48086872277_e5d0f96b26_z.jpg

Atlas Copco Minetruck MT85 - powered by Buwizz

The MT85 was a prototype of a 85t truck built by Atlas Copco, which could have become the world’s largest articulated underground mining truck. It was presented in MINExpo Las Vegas in 2012. The truck was articulated at a maximum angle of 40° and has a rear steering axle.

900x0_MNSW-TRK-ATCO-MT85.jpg

Unfortunately, the prototype never came into production and very limited information and pictures of it are available. Even Atlas-Copco website no longer has a dedicated page of the MT85.

The MOC

Design

The MOC is based on the design of the initial prototype. We have so a 6x6 low profile articulated truck.

48086780001_709e064f9a_z.jpg48086813208_54515915a1_z.jpg

48086871572_b49bf210ff_z.jpg

A tiny cabin with an opening door and a seat can be found on the left side of the forward part. The center is mostly occupied by the engine hood. It is not very detailed but hides 2 of 3 motors used in this truck.

48086779946_0d59c66b02_z.jpg

Forward axle is rigid (no suspension) and equipped with a differential. The articulation is built around a steering ball joint, it accommodate the axle for steering and propulsion.

48086813798_fbcdd8349e_z.jpg48086778816_407cbbfa26_z.jpg

48086871147_e3e2cf8681_z.jpg

The technical part of the truck is located at the front part of the rear chassis. Here are installed the 3 mini linear-actuators for steering and the motor for tilting the tipper.

48086870322_72494d1b49_z.jpg48086871412_480f09c49d_z.jpg

Rear part of the main chassis accommodates the two rear axle (1 fix the other steering) both equipped with a differential. The tipper support is fixed at the rear end of the chassis.

The tipper is a separated part simply clipped on its support; it is a technical choice here to ease the access below. It has a low profile like on the real truck and a rear opening door.

48086814348_22724f30eb_z.jpg48086778616_6c087a6f5a_z.jpg

Functions

There is only 3 functions in this truck.

The first one is the propulsion. It is performed through a PF-XL motor installed in the nose of the truck. The reduction is 3:5 and it powers all 6 wheels.

48086778816_407cbbfa26_z.jpg48086871257_70f23ff6bf_z.jpg

Second function is the steering, divided in two parts: articulation and rear axle, both powered by the same PF-M motor installed above the forward axle. The articulation is actuated by two mini linear-actuators.

The steering of the rear axle is actuated by a third mini linear-actuator installed under the belly of the truck. It slides a series of beam back and forward that creates the rotation of the rear axle.

48086870662_930dd6da13_z.jpg48086778686_0395fc7f2b_z.jpg

Third and last function is the tilting of the tipper, combined with the opening of the rear door.  Tilting is actuated by a single Linear-actuator powered by a PF-M motor. The opening of the door is “simply” done by two string linked to the chassis.

48086813533_fd3ed6893e_z.jpg48086871217_24fc52205a_z.jpg

All the functions are powered using a single Buwizz brick. For this MOC the it was the best compromise between the number of function.

(Note: This post is a partial copy-paste of the complete article on my website https://superk-technic.com/minetruck_MT85)

Thank you for reading

Edited by Superkoala
Moved initial image

Just now, M_longer said:

Have you considered using Tires 94.3 x 38 R?

Yes I did, my first try was with those tyres but the scale didn't please me, I didn't wanted to make a super large truck.

Interesting model. I like the way you did the rear steering on this, I'm not normally a fan of rear or trailer steering on trucks but I don't mind it on this model.

I don't like a few parts but it is an awesome MOC, I do not ubnderstand the scale problem, the unimog tyres are the same height that yours.

6 minutes ago, jorgeopesi said:

I don't like a few parts but it is an awesome MOC, I do not ubnderstand the scale problem, the unimog tyres are the same height that yours.

You know what ? I was sure they were bigger. But as I doubted I just verified via Sariel's chart.

I guess it deserves a try with some picture :classic:

Nice MOC, I like it, especially the steering system! :thumbup: Not only clever, but also very satisfying to look at in work.

Superkoala is right (of course, as he is super! :tongue:), he uses 81,6 diameter tires here.

Edited by agrof

30 minutes ago, Srdjan5033 said:

A lovely MOC indeed :) The BuWizz is making it possible. Got to get me one of those bad boys. 

I clearly recommend you to get one Buwizz if you only make "simple" MOC (aka not more than 4 function). From my point of view it's the most compact/easiest/powerful way to work.

(Also there is sometime special offer directly through Buwizz.com but I haven't seen one for some time now)

2 hours ago, Superkoala said:

You know what ? I was sure they were bigger. But as I doubted I just verified via Sariel's chart.

I guess it deserves a try with some picture :classic:

I would like to see it but with your tyres is a very good truck.

You know what, typical! I decide to try my hand at building an underground hauler and you big fat went and posted yours. :laugh:

Wonderful job! You've clearly had to pick your way through what to to include and what not to and I think you've made good choices. I do think Unimog tyres would look better, but otherwise this is great. :thumbup:

I like it a lot!
I have already seen it on Istagram, I really like your mocs, and also your pictures/video are very well done.

As somebody else said, the steering system is very clever - maybe the rear wheels steer a little to much?

Unimog wheels are too big for this model, you should change scale if you want to use them.

In my opinion you should add some stickers to complete the overall look :thumbup:

4 hours ago, jorgeopesi said:

the unimog tyres are the same height that yours.

He's using 81.6 tires, not 94mm :)

4 hours ago, M_longer said:

He's using 81.6 tires, not 94mm :)

Ouch!, then this MOC is even better that I thought.

10 hours ago, Superkoala said:

Yes I did, my first try was with those tyres but the scale didn't please me, I didn't wanted to make a super large truck.

...and I assume Tumbler tires are to wide. I like simplicity with main mining dump truck features and particularly steering. :thumbup:

I’m really impressed with your creation. You write, “only three functions”, but you have implemented them very interestingly! My compliments!

Yeah, that rear axle steering made me grab the keyboard too. Nice job, kudos.

18 hours ago, Superkoala said:

I clearly recommend you to get one Buwizz if you only make "simple" MOC (aka not more than 4 function). From my point of view it's the most compact/easiest/powerful way to work.

(Also there is sometime special offer directly through Buwizz.com but I haven't seen one for some time now)

Yeah, i like making small/medium trucks that use a L or XL motor, or tanks with up to 4 functions. But i find the rechargeable battery box a bit underpowered for even one XL motor. The price on the other hand is a bit steep, like for any niche hobby :)

Thank you all for your messgae.

A quick feedback on the tires topic, after some check, yes mywheels are 81.6 mm and not 94mm, but I will anyway try something with Bricklink's Studio software to use 81.6 mm wheels from old 42000 Formula one set.

18 hours ago, mpj said:

As somebody else said, the steering system is very clever - maybe the rear wheels steer a little to much?

In fact the steering of the rear wheels is not the problem, the problem is the articulation taht can't reach an angle large enough. I maybe should have used Large Linear-actuators instead of mini ones (a this should be tottaly possible at a larger scale with the Unimog wheels)

This is an awesome MOC!

One thing I am missing though. One proper main image. Can you edit your post and include one as the first image? 
(that way I can easily do some frontpage promotion)

This one might suffice, but I bet you can do better :wink: 

48086871147_e3e2cf8681_z.jpg

19 hours ago, Jim said:

This is an awesome MOC!

One thing I am missing though. One proper main image. Can you edit your post and include one as the first image? 
(that way I can easily do some frontpage promotion)

This one might suffice, but I bet you can do better :wink:

Hello Jim, Thank you for your message :classic:

I have added an additionnal initial image to the first line, which wasn't in the original post, don't hesitate to tell me if you need anything else.

Edited by Superkoala

You’re good! Frontpaged.