Just now, agrof said:

Sad to read that. I like the set though, but not owning it. Reading all the experiences, definitely must be a serious bargain (2nd hand, maybe half the price) once I decide to go for it.   

I bought mine for a pretty good price, ive already made a deal to move it on for that same price, so at least im not losing any money. Ill be more critical of sets like these in the future though, i can see myself bothering with all sorts of rebuilds and fixes for the Sian, but im not buying big sets just for the technic build without serious vetting, it seems like these 2000+ part monsters are really stretching the limits on technic, and for some reason tend to always contain some flaws which just shouldnt be there.

Am i the only one who had no problems with the Defender? Works like a charm, excellent building experience and brilliant end result!

3 hours ago, JunkstyleGio said:

Am i the only one who had no problems with the Defender? Works like a charm, excellent building experience and brilliant end result!

I didnt have any problems with my Def either... I never managed to make transmission cracking and skipping in regular play (without trying to crack it on purpose), I love how it looks, i love all that expierence with building it ( additional difficulty in my build was to build it morrored to get RHD model.)

11 hours ago, JunkstyleGio said:

How long ago did you get it?

22 hours ago, vectormatic said:

I bought mine for a pretty good price, ive already made a deal to move it on for that same price, so at least im not losing any money. Ill be more critical of sets like these in the future though, i can see myself bothering with all sorts of rebuilds and fixes for the Sian, but im not buying big sets just for the technic build without serious vetting, it seems like these 2000+ part monsters are really stretching the limits on technic, and for some reason tend to always contain some flaws which just shouldnt be there.

It's stretching the limit of current Technic parts, but with new parts you can move the limits of Technic much further away. These gearboxes don't have to be an issue.

17 hours ago, JunkstyleGio said:

I didn’t have any problems either 

10 hours ago, Bartybum said:

How long ago did you get it?

As soon as the model got out! It worked then, it workes now.. No problemo!

49976931576_a1502874a2_c.jpg

1 hour ago, JunkstyleGio said:

As soon as the model got out! It worked then, it workes now.. No problemo!

49976931576_a1502874a2_c.jpg

I see you made changes/mods to the interior. Did you make changes inside the drive-train, gearbox etc?

@thekoRngear no.

Why should I change something that is not broken.. Just some stickeralternative rebuilds on the front lights, a front boo-bar,  rear bars, a snorkel, doorlimiters, white-nd-up the roof, the reardoor-window, blue pin removals, rear-toplight and towing-knob.

Had a idea for the smaler rear lights but that one was not implemented (yet) as I do not glue parts toghether..  

I am going to bring up the cracking issue again and refer to the following video:

I understand it is not entirely the same issue, but demonstrated below is a pic of the problems of not aligning input and output axles connected by a U joint.  Now I know that it appears input and output axles are aligned in our Lego model, but the two are at different angles to eachother, and represetn different input and output angles, albeit on different axles.  Could this also add to the problem?   Does this also contribute to the high friction in the transmission?  If a modification were to be made that both axles were at the same angle would this not also help with the transmission?

pinion_angle_bad_angles.PNG

Interesting. What if our Defenders are set at Position #2 (Moderate strain, minimal vibration) when stalled. However, due to High number of gears involved in the rear (part of) gearbox it unfortunately bends a little to moderate when in 3rd/4th gear during moving forward or backward and thus enters into the Position #3 (Incredible strain. ridiculous vibration, poor pinion vibration). Position #04 did not and most likely would not happen. But position #3 could be possible. I am also waiting for an answer...

2 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

pinion_angle_bad_angles.PNG

Position 3 is bad, position 4 is absolutely correct, if both angles of the yokes are the same.

The main problem here is just if the yoke ears are not not aligned correctly.

Geometry.jpg

Hey guys,

I am just getting ready to build mine.  I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a set of BFG tires to fit on the original rims?  I just can’t see this rig with a winch and then a set of street tires sitting on display.  
Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by NMbricks

Ok, I read just a couple of posts about the tranny  issues, and I was wondering what the hubbub was all about... I now understand that the problem a lot of new builders have had is not the model,,but the lack of Technic modeling experience.  This set is not a beginner set by any means, and, after assembling it has become one of my most enjoyable builds of 2020.  I was not expecting that when I bought it, figured it would be just another super car build wrapped in 4x4 off road clothing.  This set has some of the more advanced building techniques that I employ in my own builds.  The complete  unibody construction ending in a solid and robust chassis and body was a fun surprise, and he shoehorned in a transmission that, although not conventional for the actual type of vehicle it’s in, was brilliant and also was a lot of fun putting it together.  Simply put, this one went up on the shelf for display, something I have recently stopped doing, simply because showing off a MOC is better use of my limited display space.  This set, how ever, gives me hope that maybe they will continue in this vein and plow some of that massive covid19 lockdown profits back into creating more sets at this piece count/price point and keep the $$$ Mega sets to a dull roar...  when my Technic Lego yearly expenditures start rolling into the thousands just to buy the entire Technic lineup, you got to question your sanity, that or TLG’s.

Edited by Bublehead

I aggree. For instance, the rear door rubberband, that some people complain: if you close the rear door by pushing the door handle, the door closes perfectly and stays locked, just like a real door. This just happens because of the apparent looseness of the rubberband. The door tongue collects and comes out perfectly. Details....

3 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

Now that looks way better than the Porsche. I like the way the control unit fits nicely on the roof.

Absolutely! And the color scheme works really well.

1 hour ago, Gimmick said:

They used 6 color sensors as lights? xD

Yeah, I noticed that too. Makes you wonder whether they all work. If so, there must be a second hub somewhere in the model.

Which makes you wonder if they are experimenting with daisy chaining. But that's a discussion for the Mindstorms forum.

On 2/26/2020 at 1:13 AM, Amt0571 said:

I've reversed the diffs. While doing it I found one of the small blue pieces underneath the car, behind the front axle was a bit loose and tightened it. After reassembly it works on all gears. Surprisingly, it doesn't crack if I move it backwards (the previous forward) on 4 Hi. In any case, I think mounting the diffs reversed is worth it as the transmission is A LOT smoother and has way less drag when running reversed. Moreover, its really easy to do with almost no disassembly involved.

Well... that didn't last. The car has been sitting on a shelf for a few months. Nobody touched it. It doesn't have any dust. A few days ago I picked it up to play with my son.

Now it cracks like mad in 3rd and 4th moving both forwards and backwards and I was unable to find any obvious solution. I looked and everything seems well, but it just cracks whatever I do.

40 minutes ago, Amt0571 said:

Well... that didn't last. The car has been sitting on a shelf for a few months. Nobody touched it. It doesn't have any dust. A few days ago I picked it up to play with my son.

Now it cracks like mad in 3rd and 4th moving both forwards and backwards and I was unable to find any obvious solution. I looked and everything seems well, but it just cracks whatever I do.

Want an obvious solution? I dont see any other than rebuilding it once in every "few months". To free myself from this predicament, I removed the back gearbox completely and replaced the front one with a simple 4 speed one. "Few months" gone, so far it still works well for me.