4 hours ago, kbalage said:

This might help

Great, thanks! Now I understand. Lego should really be showing such explanations instead of showing how to open the doors & hood and pull the winch...

I'm guessing if I place the motor so that power comes from the engine instead of from the wheels, then the gearing sequence should be right? (if so, that's probably why it looks reverse - normally power comes from the engine).

I'll try that with the motor inside the engine (there's not enough space, but since I don't plan on building the frame, I have the freedom of giving it more space :)

Also, I find it's a bit boring that the 2nd lever is just lo/hi, which means just more gear ratios. I think it would have been more interesting if it was used to switch between 2WD/4WD, and I'd like to try that too.

Edited by ozacek

On 10/3/2019 at 9:57 AM, JunkstyleGio said:

I did a quick rebuild in LDD.

It should look something like this.

42110_step_45.png

If you have followed every step correctly, you are okay here. Just keep building and you will learn more during the build,

I 'm having a similar problem at step 271. the black gear doesnt have enough room (in terms of height) to seat on top of the grey gear. By any chance you had similar problem when you were building? 

I noticed that the elastic rubber band which is used to keep the back door latch in the locked position is quite slack:

Latch.jpg

Should be an easy fix by replacing the red bush 3713 bush with a small wheel rim (11208 or 55982 or 56903) with a slightly bigger diameter to pick up the slack.

I finished the chassis last night. I have to admit, so far this doesn't feel like a model that was designed by Lego. :sceptic:

Just now, Meatman said:

I finished the chassis last night. I have to admit, so far this doesn't feel like a model that was designed by Lego. :sceptic:

I had same feeling with 42069. It feels like a MOC. Some techniques like a brick used to achieve the quarter gap in rear bumper and the use of studded add-ons really feel "unofficial".

Edited by Zerobricks

1 hour ago, Enantiomeer said:

I noticed that the elastic rubber band which is used to keep the back door latch in the locked position is quite slack:

Latch.jpg

Should be an easy fix by replacing the red bush 3713 bush with a small wheel rim (11208 or 55982 or 56903) with a slightly bigger diameter to pick up the slack.

I just did this, repositioned some parts

IMG_20191005_184238.jpg.b2c4973dd699570e1fd0d1a78c6fa123.jpg

9 minutes ago, Coolusername said:

I just did this, repositioned some parts

IMG_20191005_184238.jpg.b2c4973dd699570e1fd0d1a78c6fa123.jpg

Very nice, even simpler solution. Just tried it and it works like a charm. Thanks!

Yeah i used an extra 1/2 bushing from spare parts, but you don't even need to, just take one from the red 2l axle ;)

6 hours ago, Enantiomeer said:

IMG_20191005_184238.jpg

Very nice, even simpler solution. Just tried it and it works like a charm. Thanks!

I should do this when I get mine.

Edited by BrickWild

Have just built mine I thought I had made a mistake. The fake motor hardly moved and i did not see many differences in the different gears. i took it apart and did not find any mistakes.  Still, the fake engine moves very slowly. Does anyone have the same issue?

1 hour ago, merman said:

Have just built mine I thought I had made a mistake. The fake motor hardly moved and i did not see many differences in the different gears. i took it apart and did not find any mistakes.  Still, the fake engine moves very slowly. Does anyone have the same issue?

I’m also having the same issue. Engine works fine in reverse and gear 1. Anything higher than that however none of the gearing moves and just makes a clicking noise. Took it apart, all correct but still the same issue 

I've noticed the same issues with the gearbox "winding up" before the engine responds.  Then the engine motion is jerky.  I've not had opportunity to investigate yet, but it sounds like this is a "feature" of the set and not a build error.  MOD time :classic:

Still one of my favourite Technic sets though.  Looks great on display and the Olive Green works well IMHO.

Edited by Boulderer

I’m having the same issues. I’ve taken a look at the drivetrain spooling up as I move the car and it’s just slack building up because of the amount of gears. It’s a bit of a shame, I’ll admit. A smooth gearbox would’ve been nicer.

Meanwhile, I’ve taken my attention to other things like endlessly bouncing the car up and down like a basketball. The suspension is SO BOUNCY

Edited by Bartybum

Just now, Bartybum said:

Meanwhile, I’ve taken my attention to other things like endlessly bouncing the car up and down like a basketball. The suspension is SO BOUNCY

A feature that I really like ... it's a pleasant improvement from the usual suspension setups. 

I think Paul Boratko explained how gearboxes built using connectors instead of beams are very prone to unwanted friction since it's really hard to make the holes line up perfectly. In essence, you can follow the instructions to a T but you can't really account for that extra fraction of a millimeter between two connectors that throws the whole transmission off. Frustrating, I know.

3 hours ago, twoofive said:

I solved the issue by changing the 8/24 gearing to the diffs into 16/16 , works a lot better now

Surprising, as it makes the engine run faster.

1 hour ago, suffocation said:

I think Paul Boratko explained how gearboxes built using connectors instead of beams are very prone to unwanted friction since it's really hard to make the holes line up perfectly. In essence, you can follow the instructions to a T but you can't really account for that extra fraction of a millimeter between two connectors that throws the whole transmission off. Frustrating, I know.

Feared that may be the case. Guess I’ll strip it back to the gearbox stages and see if I can wiggle out the friction, and give twoofive’s 16/16 solution a go as well 

Anyone else find the back a bit empty? The rear window seems huge and empty without some sort of frame around the glass on the boot door

I build mine last night, and I must say it was a fun build, I'm really impressed by the design.

Love the suspension setup, love the new rims and love the olive green color.

Bought it as a parts pack, there's some pretty good stuff in this set.

I like it a lot !

Finally finished build of my copy of this awesome set...
IMG_20191013_223629.jpg

... as RHD variant. To do such version i mirrmirrored assembly of bags for 1 and 2 stages of the build. Stages 3 and 4 built as normal.

IMG_20191013_223912.jpg

Also i found easy fix for tailgate loose rubber band - I guess that Grohl made it being loose on purpose - to lock door by simple pushing it. I tried both fixes - Sariel's and Coolusername's - they both made rear lock to work really tight. Too tight for my taste. So i replaced red bush with old micromotor pulley. Bigger pulley part didnt lets band to slip off, and in same time keeping it relaxed as original variant.

IMG_20191013_230458.jpg

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned this video:

Does this tip solve the problem for those who have a stubborn gearbox?

Edited by Bulga

9 hours ago, JunkstyleGio said:

This  video was already mentioned in various other threads

I am even more surprised by your response!  :laugh:

Edited by Bulga