <3

This is great! You really captured the game atmosphere perfectly. It took me back. Some great functions there as well.

Thank you very much, Vindicare ^u^ If you have any suggestions for other things to tackle, I'd love to hear them!

Thank you, Brick Rides UK :D

I had desgined a completely different concept a few years back, but only dug it up pretty recently. Here it is - the Chemical Plant!

48221376712_e463e86134_c.jpg

It contains lots of similarities to the existing MOC, but has a few extra things like the moving blocks lever function and the hinged sections! (Again, apologies for the embedded text. It does well on social media and alright on Flickr, but is probably a bit much for a forum...)

Edited by toastergrl
whitespace correction

Thank you very much! ^u^

unknown.png

I've done a good number of additional builds since I last posted in this thread, but here's the most recent one for those interested...