Henchmen4Hire

What would you like from a Sci-Fi Racing theme?

maybe, sets about racing drones in space (like micro SW/microscale polybags sets )

each with it's support vehicule/command center  and crew. each one with a different style .

since the racing drones could be anything (no minifig pilot to fit inside),  they could have some different equipments or configuration to go against different terrain  (space, lava, asteroids, surface, etc).

and the different ''factions'' could have different strength depending on their building styles.

clarification:

**  the drones would be microscale style spaceships.....the crews and support vehicules would be minifig sized  **

Edited by Mr Lyo
making more sense

Did a quick sketch of what some of the terrain pieces could look like for the Ice Racing idea.

•These are strange stone structures, and because they're crumbling the racers think they're just gravestones or markers. However, it turns out they're warnings left by an ancient culture, representations of the giant Icy Rock Worm that lives in the region.

•They would be built "looser", enough so that they would shatter on impact with a racing machine. I imagine strategically using a few tiles instead of plates would create enough weakness. Right now they flatten when run over though.

•The racing machine here isn't anything special, just wanted to see if a 6 wide looked okay.

I'll have to echo what was said before, the terrain and structures should look very "alien", otherwise we get a weird conflict of aesthetics with fancy sci-fi racing machines but boring terrain.

7i5BbjB.jpg

5BVvcXt.jpg

Edited by Henchmen4Hire

On 7/1/2019 at 3:33 PM, Aanchir said:

So that leads me to wonder: what type of play features should a space racing theme have?

Chima's speedorz flywheel could easily be included in small spaceships, that can then be raced.

22 hours ago, MAB said:

Chima's speedorz flywheel could easily be included in small spaceships, that can then be raced.

The solution on the SW Solo speeder works pretty well too.

I'm considering running a small challenge in the Sci-Fi forum, where participant will have to build what could be small sets of a Sci-Fi racing theme. @Henchmen4Hire actually started that just two posts above ;)

If you are interested, I'll work on some simple rules and create a dedicated topic.

Would be cool to see everyone's ideas fleshed out with bricks (however gross fleshy bricks sounded haha)

Edited by Henchmen4Hire

5 hours ago, Bob De Quatre said:

I'm considering running a small challenge in the Sci-Fi forum, where participant will have to build what could be small sets of a Sci-Fi racing theme. @Henchmen4Hire actually started that just two posts above ;)

If you are interested, I'll work on some simple rules and create a dedicated topic.

Excellent idea for a contest Bob! :thumbup: :sweet:

Say, seeing that you've popped on by, I just remembered your two Runner Mechs in relation to this topic! Perhaps @Henchmen4Hire could add that as a conceptual possibility for the index of racing machines she's created in the OP! :wink:

35487693525_5a35773305_c.jpg35779944626_d495e1fc6d_c.jpg

1 hour ago, Henchmen4Hire said:

I already added it like sunday or monday

Oh shoot, I didn't even check before I suggested. :facepalm: I see you're calling them "Leggers" rather than Runners:

On 6/21/2019 at 10:41 PM, Henchmen4Hire said:

Leggers
There are usually bipedal, but can have more legs. They're basically a pair of mechanical legs that run fast, the driver sits somewhere between them.

23 hours ago, Henchmen4Hire said:

Would be cool to see everyone's ideas fleshed out with bricks (however gross fleshy bricks sounded haha)

Well, I suppose I could re-post these here as they sort of fit the idea. I like the idea of basically identical shapes with different colour schemes (I used to like formula one before it became a bit rubbish), but I also like the aesthetic of Wacky Races and Cannonball Run where anything goes. Probably difficult for official Lego sets to satisfy us here. The balance between vehicles being creative enough to appeal to you and me but sturdy and cheap enough to be played with by children might be hard to achieve.

20190529_213401

20190511_173326

How cool would it be if there was magnetic track and repulsor pieces to let sets actually hover above the surface? It's probably impossible- or at least impractical- to do that, but it'd be so neat to have sci-fi vehicles able to float above the surface when they usually need a stand or wheels (or their bases). That would certainly pique my interest, anyways.

16 hours ago, JoeyB said:

How cool would it be if there was magnetic track and repulsor pieces to let sets actually hover above the surface? It's probably impossible- or at least impractical- to do that, but it'd be so neat to have sci-fi vehicles able to float above the surface when they usually need a stand or wheels (or their bases). That would certainly pique my interest, anyways.

Maybe something with rails or Technic pieces and a bunch of magnets repelling each other, both along the track and under the length of the vehicle.

Or a big "magnetic mat", with strong magnets under the vehicles to keep them hovering?

Might be cool as a one-off set