1 hour ago, Arioh said:

Ill just leave it here

So many prototype parts! 3x7 flat panels, different rims and different fender pieces. What a treat!

Shame they made the black wheels imo. Tthat design is only available in silver on the real one!

Edited by Coolusername

8 hours ago, Coolusername said:

Shame they made the black wheels imo. Tthat design is only available in silver on the real one!

Yea, but about black version avalible... what im doing wrong with LR configurator?1879594769_2019-12-0208_22_09.thumb.jpg.bb0d25e8520cb06ead2f83491707534b.jpg

On 11/30/2019 at 2:14 PM, Zerobricks said:

So many prototype parts! 3x7 flat panels, different rims and different fender pieces. What a treat!

I couldn't spot the 3x7 panels, where are they?

Also I noticed that the different rims prototypes have different size, so they also considered different tire sizes!

I must say that black rims are not the best choice in my opinion.

Edited by mpj

Thank you for the link to that video, it looks like a very intense but joyful design process, nice work Milan. I know I'm not the easiest AFOL to please, but I can appreciate the result of a tough design process where creative solutions have to be found for all kinds of limitations. @grohl Are you allowed to elaborate on the influence that Land Rover had on the design decisions of the Technic model? For example certain features that had to be implemented (gear box and the roof rack maybe?) or that were too complex to integrate (adjustable ride height possibly)?

Edited by Cumulonimbus

16 hours ago, mpj said:

I couldn't spot the 3x7 panels, where are they?

Here's a photo of them in dark grey and green. Look at the photo of the model in the left.

800x215.jpg

I hope we are getting some 3x7 panels next year :wink:

7 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

Here's a photo of them in dark grey and green. Look at the photo of the model in the left.

800x215.jpg

I hope we are getting some 3x7 panels next year :wink:

Oh yes! Thank you and... yes let's hope to have them in the next sets :excited:

On 12/2/2019 at 4:28 AM, Arioh said:

Yea, but about black version avalible... what im doing wrong with LR configurator?1879594769_2019-12-0208_22_09.thumb.jpg.bb0d25e8520cb06ead2f83491707534b.jpg

Oh, have not seen them before:laugh:

On 11/30/2019 at 11:44 PM, Zerobricks said:

2:25 - I want those rims! I could build the car that my dad previously owned; a Mitsubishi Verada GTV!

Hi everyone! I just got the defender and built it but whrn I tried the gearbox but some of the higher gears are cracking. I tried a few fix but neither of those worked. Is there any solution or I need to rebuild it?

Thanks for the tips. I tried this fix but sadly nothing happend. Maybe I will rebuild the whole set because I want it to be original. Hope it will work.

A reputable Italian builder mentioned that he solved the model's friction issues by replacing the red clutch gears with the old DBG ones. That might be worth trying, too.

Edit - these gears:

6542b.jpg?2

Edited by suffocation

3 hours ago, suffocation said:

A reputable Italian builder mentioned that he solved the model's friction issues by replacing the red clutch gears with the old DBG ones. That might be worth trying, too.

Edit - these gears:

6542b.jpg?2

I only use these, and never the red ones in my MOCs, they reduce friction a lot. Using these will certainly improve things.

Gotta thank all the dunce afols out there for the switch to the red gears 'cause they couldn't mount the DBG ones the right way round :laugh:

I haven't got a whole lot of the DBG ones, unfortunately, so I use them sparingly. Luckily, basic, low-torque drivelines & distribution gearboxes seem to run fine with the red ones but, as you pointed out, when friction becomes an issue the DBG ones are the way to go. 

14 hours ago, suffocation said:

Gotta thank all the dunce afols out there for the switch to the red gears 'cause they couldn't mount the DBG ones the right way round :laugh:

And I thought they introduced the new gears because they wanted to be able to use 2 clutches on one gear...

Anyone unable to mount these gears the right way around should consider buying creator or something else. No need to make it easy for everyone, some idiots will always be left behind, and thats fine.

2 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

And I thought they introduced the new gears because they wanted to be able to use 2 clutches on one gear...

I think that's just a lucky side effect of the dunce-proof design - haven't seen it exploited on any official sets (or even mocs) yet, but it deserves exploring.

You'd be surprised how many afOOls I've seen go into full-blown panic mode because, e.g., "omg i bilt teh dephender n wen i turn wun wheel at teh back teh uther wheel turns teh uther way wut did i do rong ima rite 2 lego 2 complane cuz there moddul duzint wurk!!1!one!!eleven!" Can't expect that kind of numbskull to handle the old clutch gears :laugh:

Edited by suffocation

10 minutes ago, suffocation said:

I think that's just a lucky side effect of the dunce-proof design - haven't seen it exploited on any official sets (or even mocs) yet, but it deserves exploring.

You'd be surprised how many afOOls I've seen go into full-blown panic mode because, e.g., "omg i bilt teh dephender n wen i turn wun wheel at teh back teh uther wheel turns teh uther way wut did i do rong ima rite 2 lego 2 complane cuz there moddul duzint wurk!!1!one!!eleven!" Can't expect that kind of numbskull to handle the old clutch gears :laugh:

2 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

Anyone unable to mount these gears the right way around should consider buying creator or something else. No need to make it easy for everyone, some idiots will always be left behind, and thats fine.

I hope you guys don't think I'm this type. :sceptic:

Just now, Ben003 said:

I hope you guys don't think I'm this type. :sceptic:

Nothing to do with you, mate :wink: The Defender is well-known for its wonky transmission, hence the many mods designed to (try to) fix it.

1 hour ago, suffocation said:

Nothing to do with you, mate :wink:

Exactly. Nobody is too stupid to put in the old gears the right way anyways, just not  paying attention. 

@Ben003If you build the Defender like the instructions told you, and shit still does not work well, its not your fault. 

Imo the Defender is a good looking model, but the Gearbox is a destined to fail. Way too much all over the place, and too many joints and gears. 

Edited by Gray Gear

51 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

10073-1.jpg

10073-1.jpg

10073-1__01.jpg

71acdpbm53L._SY355_.jpg

71acdpbm53L._SY355_.jpg

56 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

Exactly. Nobody is too stupid to put in the old gears the right way anyways, just not  paying attention. 

@Ben003If you build the Defender like the instructions told you, and shit still does not work well, its not your fault. 

Imo the Defender is a good looking model, but the Gearbox is a destined to fail. Way too much all over the place, and too many joints and gears. 

Sorry for the post above this I can't delet it. I paid attention to all the little details include the position of some little parts like Technic stopper / bush parts. I built the chiron a few month ago without any problem. I built this without a problem too just this gearbox issue. The post above this has a picture from the stopper/bush part.

Edited by Ben003

Hey guys,

i just ordered Part 15038 (Tire 94.3x38R) and 44772 (56mm D. x 34mm Technic Racing Medium, 6 Pin Holes) to modify my Defender. I hope it will fit, i tried it in Studio and everything worked, i'll post some photos, once the parts arrive.

just one question regarding a motorized version of the defender: Is there a pdf-instruction for a build with Power Functions?

cheers,

anton

Edited by cmdAnton

16 minutes ago, cmdAnton said:

just one question regarding a motorized version of the defender: Is there a pdf-instruction for a build with Power Functions?

cheers,

anton

They are in the making  and will be posted as soon as they are done. The video is quite easy to follow though