Hi there,

I searched all day, but i didn't found the 3d model from the original of this set.
I'm busy building a moc of this one, and i like to make an instruction of my build.
So everybody else could make this build also if wanted.

Is there someone here who can help me with this?

Are you all using LDD?

7 minutes ago, Twannie said:

Hi there,

I searched all day, but i didn't found the 3d model from the original of this set.
I'm busy building a moc of this one, and i like to make an instruction of my build.
So everybody else could make this build also if wanted.

Is there someone here who can help me with this?

Are you all using LDD?

Stud.io seems to be more user friendly, but I has some problems when you try to use it to prepare instuctions.

Ok thank you maybe considering both. Does someone know of it is possible to get a file to upload from the landrover?

On 11/5/2020 at 4:32 PM, thekoRngear said:

Want an obvious solution? I dont see any other than rebuilding it once in every "few months". To free myself from this predicament, I removed the back gearbox completely and replaced the front one with a simple 4 speed one. "Few months" gone, so far it still works well for me.

Yes. That's a "solution" more than a SOLUTION though. It should work as designed and if it doesn't that's a crappy design which shouldn't be expected from a stock lego.

My rough terrain crane has been sitting on the same shelf for 2 years and it still works.

Hey, I know I'm very late (I got mine for Christmas):

I have the same gear crackling issues as all of you. Any new solutions found?

I watched @kbalage's video quite long ago, so I applied all of the stuff directly when I built the model. I even rewatched the video to make sure I did everything perfectly, and I did.

I am thinking about contacting Lego customer service. Has anybody already done that and got good results?

For now, I'll probably swap the positions of the differentials, as suggested in this topic.

Thanks for your help

@chlego It’s fairly normal. It’s a nice set but the standard drivetrain design is really hard to get right. I’d recommend stripping it down and rebuilding jb70’s pimped up version on Rebrickable. Apparently that one has a better designed drivetrain

3 hours ago, Bartybum said:

I’d recommend stripping it down and rebuilding jb70’s pimped up version on Rebrickable. Apparently that one has a better designed drivetrain

Thanks. I'll swap the diffs for now and if I have time later, I'll do that pimped up version.

Hello, I just finished building my copy of the Lego Land Rover, and it makes a cracking noise when in reverse/ hi or low/ gear 3,4. I know a lot of people are having the same issue as I am. I have searched throughout the web for an answer, but couldn't find a clear one. Some of the answers didn't work for me too. I found this one answer on Eurobricks from Twoofive: "I solved the issue by changing the 8/24 gearing to the diffs into 16/16 , works a lot better now." I don't exactly understand this answer by Twoofive. Can someone please explain this answer to me? Also if possible, please show me pictures of what it would look like after applying the answer from Twoofive. If the answer from Twoofive works to fix the problem, all credit goes to Twoofive. Thank you!

Edited by pizza12

Hey!

Thanks to corona lockdown I got my LandRover set and was very happy to build it up after nearly 17 years lego technic "abstinence". As I really enjoy modding stuff to perfection, I did a few upgrades and would like to share them with you. Main things include: 3rd set of hard red springs for the back axis, dual red hard springs for the front, front and rear bull-bar, trailer winch (will be upgraded soon), side-steps, snorkel, external air-filter, lightbar, some cosmetic addons i.e change of all visible blue pins to black ones and adding some round tiles, exchange of light gray parts to pearl dark grey (ladder steps and exhaust),

For the future I plan to build in a v6 classic engine, ackermann steering, a custom roof top tent, better tyres (maybe not Lego ones) and a suitable trailer thanks to jerry_sutton from rebrickable.

Sorry for the double post! I have posted that in the "Defender Mods and Upgrades" thread already but 't know how to delete my post here.

2021-01-21-23-12-10.jpg

2021-01-21-23-11-50.jpg

2021-01-21-23-11-47.jpg

2021-01-21-23-11-43.jpg

2021-01-21-23-11-36.jpg

2021-01-21-23-11-31.jpg

2021-01-21-23-11-19.jpg

2021-01-21-23-11-11.jpg

2021-01-21-23-10-52.jpg

2021-01-21-23-10-39.jpg

2021-01-21-23-11-39.jpg

2021-01-21-23-34-17.jpg

2021-01-21-23-34-22.jpg

Edited by harrygee

Has anyone who unfortunately suffered from gear cracking issues tried this one? Seems pretty promising

Edited by thekoRngear

Luckily I now have an opportunity to make the Landy’s steering Ackerman Geometry based ( @jb70’s Pimp Up version). Can anyone who has done it tell me how efficient it is compared to the default steering?

Little do I know about Ackerman steering. I have watched couple a videos but they all went over my head. Would be great help if someone made me understand how it works in layman’s terms

Edited by thekoRngear

1 hour ago, thekoRngear said:

Luckily I now have an opportunity to make the Landy’s steering Ackerman Geometry based ( @jb70’s Pimp Up version). Can anyone who has done it tell me how efficient it is compared to the default steering?

Little do I know about Ackerman steering. I have watched couple a videos but they all went over my head. Would be great help if someone made me understand how it works in layman’s terms

Wikipedia has a nice explanation of how it works: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ackermann_steering_geometry

I finally got round to building this today and, as I do tend to give official set designs a lot of criticism at times, it's only fair that I say what they also get right. There isn't much more to say about this set that hasn't already said, but one thing I haven't seen said about this set is that I think it handles/drives quite nicely. The suspension isn't too hard or too soft and the steering is geared quite nicely from both the optional HOG and also the working steering wheel in the cabin. It doesn't quite match the feel of 8880 or the test car due to 42110 having no Ackerman geometry and shorter steering arms (so the mechanical advantage is gained by gears which feel a bit rough and less direct) but of the modern sets, 42110 is easily the best handling and fun to drive around, easily beating the 1:8 supercars.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how is the building proceed of this set (mostly the engine, gear box and steering wheels functions) compared to the Bugatti set? I built the Bugatti two years ago and it was by far the most struggling set that I built. I received the Land Rover as birthday present the past year, I still didn't open the box because I am scared for a similar experience building this set.

I found it enjoyable and good. (Didnt have bugatti). Cant say that bouild is hard (first time build it while being very drunk, and was build in morrored state to have it in RHD), just follow instruction carefully, thats all.

Very straight forward. Just pay very good attention to the differentials and line up the slots of the u-joints to make sure the gearbox runs smoothly.

Good evening. First time sorry for my not so good English. Please forgive me.

I have a question, someone here had the Studio io. File posted by Defender. Unfortunately, you cannot download it with flour.
Does anyone else happen to have the file and could make it available to me?
I would be very happy about it. :blush:

I think the Defender is so beautiful that I had to buy two. One is already set up, with a few visual changes and has also been given a trailer (Moc) to go with it.
I wanted to build the second one at the weekend, which should then be a little more sporty with a black roof, bonnet, front, rear bumper, a little lower, etc .. :sweet:

Hi everyone. I just finished building my Defender, and it has a lot of resistance and cracking in higher gears (faster fake engine). I followed racing bricks ultimate repair guide, but I did not find anything wrong. I have currently disconected the u joint shaft leading from gearbox to red axle towards fake engine and the cracking stops. I see a delay in the gearbox, when I push car forward and stop, the gears in gearbox rotates little longer. Is it normal? Where should I look for problem?

25 minutes ago, Peter1999 said:

I see a delay in the gearbox, when I push car forward and stop, the gears in gearbox rotates little longer. Is it normal? Where should I look for problem?

The delay is normal in such a complicated drive-train, it is caused by backlash and the elasticity of the axles.

Just also finished the build and I really enjoyed it, als used @kbalage excellent material to double check everything. 

First check: if you put the gearbox in neutral or reverse everything should work. I also experience some cracking in higher gears, only when I drive the car very gently the higher gears work (with some cracking). I don't think this could be improved further.

1 hour ago, GerritvdG said:

The delay is normal in such a complicated drive-train, it is caused by backlash and the elasticity of the axles.

Just also finished the build and I really enjoyed it, als used @kbalage excellent material to double check everything. 

First check: if you put the gearbox in neutral or reverse everything should work. I also experience some cracking in higher gears, only when I drive the car very gently the higher gears work (with some cracking). I don't think this could be improved further.

The first check always worked for me, but after a week or two the cracking would also start to appear in the first two gears of Driving despite keeping in good condition. Reverse always would work. That being said the gearbox of 42110 is very temperamental.

Edit: the situation I have described was two year's ago when I bought this kit.

Edited by thekoRngear

On 2/14/2021 at 12:17 PM, thekoRngear said:

Has anyone who unfortunately suffered from gear cracking issues tried this one? Seems pretty promising

Tried this today (it is good that all needed parts are in spares and rear middle headrest), it helps, at least it prevents gears from damaging. Also when inspecting I noticed that DNR shaft was too stiff, so some of the forces transfered through friction to the R in D mode (tested with u-joint removed, fake engine still rotated). Loosening this connection also helped.

Overall, I love its complexity even with this downside. I will just keep in mind to push it around mainly in neutral  :laugh:

How long do you think it will be until this set is retired? I want to buy it (just not right now) but before it is retired and prices go nuts.