some random observations

- The use of the steered suspension parts at the back now makes sense, if one used the regular unsteered suspension, there would be very little space for the driveshaft, and even though that would in theory fit, mounting a single shock in the middle of the arms (or any kind of link between the two arms would probably result in the driveshaft rubbing during suspension deflection. I cant say that im happy with the amount of balljoints in the rear suspension, given the inevitable slop/slack introduced, but it does look much better with these wishbones VS the regular liftarm (or even worse, twin thin liftarm for the 6L version) setup.

- I wasnt worried about slapping a big V8 in there, but now, seeing that steering shaft alongside the engine, im not sure if the width is there.

- The engine detailing is a bit meh, i cant quite make out which is supposed to be the intake and exhaust side, either way, on the left the four thingies (intake pipes? exhaust headers? injectors?) make little sense on a six cylinder. I really appreciate these kinds of details though, this just sprung out at me

- I love that it has a back seat, along with the space in the trunk, this really looks like they managed to make a relatively accurate model of a real car, fitting the driveline in the actual space for the driveline, retaining interior space.

19 hours ago, Jaromir said:

Guys, any idea when Sariel releases his Land Rover review?

Got the set yesterday, with a bit of luck the review will be ready tomorrow and I'll have a long interview with Milan about the 42110 published today.

1 hour ago, Sariel said:

Got the set yesterday, with a bit of luck the review will be ready tomorrow and I'll have a long interview with Milan about the 42110 published today.

Wasn't any online build stream yesterday? You you'd started one by mistake?

47 minutes ago, Sariel said:

I've started one but had to give up on it, as the YT app kept crashing on all my devices.

What were you doing that caused the YT app problem?

I've got Adobe Premier. It's much better to use.

38 minutes ago, BrickWild said:

What were you doing that caused the YT app problem?

Using it. Does Adobe Premiere allow you to broadcast live to a YouTube channel?

Anyway, here's the 42110 Designer Interview:

OMG BLACK FRAMES 7X11.

YES.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for the interview sariel (and Grohl) of course. Learnt a few interesting details about the set but mostly I'm glad to hear that he doesn't take a lot of criticism personally. It must feel weird to design something and have people pick it apart with a fine tooth comb where as a MOC usually just gets a bunch of praise. Of course the difference is that Lego wants customers to pay money for their designs but still I guess it must feel like it turns a hobby into just a job. This is why I do try (though not always succeed) to say what I like as well as what I don't like, and why I think Jim's topic about the recent attitude change on this forum is so welcome. 

There are some questions I would have liked to ask. Maybe useful for a future interview as you all seemed a little list for questions :laugh:

Why are Technic wheels so wide compared to their diameter. 

With Grohls particular talent for b, c and d models has there been any talk of, or is there any desire within the Technic team for bringing back universal sets. 

Like seriously what age does a builder need to be before we don't need colour coding :laugh: and with pieces still being hard to find (I seriously could not find the bloody hook in the purple tracked vehicle) and with Jim still putting his diff in 42070 backwards, wouldn't having more numbered bags (highest number of bag equals part count ÷ 200 or something like that, so you never have to search through more than 200 parts at a time) and specific note in the instructions saying "Hey Jim, the diff goes this way!!!!" be better alternatives? Interesting note BTW, if someone puts either the front or rear diff in backwards in 42110, the car will still roll but the middle diff will remain stationary. Something to look out for when the inevitable comments come in!

Are there any parts or models that are on the designers wishlist?

What do they feel is the biggest wish for parts or models amongst us AFOLs? (Someone is going to say a grader I just know it!)

Are there any models that they have designed hoping to one day be released but was for whatever reason rejected that they could show to us?

Pneumatics????????

I have some more but now I'm thinking it would be better in a questions for designers topic :laugh:

Edited by allanp

I wonder if it will have one reverse speedlike in the chiron or 4*2 speeds

this set is almost as complicated as the bugatti chiron when you think about it.

Edited by SNIPE

1 hour ago, SNIPE said:

I wonder if it will have one reverse speedlike in the chiron or 4*2 speeds

It has only one reverse.

@kbalage and @Sariel Thanks for the informative videos!
Might be the shifting sequence issue solved in an easy way: just flip the + - label for the drum. :classic:

Color here, "SUV" there, I do believe this is the best car set to date from modern Technic lineup.

is there a way to make a 5 stud wide diff lock or is the closest way to use the separate solid drive with clutch rings geared off both ends of the diff method (which is 7 studs). Although I don't think a 1 stud fender flair would ruin the look.

4 hours ago, kbalage said:

My review of the set:

So the most sophisticated gearbox ever designed by TLC already has issues and the set isn't even out yet. :hmpf_bad:

1 hour ago, agrof said:

@kbalage and @Sariel Thanks for the informative videos!
Might be the shifting sequence issue solved in an easy way: just flip the + - label for the drum. :classic:

Color here, "SUV" there, I do believe this is the best car set to date from modern Technic lineup.

That isn't going to solve the issue with the reverse gear. Reverse and 1st should be similar in ratio, but you can see in the video that reverse is rotating the engine quite slowly when it should be moving much faster.

Edited by Meatman

2 hours ago, agrof said:

I reckon that's what most "advanced" users are going to do. Most plebeian users - which make up the significant marketshare targeted by TLG - aren't accustomed to lateral thinking and therefore expect the pistons to move faster the higher you shift up. So rather than taking a massive dump on Milan's work like some people have in the last few posts here, I'm guessing TLG decided to shift away from their approach with all the previous cars from 853 to 42083 and just make their average knucklehead customer happy.

Agree with both above comments.

1. I forgot the Reverse gear. 

2. That was my thinking too, honestly it doesn't removes much for me from the overall value of the set. 

Edited by agrof

On the bright side, all major functions seem to work properly, there is probably a large amount of backlash in the drivetrain, but that is a given to some degree when you have a complex driveline/gearbox setup, lego gears simply arent backlash-free.

I think ill be steering clear of further reviews/discussion for a while, the set looks good and has less obvious flaws then the porsche or the chiron, so ill just buy it, build it, and perhaps do some mods myself, then see if the inevitable "pimp my landy" thread spawns a good result, then rebuild it.

It is really interesting that it uses very low amount of (long) beams - 9 pieces of 15L in grey/black + 10 pieces in olive (42069 for comparsion 32/0 purple), 7+10 pieces of 13L (14+0), 9 + 6 pieces of 11L (20+3), 11 pieces of 5x3 L shaped (24 pieces) yet is uses huge number of connectors like black #2 (40 pieces), 32184 in DBG (52! pieces).

There is also plenty of gears - 65 + 3 diffs (Porsche 52+1, 42069: 30+2)

51 panels is also quite low, considering that 14 pieces are smallest (21+22) and overal size of the model. 42069 has 41 panels , 42077: 48 pieces, 42096: 46 pieces

Lastly there are 647 pins + whooping 73 half pins, 42069: 653 + 32, funny how close it is, the amount of half pins is no surprise given the finish from system parts

Edited by Ivan_M

Just now, Ivan_M said:

It is really interesting that it uses very low amount of (long) beams - 9 pieces of 15L in grey/black + 10 pieces in olive (42069 for comparsion 32/0 purple), 7+10 pieces of 13L (14+0), 9 + 6 pieces of 11L (20+3), 11 pieces of 5x3 L shaped (24 pieces) yet is uses huge number of connectors like black #2 (40 pieces), 32184 in DBG (52! pieces).

There is also plenty of gears - 65 + 3 diffs (Porsche 52+1, 42069: 30+2)

51 panels is also quite low, considering that 14 pieces are smallest (21+22) and overal size of the model. 42069 has 41 panels , 42077: 48 pieces, 42096: 46 pieces

Lastly there are 647 pins + whooping 73 half pins, 42069: 653 + 32, funny how close it is, the amount of half pins is no surprise given the finish from system parts

I was looking at RacingBrick's photo of the inventory and was also suprised how few long beams and panels it have, and how many connectors and 5l half beams it has.... You can clearly see how building style affects the part inventory.

48 minutes ago, Coolusername said:

I think the easiest mod is to make a 4 cylinder version! Just leave the first and last piston out :rofl:

Boi if you do a 4 cylinder conversion, but don't upgrade to the big Technic Cylinders, I have no hope for you :laugh_hard: