Hey guys, here's a MOC I've been planning to make for quite a while now: the 1972 Winnebago Brave. RV's have gained virtually no attention in the world of Lego Technic, so I'm pretty excited to see what I could accomplish in this MOC. I also plan on bringing this MOC to BrickFair Virginia this summer.

I decided to do a Winnebago for this project because my friend back in Iowa has a passion for Winnebago RVs. Out of the many Winnebago RVs out there (Cheftain, Indian, etc) and model years, I settled on the Brave because her favorite model is the 1972 Brave. Despite it being an unusual subject for Technic, I nevertheless plan to include all those "traditional" Lego Technic supercar functions on this MOC, such as steering, suspension, and transmission.

Currently, the chassis is about 2/3 of the way complete, with most of the mechanical features now in place. In between the seats is a fake V8 engine connected to a massive 4-speed transmission shifted using the rotary catches from the 42083 set. The transmission is shifted using the paddle to the right of the driver's seat - it uses a rubber band mechanism similar to the one on the 42083 to rotate the catches 90 degrees for each press of the paddle. The gear ratios are 2.08:1, 1.33:1, 1.25:1, and 1:1.25. Both axles will have live axle suspension, and the steering mechanism includes a working steering wheel.

This MOC will have no motors, and it is in fact my first MOC without any motorized functions. To increase visibility of the mechanics, I plan on incorporating a removable body and floorplan to expose the chassis down to its bare bones. I may also include a customizable floorplan to increase playability (like the Creator Ford Mustang set with all its customizable features). I may also include some accessories to go along with the model, such as a canoe or kayak.

PS - shoutout to my friend for providing me brochures of the RV. Had all the information I needed to get the building process going. :classic:

Photos:

IT9ntqr.jpg

jmXxFJC.jpg

X3YtnjR.jpg

MGvQu65.jpg

Edited by JLiu15

8 hours ago, BrickWild said:

Please keep us informed of updates! :sweet:

I will!

I’m really looking forward to how this one goes.

3 hours ago, Mechbuilds said:

Can't wait for updates! This will be one awesome winnebago! 

Yessss :D

Will update when full chassis is complete!

UPDATE 6/26/19

Hey guys, I've finished the chassis of the Winnebago. I've decided to go with the D20 as I found out the chassis was longer than I thought. I shortened the chassis from the previous update a bit (note the knob wheels now being used to shift the transmission instead of the bevel gears). I also removed the HoG steering, which I didn't want to, and have steering only be controlled by the steering wheel (like in the 42056, 42083, and Mustang sets). This was because the steering mechanism had way too much play in it due to all the axles and gears transferring motion from the back of the model (where the steering knob was supposed to be) to the front. The axles and gears were an eyesore as well, so by eliminating the HoG steering it really cleaned up the surface of the chassis. It will be difficult to steer, of course, but I plan on incorporating a removable body/floorplan so the steering wheel should be easily accessible with the body removed.

A challenge in building the rear 1/3 of the chassis was that the live axle required a "bridge" in the chassis. As a result, that area had a tendency to bend, especially with the shock absorbers exerting force in that area when the suspension is compressed. To reinforce it, I added a second layer of beams and some diagonal ones as well. The area immediately above the shock absorbers has even more reinforcement. The reinforcements virtually eliminated the bending tendency.

If you guys have any suggestions for me, please let me know.

Photos:

Wek9S5z.jpg

ZWUKm3u.jpg

w5p2A1z.jpg

mvjhYVj.jpg

Edited by JLiu15

Awesome!  
Have you thought about gearing the fake engine up so it spins faster? 
Makes great noise when it's moving. 

2 hours ago, Mechbuilds said:

Awesome!  
Have you thought about gearing the fake engine up so it spins faster? 
Makes great noise when it's moving. 

Thanks!

As for gearing up the fake engine, I don’t need to do that as 4 different speeds are available through the transmission.

Edited by JLiu15

UPDATE 7/7/19

Hey guys, I've finished the floorplan of the Winnebago. The floorplan includes a dining table, two benches, a bed, a range and sink, and a step well. All 5 attachments are removable and are able to stand upright when removed. Honestly, this past week I felt like I built several small MOCs lol. :laugh:

Note the four 45 degree double bent beams attached to the chassis - they will be used to attach a "cage" for the body that keeps it firmly bound to the chassis when attached. The "cage" will also be removable.

I plan on submitting this MOC to Lego Ideas when finished. It will be my first submission there.

Photos:

dkff0KQ.jpg

elxPy6U.jpg

Or778yd.jpg

putoVow.jpg

QDun5Fn.jpg

ejkzfaW.jpg

h8WLAvX.jpg

P5pRybn.jpg

Edited by JLiu15

any plans to make it RC? it looks dense so i imagine not but still great work so far!

also can we get a pic of the underside? im curious how you did the suspension setup because proper live axles are a tough thing to pull off

Edited by powerwindows83

1 hour ago, Mechbuilds said:

Interesting modules! Well done!

Thank you!

1 hour ago, powerwindows83 said:

any plans to make it RC? it looks dense so i imagine not but still great work so far!

also can we get a pic of the underside? im curious how you did the suspension setup because proper live axles are a tough thing to pull off

No, it won't be RC. I wanted it to go in line with the latest Technic cars (such as the upcoming Land Rover) and they all have similar functions - steering, suspension, transmission - all manual.

I might show the underside in the video when it's finished. The live axles are similar in design to those on the 42043.

1 hour ago, sirslayer said:

wow!!!

Thanks!

I love old Winnie’s so am enjoying watching this build progress. Growing up I promised myself I’d tour the World in one one day but life (and a very large tree *oh2*) got in the way.

Edited by grum64

19 hours ago, jotta93 said:

Very interesting so far! But it seems that you are missing the toilet :grin:

Lmao I realized that. Problem is I’m gonna have to build an entire structure around it that spans the entire height of the vehicle. For a MOC that’s focused on mechanics, I didn’t feel like going that far.

Also why there’s no wardrobe either lol.

28 minutes ago, grum64 said:

I love old Winnie’s so am enjoying watching this build progress. Growing up I promised myself I’d tour the World in one one day but life (and a very large tree :sweet:) got in the way.

That’s cool haha. Thanks!

Edited by JLiu15

Do you guys have any suggestions on printing custom stickers?

I have to model the “W” pattern and the “BRAVE” logo using custom stickers.

If any of you have experience with printing custom stickers, please let me know.

19 minutes ago, sirslayer said:

you can always buy cheap assorted stickers at the nearest 99 cent store!! 

The stickers, especially the “W”, would have to be precisely printed to scale - the width of which being the height of a standard Technic beam. The color would have to be precise to.

This means I’d have to get them custom made for me. 

@JLiu15 Personally always printed on a home printer (crappy paper cutouts with simple names/numbers... needless to say color and size fidelity is lacking) but Nico71 has used this Bricklink seller's custom stickers on his s2000: https://store.bricklink.com/fwsticker&utm_content=globalnav#/terms

Loving how the model is highly detailed (fantastic furniture) and functional, looking forward to the finished build!

On 7/12/2019 at 8:50 AM, Nazgarot said:

Looking forward to this. It's a great idea!

-ED-

Thanks!

On 7/12/2019 at 12:55 PM, syclone said:

@JLiu15 Personally always printed on a home printer (crappy paper cutouts with simple names/numbers... needless to say color and size fidelity is lacking) but Nico71 has used this Bricklink seller's custom stickers on his s2000: https://store.bricklink.com/fwsticker&utm_content=globalnav#/terms

Loving how the model is highly detailed (fantastic furniture) and functional, looking forward to the finished build!

Thank you! I’m currently making digital designs of the bodywork on Bricklink Studio. I’m also ordering parts in dark blue from BL as I will be making that the secondary color of the body.

Sorry to be late to party but I really like all that details like bed, sink ... It is very realistic and interesting build...as for stickers; I'm not such fan if stickers, so I would probably rather use Lego tiles with letters to for a word of phrase I want to be on vehicle...

UPDATE 7/31/19

I spent the past few weeks primarily working on the body. I have a virtual design of it made on Bricklink Studio, and I am currently waiting for some Bricklink orders to arrive. Fortunately, both are expected to arrive before I leave for BrickFair on Friday.

The red "frame" for attaching the body is removable. I will later add an attachment for the roof on there. There are 12 attachment points for the body as of right now - eight for guiding the body and four for securing it. Attachment points not on the frame are not removable.

I reworked the back of the chassis a bit, as it had a tendency to bend and cause the body to sag when placed on it. Also note that I removed the step well attachment - I will make that a part of the body instead.

I am leaving for BrickFair in two days, so right now I am just cramming to get the MOC finished lol. It looks like I won't have time to get it filmed before I leave, so that will have to happen after I come back. I will be posting pictures of it at BrickFair on my Flickr though.

Photos:

cUi2rKJ.jpg

VAxBQw0.jpg

DkR6JFy.jpg

1ZOXtlR.jpg

XdsmBEx.jpg

JQfw2Qj.jpg

Edited by JLiu15