Do you guys wanna know why it doesn’t look like Lego? Other than the wheel arches, almost the entire remainder of the bodywork is comprised of beams sitting axle-up, making the car look really boxy.

Edited by Bartybum

1 hour ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

... it can be used to transport bodies from gangs' strifes to hidden burial site in remote areas. Hence the coffin.

Coffins are also perfect for laundered cash....stolen after the gang strife....:laugh:

What with this, the 42099 and 42100 my poor ol' bank account's going to be considerably reduced by the end of the year :sceptic:

2 hours ago, Frequenzberater said:

The new wheel arches would perfectly fit in a military helicopter. 

I am sure there will be a lot of army mocs in the near future... 

They also give me a hint that another Supercar (hopefully for next year!) could also bear them in a different color!

Do I see correctly that there is 3l perpendicular connector used for torsion? 

I really hope for deep offset rims and at least Ackermann steering :)

Interesting to see all these positive reactions. Best balanced model after the 8880? Come on! I’m not so impressed by the looks, but this is probably because the real-world model sucks. What I like are the Technic bits under the hood ...

Are we sure that it is supposed to be the next Land Rover Defender? The Lego model looks less modern than the camouflage images of the next Land Rover Defender.

6 minutes ago, Akbalder said:

Are we sure that it is supposed to be the next Land Rover Defender? The Lego model looks less modern than the camouflage images of the next Land Rover Defender.

Maybe the Lego model is deliberately a hybrid between old and new designs?

Definitely the new one and not the outgoing in my mind. The Arch shape and the front end look more like the cars running round with minimal disguise than any of the previous generations of the car. Also it’s due to be launched soon with a card to customers next year so I think this coming out October fits with it being the new model too.

3 hours ago, Frequenzberater said:

The new wheel arches would perfectly fit in a military helicopter. 

I am sure there will be a lot of army mocs in the near future... 

Where would the arch be in a helicopter?

1 hour ago, WvG_853 said:

What I like are the Technic bits under the hood

That's what technic should be in my opinion. Not only the look.

1 hour ago, WvG_853 said:

Interesting to see all these positive reactions. Best balanced model after the 8880? Come on! I’m not so impressed by the looks, but this is probably because the real-world model sucks. What I like are the Technic bits under the hood ...

I mean, except for adjustable suspension and rear wheel steering, it’s got pretty much the same stuff, and isn’t egregiously large or overpriced.

Mate of mine, who is the owner of a Landrover Discovery vehicle sent me this on an email!!

"If all those bits are actually working then it's not a very accurate model: 

Developed in partnership with Land Rover, this building toy has vague steering due to dodgy track rod ends, worn output shaft 4-speed sequential gearbox that won't select third, All Wheel Drive with 3 differentials, two of which are full of swarf, independent suspension in which all the bushings need replacing and a detailed in-line 6-cylinder engine which drinks oil and belches black smoke and a seized winch"

If it was several years, my mate (and many other owners!) would less annoyed!! They're terrible new. This model is a far better purchase option!! By the set, and then go by a Hyundai with the money you saved, cos they're bulletproof!! :grin:

The model genuinely look brilliant though, i wasn't expecting something so good. It might sneak onto my want list, and i'm not a car guy. Nothing better than having your preconceptions proven wrong. Pleased to say i was wrong in thinking it would be a dull set! 

2 hours ago, tomek9210 said:

Do I see correctly that there is 3l perpendicular connector used for torsion?

800x450.jpg

It looks like something like this, but I very much doubt if LEGO would add such a feature. It will twist the torsion axle over time.

2 hours ago, tomek9210 said:

I really hope for deep offset rims and at least Ackermann steering :)

I hope so too. If it uses the new CV-joints from 42099, I suppose at least the rotating part of the wheel hub will be new too. So why not also the new hub with Ackermann geometry we see in 42099, hopefully without the gear reduction.

Edited by Didumos69

1 hour ago, Didumos69 said:

It looks like something like this, but I very much doubt if LEGO would add such a feature. It will twist the torsion axle over time.

I would imagine that It will crack the weak axle hole in that connector before it twists the axle.

On 6/21/2019 at 5:22 AM, aol000xw said:

Is that a torsion bar? Did TLG use a torsion bar ever?

I seem to recall Lego using torsion bars on a simple machine in an ideas book a very long time ago, but I don't think that they would ever use parts in that way today as damaging parts isn't something that fits their design criteria.

I must say that I was unexpectedly surprised and pleased with the release of this new Land Rover model. The build design looks very interesting.

Edited by Meatman

I thought torsion bars were on the illegal list (for those who follow the pure science and shun the black arts!!)? 

Good to see a torsion bar but not with such a fragile piece like that, not Technic not Model Team more money saved for me.

I am on the party pooper side here. The real car looks fugly, so there is no chance the LEGO model would look nice. It looks like a cardboard box with holes for the tires, which once again use boring and overused profile... same as F1 car??? WTF! New rims and mudguards just don't cut the cake for me. Focus remains on Liebherr and 4x4...