I feel sorry for the engineers working on this car. Spending years working hard to develop a car and then seeing it being burned down months before the official launch based on hunches, guesses and leaks. I understand why they want keep it a secret as long as possible. This is one of those projects which you can't win simply because your newly developed product must fight against a tide of assumptions, old fashioned ideas and unrealistic wishful thinking.

Anyway, I wish this car and its creators all the best and I hope it will be successful because I think it will be a modern, capable little vehicle in its own right.

Almost everything is already invented so why don't we do worst cars like all the other brands do, someday Lego will copy us.

15 minutes ago, Cumulonimbus said:

Anyway, I wish this car and its creators all the best and I hope it will be successful because I think it will be a modern, capable little vehicle in its own right.

The new Defender still can be a modern capable vehicle, it has nothing to do with appearance, which lacks of character. Engineers to be praised, decision makers to be blamed - thumb rule. :wink:

48 minutes ago, jorgeopesi said:

Almost everything is already invented so why don't we do worst cars like all the other brands do, someday Lego will copy us.

Hm... worst cars, I hope that Lego will never make model based on Nissan juke :ugh:

Defender will be cool set 

1 hour ago, Cumulonimbus said:

Another leaked image of the new Defender (with the engine cover missing obviously) has turned up. It looks like a real vehicle, not just a concept car or mockup. It looks a bit more rounded than I expected based on the Lego version, but it is recognizable.

I found it here (Dutch): https://www.autoweek.nl/autonieuws/artikel/land-rover-defender-weer-in-beeld/

It has very clean lines. In this monotonous design of modern cars it looks refreshing

Edited by I_Igor

Looks more of a successor of the second generation Discovery, but not Defender...

170940375_g.jpg

Edited by syclone

10 minutes ago, syclone said:

Looks more of a successor of the second generation Discovery, but not Defender...

Funny, over here that version (the L319) is seen as the fourth generation Discovery, but I agree. To me it's not a bad thing, I found the L319 an appealing and clean design language with some clever lines. I don't mind family resemblance, but as I others mentioned, the Defender should have its own (visual) character. Time will tell if this is the case. The interior spy shots seem to suggest it will.

1 hour ago, I_Igor said:

Hm... worst cars, I hope that Lego will never make model based on Nissan juke :ugh:

Defender will be cool set 

It has very clean lines. In this monotonous design of modern cars it looks refreshing

I was talking of off road performance but I know they need to buy cars and there are not enough market for functional 4x4 cars, we are in the only for city off road cars age.

On 6/28/2019 at 5:45 PM, jorgeopesi said:

I was talking of off road performance but I know they need to buy cars and there are not enough market for functional 4x4 cars, we are in the only for city off road cars age.

Truth is that most of off road performance is possible to compromise with software, but it is like chilly and water with new "off roader" trend :grin:

Edited by I_Igor

@I_Igor The only reason I dislike it is that it's not a color that would ever be used in Technic again. Dark azure came in plenty of sets, but this one... I don't think so. And for it to be useful, you need lots of parts in a color, and there doesn't seem to be much variety here.

5 hours ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

The only reason I dislike it is that it's not a color that would ever be used in Technic again.

This is speculation at best. I haven’t seen any evidence suggesting that TLC don’t intend to use the colour again.

Edited by Bartybum

1 hour ago, Bartybum said:

This is speculation at best. I haven’t seen any evidence suggesting that TLC don’t intend to use the colour again.

I agree.  I think there are many possibilities.  Seems like the preference is bimodal.  Certainly there are those that dont like the color. But there are plenty that do.

Any type of rock  crawler or off road machine i think would be great in this color.

@Leonardo da BrickiBricki i think @Bartybum and @nerdsforprez got the point, just remember discussion about blue colors in early 2017, and I think (as I already mentioned) we should really wait to see how it looks in reality before we jump any conclusion.

Regards

On 6/29/2019 at 6:12 AM, Bartybum said:

Exactly @I_Igor, I swear I remember people complaining about dark azure in its beginning or something

Agree, and the only thing that I can complain now is that I have no spare time to finish my tractors, not to mention finishing hook loader truck with dark azure cab. :hmpf_bad:

On 6/29/2019 at 7:36 AM, dr_spock said:

Couldn't olive green be useful for military MOCs? 

And not only that...I saw forestry equipment (harvester on truck with semitrailer) in this color and it looked me as it is newer generation because it was not boxy designed...

Edited by I_Igor

I don’t think it will have a trailer hitch they’re normally an option on vehicles and why would you add one to a Lego set unless you were providing a trailer with it

11 minutes ago, Seasider said:

I don’t think it will have a trailer hitch they’re normally an option on vehicles and why would you add one to a Lego set unless you were providing a trailer with it

Many Technic sets have trailer hitches without trailers. 42053, 8258, etc...

1 hour ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Many Technic sets have trailer hitches without trailers. 42053, 8258, etc...

42080 is the most recent example.

Do we know if Land Rover is a continuation of Porsche and Chiron line? I know that it is much less expensive, but looks like another exclusive model of the real car. 

1 hour ago, Gzynek2323 said:

Do we know if Land Rover is a continuation of Porsche and Chiron line?

It's not in the same line.

Maybe more like RSR?  Looking for patterns of their lines, but maybe that's not the way to think about it.  

Appreciate any insights.

2500+ parts, working gearbox and custom rims is solidly GT3 RS territory imho.

It probably wont get the premium packaging treatment given the price, and marketing-wise it isnt as big of a halo-product to take over the lead from the chiron, but complexity/detail-wise, im expecting something to match 42056, not 42096