Ladies and gentlemen,

Few days ago this article poped up with some I retesting facts...

We already know that it will have price about 180€, but there are some news like that it will be a set with 2573 parts and will be available from 4th October 2019 together with Liebherr 9800 Excavator.

Another info is that it will not be motorized, so we could expect something like sets 42056 and 42083.

So far I have found only info in German, so if you need translation it can be done.

At least you do not need translation of this article. :wink:

Before I heard rumors about some lime color bodywork, but if it would've yellow as on image, I have nothing against it.

Agree, we need set that is realistic as possible and I hope it will be because it is licensed. About "fat" thing I hope that we get tires in realistic width and patterns. It was rumored something like 1:10 scale few months ago, but I'll wait for additional info to emurg. 

I look forward to more information about this set, but so far I like everything mentioned in the first post.

2500 parts and no motors means it could be similar in scale and design level as 42069. Scale is enough to do fully independent suspension driven with steering as in coming 2020 Defender. That's good news. I like it

14 minutes ago, rm8 said:

2500 parts and no motors means it could be similar in scale and design level as 42069. Scale is enough to do fully independent suspension driven with steering as in comig Defender. That's good news. I like it

I have similar thoughts, but let's wait a little bit for confirmation. I hope that in few weeks or a month images will appear.

Please be live axle suspension, please be live axle suspension, please be live axle suspension... :cry_sad:

5 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Please be live axle suspension, please be live axle suspension, please be live axle suspension... :cry_sad:

Since the new LR Defender will almost certainly have independent suspension with airdampers on all corners, it will not have live axles anymore (blasphemy according to some off-roaders). You can see this clearly in this picture of one of the pre-production vehicles which are being tested all over the world at the moment (found on https://www.caradvice.com.au/748546/land-rover-defender-air-suspension/). So I would expect the model to represent something similar and I'm really hoping for adjustable ride height in this set.

2020-Land-Rover-Defender-2.jpg

Edited by Cumulonimbus

I'm afraid @Cumulonimbus is right; because set 42110 represents new model for 2020 it will have independent suspension on all 4 wheels. Because it is 4WD vehicle there will be almost the same solution for front and rear axle (only front will be steered)

A Defender with Airride? Is Ferrari launches a Family Van next Year? It seems the new Defender will be a lifestyle Mockup like a Fiat 500L.

12 minutes ago, efferman said:

A Defender with Airride? Is Ferrari launches a Family Van next Year? It seems the new Defender will be a lifestyle Mockup like a Fiat 500L.

modern life is a big mockup, fake, false. People prefer to look like, not be. Most people buy defenders and G wagens to look brutal:classic: That's a style, like a clothes we buy

Oh man that's a let down that it's gonna be the new Defender. Really not a fan of how it looks, much prefer the old one

17 minutes ago, rm8 said:

modern life is a big mockup, fake, false. People prefer to look like, not be. Most people buy defenders and G wagens to look brutal:classic: That's a style, like a clothes we buy

Wow, deep, but sadly true. I think it's pretty much a given that 42110 will be based on the new poser defender. The best we can hope for (and I think this would actually be pretty freaken sweet) is a B model based on the classic icon with the live axles. If it was me designing it I'd push for it to have 2 A models, so when you flip the box round you don't see a typical back of the box but another front. So you have the new poser on one side and the old icon on the other. I think this would satisfy the need to make the new one as an A model while allowing for more time and budget (and the possibility of new parts such as leaf springs for the suspension) to be allowed for the "B" model. I don't think B models have ever been allowed to have new parts before so by having 2 A models that would get around that. This is only what my approach to the set would be and of course I won't look negatively on the set if this turns out not to be the case.

28 minutes ago, allanp said:

....The best we can hope for (and I think this would actually be pretty freaken sweet) is a B model based on the classic icon with the live axles. If it was me designing it I'd push for it to have 2 A models, so when you flip the box round you don't see a typical back of the box but another front. So you have the new poser on one side and the old icon on the other.....

That would be truly Awesome

Slightly off topic, but I think air ride suspension on an off-road vehicle can be an advantage. In off road situations it allows for active leveling, adjustable ride height and increased ground clearance under the axles. In on road situations it means added comfort, more predictable handling in tight maneuvering and high speed cruising. I had the pleasure of driving a LR3 Discovery (aka Discovery 3) and while it was a heavy vehicle due to its chassis design, it was a very comfortable cruiser and a very capable off-roader.

Live axles have their merits as well, especially for extreme off-roading vehicles: very big articulations in some cases, very sturdy end more easily repaired in the field. But the drawbacks of these cannot be dismissed in a modern vehicle. I once drove a recent Jeep Cherokee in a multistory car park and while taking a slow speed turn driving onto the ramp towards the next floor, the rear live axle just couldn't cope: The simultaneous turning, transmitting power and articulating created a very discerning wobble from side to side as well as up and down. It really wasn't an extreme situation and any other car (with other suspension types) I drove in similar conditions never showed that behavior.

I guess this means that the new Defender will be much more on-road focused than the old version, but let’s face it: the outgoing version is a glorified tractor: very good off road, but very compromised on road. It makes sense that LR really wants to create a market which is as big as possible to justify the developing costs and unfortunately, this market mostly consists of people who rarely drive of the pavement. Prove of this is the simple fact they are testing the pre-production cars on the Nurburgring which you only do if you want to test and tweak high speed behavior..

Back on topic: I like the idea of a classic Defender as B-model, but how big are the chances for this? Seems this set is part of the effort of Land Rover to create acceptance for the radically new model (just look at the discussion here to illustrate how strong the opinions about the Defender are). Putting it directly besides any previous version in real life and as a set will not help people to convince that the chosen evolution is for the better when they are reminded of the out of reach icon. My best guess for a possible B-model (if any) is a short wheel base version, maybe tricked out a bit with an extra winch, roof rack (similar as the Creator Mustang).

Edited by Cumulonimbus
Some thoughts added

I agree with @Cumulonimbus, time has changed, people's need as well. Most people uses such off-roaders as status symbol rather than a tool, and maybe never leave paved roads. Sad for hardcore off road fans, but opens new doors to business (I also don't necessarily agree to fulfill all the needs of people). As the new Landy is just about at the premier, of course it is an easy guess, that the LEGO model will be based on this new one. Still, we might be surprised... what if the pneumatic suspension will be implemented, as it is a key feature of the real thing? What if we get proper drive train with lockable differentials? Would be very nice, I think. Definitely the most anticipated set of this year for me, I hope it will be on scale with Madoca's FJ40 - for s(h)elfish reason. :tongue:

Regarding the B-model, I would keep expectations super low... think of 42056,42096, 42083.

Edited by agrof

44 minutes ago, Cumulonimbus said:

Slightly off topic, but I think air ride suspension on an off-road vehicle can be an advantage. In off road situations it allows for active leveling, adjustable ride height and increased ground clearance under the axles. In on road situations it means added comfort, more predictable handling in tight maneuvering and high speed cruising. I had the pleasure of driving a LR3 Discovery (aka Discovery 3) and while it was a heavy vehicle due to its chassis design, it was a very comfortable cruiser and a very capable off-roader.

Live axles have their merits as well, especially for extreme off-roading vehicles: very big articulations in some cases, very sturdy end more easily repaired in the field. But the drawbacks of these cannot be dismissed in a modern vehicle. I once drove a recent Jeep Cherokee in a multistory car park and while taking a slow speed turn driving onto the ramp towards the next floor, the rear live axle just couldn't cope: The simultaneous turning, transmitting power and articulating created a very discerning wobble from side to side as well as up and down. It really wasn't an extreme situation and any other car (with other suspension types) I drove in similar conditions never showed that behavior.

I guess this means that the new Defender will be much more on-road focused than the old version, but let’s face it: the outgoing version is a glorified tractor: very good off road, but very compromised on road. It makes sense that LR really wants to create a market which is as big as possible to justify the developing costs and unfortunately, this market mostly consists of people who rarely drive of the pavement.  

Back on topic: I like the idea of a classic Defender as B-model, but how big are the chances for this? Seems this set is part of the effort of Land Rover to create acceptance for the radically new model (just look at the discussion here to illustrate how strong the opinions about the Defender are). Putting it directly besides any previous version in real life and as a set will not help people to convince that the chosen evolution is for the better when they are reminded of the out of reach icon. 

Old defender is not as compromised on road as many think. I have both v8 petrol and Turbo diesel 110s and either of them will shame a lot of cars on road trips. Maybe not in straight road speed but on windy roads not much will get away from it. My brother used to ride with me and used to say you should see the look on peoples faces when they get passed by a vintage landrover

20 minutes ago, Bricktrain said:

Old defender is not as compromised on road as many think. I have both v8 petrol and Turbo diesel 110s and either of them will shame a lot of cars on road trips. Maybe not in straight road speed but on windy roads not much will get away from it. My brother used to ride with me and used to say you should see the look on peoples faces when they get passed by a vintage landrover

It wasn't really the speed I was taking about, but more the driving comfort: As I remember, the seating position in Defenders is a bit awkward because you sit very close to the door (at least this was an issue in the left-hand drive 110 I drove). Secondly, the noise (wind, engine and tires) in the cabin at speed is not really acceptable for modern standards because people tend not to notice how good standard cars have become. Not to mention the spartan equipment levels , no airbags available for example. Most potential customers for a new, rather pricey, offroad vehicle will have high expectations for the looks, onboard equipment, safety and comfort. The Defender was destined to go extinct if it refused to evolve, either for economic or legislative reasons.

Edited by Cumulonimbus

2 hours ago, rm8 said:

You could not explain it better. People do not live their lives but others and the same is with things they make...

11 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

people buy defenders and G wagens to look brutal

WHAWHAWHAWHAW
Those  pensionada with their fake SUV's with a lawnmowermotor inside.