My latest MOC, “Happy Hourglass,” was built for Eurobricks’ collaboration, “Potion Shoppe,” displayed at Brickworld Chicago 2019.  

48095026423_986662e623_z.jpg 

This project was originally planned as a time realm for Eurobricks’ world tree the prior year, but since I couldn’t make the trip, I repurposed the gears and clock face as a fanciful glockenspiel-style grandfather clock.

36445866804_acfb6768a9_z.jpg

41253456740_bd687ce42a_z.jpg  48095254977_778d728952_z.jpg

46081073304_db089b0fa2_z.jpg  48095026413_55c0bf40f7_z.jpg

As usual, the final design weighed in heavier than anyone anticipated, so the table underneath was designed and built last.  For the tabletop, I sandwiched 2 layers of 4x (32x32) Technic brick grids originally planned as risers for my plot of land in Happy Mountain (EB BW17). The result was quite indestructible, as it didn’t sag a bit!  For the table legs, I modified the poles from my River Wheel, filling the hollow center with perpendicular Technic bricks.  

48095026313_181510c968_z.jpg  46806349241_3f577a9dcf_z.jpg

The gears in both the turntable and clock face are another iteration of the high-torque gears from the River Wheel, this time adding 4 planetary gears inside the 11x11 Technic arches. Unfortunately, the 11x11 quarter circles don’t rotate smoothly when driven with 4 gears, since the driving gears all pass over the gaps simultaneously, leading to an eccentric, jerky motion. This led to frequent questions whether the hourglass had stopped working happily, only to be proven otherwise when it’d restart untouched within moments.  As they say, there’s no stopping time!

48095026328_f1fafd6e74_z.jpg

Happy Hourglass and the Potion Shoppe (topic and pictures soon forthcoming) won Best Mechanical and Best Group Display, respectively, at Brickworld Chicago 2019.

48074681712_bf470c625b_z.jpg  48083362168_d16760937d_z.jpg

View larger photos and videos on my flickr!

Edit: I have posted an updated video here.

Totally speechless. The Happy Hourglass is already god-like, much less the whole Potion Shoppe. *oh2* Epic collaborative build!

I'm sure everybody but me knows what this actually is, but would somebody tell me what this actualy is?

And yes, it does look awesome. It would be lovely to see a video too.

6 hours ago, Lipko said:

I'm sure everybody but me knows what this actually is, but would somebody tell me what this actualy is?

And yes, it does look awesome. It would be lovely to see a video too.

A glockenspiel is a German clock with animatronic figures moving in a circle beneath the clock on the hour or at noon. There is such a clock in New Ulm, MN, USA to which my family & I took a short trip last summer for reference photos & inspiration. I wrote a short report about the city and this particular glockenspiel in 4th grade, so this variation of a clock was especially relevant for me. And since it was for a wizardry theme, I was at liberty to make it look mystical or sort of floating in the air.

There are zoomed-in or non-final videos in the album linked in the original post.

32 minutes ago, RoxYourBlox said:

A glockenspiel is a German clock with animatronic figures moving in a circle beneath the clock on the hour or at noon. There is such a clock in New Ulm, MN, USA to which my family & I took a short trip last summer for reference photos & inspiration. I wrote a short report about the city and this particular glockenspiel in 4th grade, so this variation of a clock was especially relevant for me. And since it was for a wizardry theme, I was at liberty to make it look mystical or sort of floating in the air.

There are zoomed-in or non-final videos in the album linked in the original post.

Oh, sorry I missed those...

Very cool project. :thumbup: This proves that human imagination has no limits. 

This is awesome!

I have edited your post to change the first image (this makes it easier to frontpage) :wink: 

Edit: I see it has been frontpaged already. Well, it deserves a double frontpage :laugh:

24 minutes ago, Jim said:

This is awesome!

I have edited your post to change the first image (this makes it easier to frontpage) :wink: 

Thank you! However, I think it has been frontpaged twice in a row... :look:

how in the world do you have so many legos?!?! I mean, i only have a small tub of legos with me, so that might be it...

anyways, awesome build!