5 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Where would the arch be in a helicopter?

Maybe in this area:

ZzbZFB3.jpg

Or as a part oft the front, or as a landing gear cover. There are many ways to use it. 

Think creative.

Just saw the pictures of the set.

The pin hole placement on the fenders look a bit weird. I have a feeling those bottom ones could have been done in the side, rather than the surface, of the panel. 

I’m also wondering where this olive green color could be useful for. Yet another color to the Technic theme, but I guess it opens up opportunities to make realistic-colored tanks. :laugh:

I also like the extensive use of system pieces in the model. They make the model look “cleaner” by concealing pin holes.

Lastly, I wonder if those rims are the same diameter as this one. If so, I’d love to see those rims fitted on these tires.

Edited by JLiu15

I really love the old Defenders. And I hate this one.

It's not Lego's fault, but Land Rover's; because the design of the new Defender downgrades the iconic “dinosaur of 4x4s“ to just another ridiculous lifestyle-SUV.

Easy pass for me.

Edited by Al Legoric

17 minutes ago, JLiu15 said:

I wonder if those rims are the same diameter as this one. If so, I’d love to see those rims fitted on these tires.

Wheels are 81.6 x 36, so rims are 56 x 34 (the same size as in 42000 set)

I think this is one of the most well covered up technic sets in recent memory.

22 minutes ago, CFOL said:

I think this is one of the most well covered up technic sets in recent memory.

Or.....the first set in a new genre.  Called "Creachnic" 

After the first "shock", I collected my thoughts, I am still on the fence... I tend to be on the positive side a bit, as I never expected this to be the old classic Landy, so no fundamental disappointment here. :classic:

Bad:

• Unimog tires should have been used - more proportional, more realistic for an expedition vehicle
  • Color - not compatible with existing ones, just kills the spirit of LEGOing...
  • Fenders - lazy answer for a design problem, also seems not to have too many connection points
  • Too many slope brick - if a fender could be made, they could easily produce 4 or 6 length slopes or bevel brick

Good:

• Quite good replication of the original (which is still bad, without much personality)
  • Promising technical details
  • Beginning of a new era?
Edited by agrof

23 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

that wheel arch has got to be the ugliest panel so far in the whole lineup. How's that gonna be useful for anything else than Land Rover wheel arches?

The answer you are looking for is Chevy/GMC trucks. They use "square" wheel arches to stand out in the busy field of the trucks. These panels will be great for any car with angular wheel arches, although colors that are more common would be more useful. 

Edited by BusterHaus

Looking at the door handle, there is the potential for it to have a "locking" mechanism- the axle hole towards the rear of the car is not attached to anything. I would look forward to something even like where you need to turn the handle before opening the door.

17 hours ago, I_Igor said:

Screening in Arabian like Allah Akbar?

Allah Akbar is an important sacred phrase for muslims which means "God is Greatest". Your comment is not pleasant I'd say.

Thanks for the images. It looks too smooth for me, more creator expert than technic. Not a set for me but I look forward to the reviews when they come out.

H

4 hours ago, I_Igor said:

Wheels are 81.6 x 36, so rims are 56 x 34 (the same size as in 42000 set)

Oh nice, I’m curious to see how they look with the existing tires for that rim!

Probably gonna use them with this tire if I were to get them.

4 hours ago, agrof said:

Unimog tires should have been used - more proportional, more realistic for an expedition vehicle

Yo WHAT

Unimog tyres are massive though. They’d be way out of scale!

16 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

I think the "coffin" is something like a Thule roof pack such as this one:

Maybe the "coffin" will work with the LEGO HIDDEN SEE app.  :laugh:

11 hours ago, Meatman said:

I would imagine that It will crack the weak axle hole in that connector before it twists the axle.

I seem to recall Lego using torsion bars on a simple machine in an ideas book a very long time ago, but I don't think that they would ever use parts in that way today as damaging parts isn't something that fits their design criteria.

I must say that I was unexpectedly surprised and pleased with the release of this new Land Rover model. The build design looks very interesting.

I think modelling parts breaking and costly to replace is in line with realism of a modern Land Rover.  It might be better to lease than buy.  At least you won't be stuck with an olive lemon when things start breaking and resale value drops off the cliff.  :wink:

6 hours ago, agrof said:
  • Fenders - lazy answer for a design problem, also seems not to have too many connection points
  • Too many slope brick - if a fender could be made, they could easily produce 4 or 6 length slopes or bevel brick

I think the Fenders are OK, but they just look like they are attached to the side of the rest of the car rather than being set into the car by say the width of one beam.

The slope bricks looks like they decided to use the same technique as 10265 Creator Mustang.

6 hours ago, Samer said:

Allah Akbar is an important sacred phrase for muslims which means "God is Greatest". Your comment is not pleasant I'd say.

I know what it means and why it should be mentioned? Should Ngoc not thank God for such good technic lineup?

5 hours ago, JLiu15 said:

Oh nice, I’m curious to see how they look with the existing tires for that rim!

Probably gonna use them with this tire if I were to get them.

Yes, they should fit.

3 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Yo WHAT

You have a point. Only way to fit the scale would be that TLC made new tire for wheel racing small.

28 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

Only way to fit the scale would be that TLC made new tire for wheel racing small.

I don't understand what you're saying :S

9 hours ago, agrof said:

• Color - not compatible with existing ones, just kills the spirit of LEGOing...

What's wrong to have more colors available? 

Suggest your "right" colour for the model!

Unimog tyres would be wrong for this it’s not an Expedition vehicle it’s a Defender.

Normal Defender tyres aren’t massively chunky. This model is meant to represent a standard spec Defender in my opinion. Most probably the new 90 as it’s only a 2 door.

I do like the look of the model but do agree its very heavy on slopes and bricks to get some of the shaping. But if that means we get more licensed cars like this that’s ok. The Mack truck and Chiron both use these techniques.

1 hour ago, Bartybum said:

I don't understand what you're saying :S

I mean tire like Tumbler but more narrow would be good solution for expedition vehicle because it has high profile

16 hours ago, Meatman said:

I would imagine that It will crack the weak axle hole in that connector before it twists the axle.

I agree the axle hole is the weak link during play, but when the model stands still for months it will slowly twist the torsion axle under its own weight. I know this from experience. Only when the torsion bar is auxiliary and carries only a fraction of the weight, causing only light torsional tension, it won't twist over time.

The black axles from the 1970s had a different blend and did not twist over time, but these could break fairly easily under serious torsion.

1 hour ago, Yevhen said:

What's wrong to have more colors available? 

Suggest your "right" colour for the model!

The problem is, that MOCing is quite impossible with on hand parts - only if Yo buy another set of this. F.e.: to build the long version, use the new parts for other builds, etc. I have no "right" color suggestion other than: an existing one. The new color choice retracts from permeability in the system, which is one of the best part of LEGO. Of course, only if You like to stick on unified colors for bodywork, if not, than no issue. :wink:

For the next, keep in mind, I am about to make it more Off-road vehicle (visually as well), than it actually is. This is not LEGO's issue, this is a trend in real life, the new Defender is more fashion accessories, the target group is heavily changed in the last decades. Some like it, some don't, You might already guess, where I am.

1 hour ago, Seasider said:

Unimog tyres would be wrong for this it’s not an Expedition vehicle it’s a Defender.

Normal Defender tyres aren’t massively chunky. This model is meant to represent a standard spec Defender in my opinion. Most probably the new 90 as it’s only a 2 door.

I do like the look of the model but do agree its very heavy on slopes and bricks to get some of the shaping. But if that means we get more licensed cars like this that’s ok. The Mack truck and Chiron both use these techniques.

This model doesn't represent the standard one, as it comes with expedition accessories. At least I will be very surprised if the cities will be full with new Defenders, all equipped with roof rack, sand rails, roof box. Sure, since I saw The LEGO Movie 2, we can not exclude this possibility. :classic:

"Normal Defender tyres aren’t massively chunky." - correct, but it is true for the width, and not for the height (profile). Speaking about real life, in rough terrain balloon tyres are handy, so the height of the Unigmog tires would fit nicely here, not to mention the more realistic tire pattern.

6 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Agree, out of scale if You compare to original car, which is not really meant to go real off-road. For surfing on desert dunes, cruising on paved roads, driving on grass and calling it off-road: low profile and wide tires are OK.

Edited by agrof