Set looka pretty cool but kinda wish it was an original defender in dark blue or even tan. Looking forward to the reviews of all these sets!

42 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

176191.jpg

What are the things on the roof? A coffin?

Almost looks like a PF battery box (I know it is not) with the orange element sticking out. 

5 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

SO COOL IM SCREAMING IN ARABIAN

Lol I thought you were Vietnamese.

Gotta say, am liking it quite a fair bit actually.

5 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

176191_1.jpg

Is that independent suspension on front ?
The space between the 9L black beam and the grey perpendicular connector seems to small for actual suspension arm.

Lego have blew me away several times this year. normally they do this every year but this year has and will top the rest. 

So I will be buying every 2h technic set as well as spike prime.

It's gonna be at least £1200 total which is a LOT but heh. I think it's worth it

Edited by SNIPE

3 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

Especially that horrid wheel arch.

Agreed. While I love the overall look, those wheel arches do detract from the model.

Just now, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

Agreed. While I love the overall look, those wheel arches do detract from the model.

I wonder what most folk's problems with the arches are.  That they are too bulky, stick out too far?  Or that they are too square (angles are almost 90 degrees)?  I know for me personally it is the latter....

Looks like a larger frame in black at the top of the windshield. 7x11 maybe?

Definitely looks like Milan's (excellent!) work. This is the (first) one I'm getting out of the 3 big ones. The other two will have to wait for (big!) sales.

By the looks the front seats will fold down to allow access to the rear ones. I reckon this will have a bunch of nice little touches inside.

Edited by JonathanM

2 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

I wonder what most folk's problems with the arches are.  That they are too bulky, stick out too far?  Or that they are too square (angles are almost 90 degrees)?  I know for me personally it is the latter....

For me I'd argue that it's a bit of both. Overall they just don't fit the look of the model. There's the seams of the parts all around which look like real Lego... and there's the wheel arch which is complete and occupies the huge region of the model. It just doesn't fit the style so it sticks out in an ugly way.

Edited by BrickbyBrickTechnic

4 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Lol I thought you were Vietnamese.

Yes that's the point. The set is so cool it makes me scream not just in my native tongue.

I hope the new rims are not licensed and thus available from BNP.   !:8 wheels are getting pricy on BL these days.  The fenders are too squarish for my liking but I'm sure it will become useful one day.

25 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Yes that's the point. The set is so cool it makes me scream not just in my native tongue.

I thought it was language... Screening in Arabian like Allah Akbar?

About fenders; all offroaders have wider fenders and this one's can be used on trucks.

7 hours ago, Seasider said:

Looks good. Like the new squared wheel arches but a bit useless at the moment being in a new colour. But I do get why they chose that colour as a very typical Landy.

any idea of release date and cost? As there’s another 4x4 to buy too!

sorry just seen £160 according to Smyths website that the image is from

Release date 4th October...

5 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Almost looks like a PF battery box (I know it is not) with the orange element sticking out. 

It is this part

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=2432#T=S&O={"iconly":0}

Only in orange

53 minutes ago, KD123 said:

I hope the new rims are not licensed and thus available from BNP.   !:8 wheels are getting pricy on BL these days.  The fenders are too squarish for my liking but I'm sure it will become useful one day.

I do not see Land Rover logo on them (like Bugatti)

10 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

:wink: we're talking about the whole fixture in top. Not just the orange element.  Looks like a pf battery box WITH  your listed part as 5he switch.

But some sort of very slim BB (max 3 studs high), don't you think?

Your coffin comparison has a point :laugh:

Edited by I_Igor

Slim indeed.  And funny, i just zoomed in and realized the "coffin" separate from the 5x11 panels  lol....before i was seeing them as joined :laugh:

So like the 5x11 panels are coffin buffers. To make sure the coffin sit tightly in the dug grave instead of rocking back and forth.

I think I know what my problem is with the model: it looks like a toy Land Rover but not a Lego Land Rover. For some reason, Meccano was my first thought or another construction toy. But not Lego. The too few pinholes must be the reason. Either no pinholes or many pinholes make a Lego look Lego for me.

The new wheel arch will be brilliant when used as a front/rear top or bottom bumper. or as a car roof panel

There were lots of super cars after 8880.

But from my standpoint this jeep feels like the best successor of the 8880 in terms of a balance between design, scale and functions.

Edited by Yevhen

54 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

So like the 5x11 panels are coffin buffers. To make sure the coffin sit tightly in the dug grave instead of rocking back and forth.

Theoretically train battery box could fit inside because roof is actually 2 studs thick.

As this is a kind of expedition version (yeah... semi slick tires), on the roof there are 2 sand ramps (5x11 panels) and a roof box, I guess with some tools like shovel, towel - just like in 42069:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRu11Gj7dXXIvfPblzktV1

+1 for the coffin theory though, that was my first thought as well. :classic:

Another spot: I think, the roof ladder is foldable.

41 minutes ago, Yevhen said:

But from my standpoint this jeep feels like the best successor of the 8880 in terms of a balance between design, scale and functions.

Ouch, You just gave offense to both Land Rover and Jeep community. Blasphemy! :oh3:

Edited by agrof

15 minutes ago, agrof said:

As this is a kind of expedition version

... it can be used to transport bodies from gangs' strifes to hidden burial site in remote areas. Hence the coffin.

7 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

They don't fit the design language of the other panels.

All the asymmetric (numbered) panels have the same design language. The shell panels (2x3x11, 2x3x7) fit nicely with those. The flat panels (3x11, 5x11, trapezium) have a slightly different design (with the stripes), but I can make them work together. The Porsche arch is a bit of a odd one out, but 3 sets so far have shown it can flow well with existing panels. The 2x3x9 variant used in the Chevrolet can also work well with the rest. But this new panel has totally new shapes that are catered to Land Rover more than to the Lego parts catalog. It doesn't look like a Lego part, because it's unlike all other Lego parts.

And because the wheel arches are so prominent, the model doesn't look Lego-y enough.

Also, I imagine it would have been much more useful to break it into 4 smaller sub-parts, that are similar in size/shape to 8x3x2 wedges (https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?P=41750). Or, better yet, try to replicate the shape with existing parts, even system parts such as that 8x3x2 wedge. That would make it less Land Rover-ish (and more parts), but more Lego-ish.