Land Rover is continuation of "Mack" series. Chiron will most likely be suceeded by Maclaren (Senna?). Difference in size, packaging, special instructions etc...

1 hour ago, Cwetqo said:

Land Rover is continuation of "Mack" series. 

Nope. Mack is a 1H flagship. Land Rover is not. It's not an early release of 2020 1H flagship. It's just an odd one out in the 2019 lineup, like 42084.

3 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Nope. Mack is a 1H flagship. Land Rover is not. It's not an early release of 2020 1H flagship. It's just an odd one out in the 2019 lineup, like 42084.

So far I see only that they have similar engine and that is that...

42110 is an anomaly because it's just appeared out of nowhere. It isn't part of the UCS lineup (which come out on even years), and it wasn't attached to the standard Technic lineup. Anyone trying to make sense of this set and what it means for Technic releases is wasting their time, unless another licensed anomaly shows up in future. A sample size of one isn't enough to make any speculations other than "it might happen again in the future".

Edited by Bartybum

16 minutes ago, Akbalder said:

I don't see why: it's the same kind of model as the Mack truck.

In the same way that it is the same kind of model as the GT3RS. AFAIK we havent seen confirmed what type of engine is in there, and even that isnt a hard categorisation as far as im concernced.

I agree that trying to put a series/succesor label on it right now is rather pointless, once we see some reviews it might be a bit easier to pidgeonhole, but as Bartybum says, right now this set is a bit of an anomaly, and even when it isnt, assuming lego keeps going straight on every line is flawd as well (see the bikes, 8051, 42007 and 42036 and 42063 are all two years apart, but 63 has been around for three now, 77 came three years after 39, with 66, a plane, taking the 39 car spot for a year)

Personally im more interested in categorising it to shape my expectations of what it will be like to build, i enjoyed building 42096 and 42083 both, but they are vastly different, and the density and complexity of the chiron is a very nice thing to have, and imho mandatory to justify a high pricetag. If 110 goes towards Chiron complexity, im all onboard, if it is a relatively empty shell like 96, ill skip it unless extremely cheap.

50 minutes ago, Akbalder said:

I don't see why: it's the same kind of model as the Mack truck.

Except for the fact that the Mack was included in the regular set lineup, whereas this Defender wasn't.

Edited by Bartybum

42110 wil be similar density to 42069 - about the same size, and similar part count. Not as dense as 42083 which was IMO way too dense (too many parts with no real purpose) but still nicely form locked. I recall taking 42069 apart required a bit of thought to the order of it - a good indication of form locking.

Can't wait for Sariel's review on this!
Might get that as a xmas gift after I get the Liebherr!

42 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

42110 wil be similar density to 42069 - about the same size, and similar part count. Not as dense as 42083 which was IMO way too dense (too many parts with no real purpose) but still nicely form locked. I recall taking 42069 apart required a bit of thought to the order of it - a good indication of form locking. 

I agree that 42083 is denser then needed for something of its shape/function, but i still very much enjoyed it, and it felt like a whole new level compared to previous technic builds.

42069 seems like an apt comparison regarding part count and size, even if function-wise it will be quite different. I never got 42069 though, so im only going by basic statistics here.

OK guys drop the negative on this land rover, it dates back like 70 years. My dad had a 110 wheel base landrover in the 1970s, I loved it great to climb up into front when you are a 3ft 7 Yr old. I used to go to work with him climbing up a 7 ft ladder /door combo to get into his hgv tractor unit.  

This is a set to celebrate landrover, it deserves it for the years of work for famine relief over the decades and other good work. The military side does not need celebration, its a workhorse. 

My dad had to get rid of the landrover because my mother could not climb into it and couldn't drive it. It was my father's toy ?

Il

Is this still the Defender topic or the future wish list topic:look: Can we stay ON please - it is so disappointing to being happy about new post here, open... than facing with irrelevant speculation. :sceptic:

BTW, if all the described functions will work nicely in 42110, than it clearly fulfills the ultimate category in my opinion, it is not the question of the size / scale.

Some news about the real thing:

17 minutes ago, agrof said:

Is this still the Defender topic or the future wish list topic:look: Can we stay ON please - it is so disappointing to being happy about new post here, open... than facing with irrelevant speculation. :sceptic:

I have hidden the wishlist posts :thumbup:

3 hours ago, agrof said:

Some news about the real thing:

Landrover Defender on a race track:enough: - another proof of a derailed and failed concept...

They'd do better testing it round Sainsbury's carpark!! thats the only 'off road' these things will ever see... they'll never, ever see mud. Old defenders did, but not any more. They're only for the middle-classes to show off to the neighbours...

But the lego version looks awesome, way better than i thought it would. Hoping for great functions, not interested in realistic dashboard and seats and that stuff.. some proper technic stuff going on! Hopefully.

176191_2.jpg

There's a winch, which means there must be a knob to wind the winch. In 42069, the knob is located in the rear section. In this set, the rear section has seats, so it's doubtful that the knob is there. Besides, since this is a licensed set, I don't think the designer would ruin the whole appearance with a knob and some driving axles, I don't think the winch knob will be anywhere on the outer surface. My guess is that the winch will be routed to the glove compartment in front of the front-row passenger's seat. There is also no visible ratchet. I think the ratchet release will also be in the glove compartment

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

The Land Rovers I see in my town get towed by flat bed trucks. Actually I see quite a few of them on flat bed tow trucks. For the affluent target audience, does the new Defender really need a working winch?  The winch could be like fake exhaust tips I see on high end cars and SUVs around here.  It would be a cost saving for manufacturer and possibly better dividend payout to the share holders.

5 minutes ago, dr_spock said:

For the affluent target audience, does the new Defender really need a working winch

Of course it does!! Along with the snorkel and checker plate steel on the arches... makes the owner look like a manly-man!! :laugh:

47 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

There's a winch, which means there must be a knob to wind the winch. In 42069, the knob is located in the rear section. In this set, the rear section has seats, so it's doubtful that the knob is there. Besides, since this is a licensed set, I don't think the designer would ruin the whole appearance with a knob and some driving axles, I don't think the winch knob will be anywhere on the outer surface. My guess is that the winch will be routed to the glove compartment in front of the front-row passenger's seat. There is also no visible ratchet. I think the ratchet release will also be in the glove compartment

I'd use spare wheel as winch knob, it would also explain why the new wheels have cross holes. 

Since it has winch, ladder, coffin...it is just additional equipment for expedition version...just wheels are not ideal IMHO for that...

14 hours ago, I_Igor said:

Since it has winch, ladder, coffin...it is just additional equipment for expedition version...just wheels are not ideal IMHO for that...

Actually, Luggage Box.

Where I live pretty much every farmer has a Landy ... I’m hoping JLR realises above all else that this is what the vehicle is for and driving the Kings Road is a long way down the list of requirements.

as to the model I guess we’re a way off official details as yet?

On 7/30/2019 at 11:03 PM, Ngoc Nguyen said:

176191_2.jpg

I can see a spare tire on the rear if you look closely!