I wonder why TLG choose black as the wheel color? I think they only had the spy shots as reference which had this design in black, but the configurator has them in silver.

I think i will paint them either silver or white (to match the roof) since i hate black wheels :laugh:

Hope Sariels review is this weekend!

Edited by Coolusername

Its pretty cool the Gearbox is still somewhat visilble, but the rear door mechanism is executed so badly. That small curved slope is held in place by a single stud, and has to keep the entire rear door in place. So a single stud is supposed to keep the trunk shut...

58 minutes ago, sirslayer said:

I hear clicking when he was showing the differential on the video!!! 

I noticed that too... Its a pretty simple gearbox setup, so why?

It is clear that Milan designed this set, there are multiple similarities to 42069:

1. Front winch with same ratchet design
  2. Rear door lock operated by spare wheel/sprocket
  3. Extra opening storage compartments on top/side
  4. All-wheel drive with at least 2 differentials
  5. Suspension with both hard and soft shocks
  6. Large, dedicated fender panels
  7. 2000+ pieces with no motors or electronics

On the other hand, there are plenty of differences, like that lovely gearbox....

3 hours ago, JGW3000 said:

I almost prefer the no body shell version, as all of the internal mechanisms are visible.

The blue pins on the mudguards, are they pin-2L w/axle, or pin-3L? Either way, going to replace them with the black equivalent. Probably replace all of the exposed blue pins with black or MSG equivalents.

Mono sodium glutamate?

4 hours ago, sirslayer said:

I hear clicking when he was showing the differential on the video!!! 

That's the pistons moving up & down! ;-)

4 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

That small curved slope is held in place by a single stud, and has to keep the entire rear door in place. So a single stud is supposed to keep the trunk shut...

The slope piece isn't holding the door shut - the black piece behind it is doing that. The slope piece is just to make it easier to close.

What a great review and set. I love the quality of life considerations, like being able to remove the roof rack and the HOG knob, and tilting the seats forward to view the gearbox. Really well done

4 hours ago, JonathanM said:

The slope piece isn't holding the door shut - the black piece behind it is doing that. The slope piece is just to make it easier to close.

Ooh you are right, my bad. I somehow did not notice the black biece behind it, it was kinda hard to see at the video moment i noticed it.

16 minutes ago, BrickWild said:

How a trailer hitch would look like:

*snip*

I mean, the max load would be limited by the friction of the cross-axle joint. I think you'd be better off using a Technic beam instead

So sad to see, that this thing uses the old hubs with the small cv joints, totally destroying any hopes of actiual steering angles.

YkhygoG.png

Hmm, In the video the steering angle looks bigger than before on other 4wd vehicles....

But its good to have the "90" 3 door version with the shorter wheelbase for better turning radius.

Edited by Coolusername

13 hours ago, BrickWild said:

Recreated the Roof Box!

Neat, looks like Spock's coffin in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan movie.  :classic:

On 9/12/2019 at 6:46 PM, vectormatic said:

The colour might be correct, but mark my words, lego wont ever use it again, leaving MOCers/MODers in a dead end street (again)

Milan (grohl) explicitly states in his YT review movie that it is the first technic set to use the olive green color. That's a very specific thing to say, he could also have said something like olive green is authentic to Landrover or something else about the color itself. Let's hope it is exactly what he says: the first of (many?) more. I personally like the color, gives all new posibilities for (construction? military?) vehicles and even airplanes/helicopters. Would also love to see how it combines with for example red or 'bley'...

1 hour ago, Rudivdk said:

Milan (grohl) explicitly states in his YT review movie that it is the first technic set to use the olive green color. That's a very specific thing to say,

Even though I think they’ll definitely use it again in future, I disagree that it’s a very specific thing to say. It just means that no sets have used olive green before, nothing more.

Edited by Bartybum

This set definitely seems to be the one we've been hoping for all this time. It's way cheaper than the Porsche and Bugatti, with even more functions. We finally got optional HOG steering. The only thing we need to see now is if the drive train works properly...

6 hours ago, Bartybum said:

It just means that no sets have used olive green before, nothing more.

Yeah, could also be just that... Maybe I was to eager to hear a statement. 

Just now, Rudivdk said:

Just human nature my dude

1 hour ago, Rudivdk said:

Perhaps it is color licenced with set? Is it possible?

5 hours ago, FilthyFox said:

This set definitely seems to be the one we've been hoping for all this time. It's way cheaper than the Porsche and Bugatti, with even more functions. We finally got optional HOG steering. The only thing we need to see now is if the drive train works properly...

3 open diffs is not a great start.....

1 hour ago, I_Igor said:

Perhaps it is color licenced with set? Is it possible?

It could be possible theoretically, but I think it would be practically unfeasible. It would drive the price up a lot, and olive green in itself is not a licensed color in other LEGO themes. It also doesn't fit with LEGO's previous color introductions. Even LBG/DBG, which where introduced as part of the Star Wars licence, are not limited to Star Wars alone. And with the volume of Star Wars sales that would have been a possibility.

But then again... there is 42039... and 42048/42069...:sceptic: