HoMa

Fx Bricks (Michael Gale) announces Fx Track system

So, someone tried to ballast the R72 or R88 curves yet? I am curious how compatible to other track @michaelgale 's are in regard to ballast; do the TrixBrix ballast plates fit? At least the R72 seems to use quite a different approach than TrixBrix or BlueBrixx.

Meanwhile -- as a european -- I stoically wait for the sea container to arrive at JB.

@michaelgale just updated the reference instructions on l-gauge with his suggestion for 56-120 brick built ballast. It also notes which tracks are compatible for each size curve.

Three months after placing and paying for my order the expected shipping date is now 5 days ago and so far I've not had a reply from JB Spielwaren.

I'm sure it will arrive eventually...

On 9/4/2021 at 9:45 PM, Duq said:

Three months after placing and paying for my order the expected shipping date is now 5 days ago and so far I've not had a reply from JB Spielwaren.

I'm sure it will arrive eventually...

I called JB Spielwaren on August 30 for my pre-order. They said they were still waiting for the arrival of the shipment. Communication could be better, but the delay seems to be caused by shipping.

I received a reply today:

The rails are still at customs. As soon as customs have released the goods, we can ship.

Not much to do other than wait...

Transatlantic shipping is messed up for everything.  I ordered vinyl 3 weeks ago, it's only just shipped, and will take 8 weeks to get to me.  It's not just Fx Bricks, nor JB Spielwaren - it's everything everywhere.

On a different note, @michaelgale I'm aware you will be producing curves up to and including R152, but will you ever go beyond?  TrixBrix produces R184, will you go up to that?  Also, will you produce motors in the future with larger than standard wheels - steam locomotives particularly have large drivers and harder to conceal train motors.

I'd guess that simply some staff of JB is on holiday or something: I ordered another pack of only S32 tracks and they haven't sent it for 6 days now -- while claiming a delivery time of 2-3 working days. Oh my.

2 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I ordered another pack of only S32 tracks and they haven't sent it for 6 days now -- while claiming a delivery time of 2-3 working days.

Today is Tuesday. Minus 6 days - you ordered last Wednesday, correct? Maybe a bit late? So Thursday, the machine on the other side was ringing bells, and staff noticed. So they put the order into the loop. The Friday hit hard - weekend! On Monday, things moved on. It could very well be that DHL or whatever postal service they are using, is frying more profitable fish for a couple of days, and they did not pick up the package in time. Or the package is waiting for being picked-up. Don't know, if they have enough staff to package orders and drive them over to the postal service on a day-to-day basis.

6 days - there is hope. Back then, 6 days was in-com-pre-hen-sible as delivery time. 2 weeks at least.

When ordering from other companies (e.g., Conrad) the "1-2 days service" they boldly show on their webpages usually means that they literally fly a copter to your home. Which is also a tiny bit more expensive. It usually takes any time between 3 and 9 days, depending on traffic at the site and at the carrier.

At least this is what I experienced. Amazon may be different - but you know what that Jeff-Clown said, when he returned from "space" - he thanked all the Amazon customers and employees - because they "are paying for this". :pir-huzzah2:

Best,
Thorsten       

@Toastie I am not trying to complain about having to wait for a week or two; or that I don't get the package flown in immediately. It just occurred to me that JB currently does not meet their own delivery promises for items they do not have in stock (R88), but also for items they do have in stock (S32). And if they have additional challenges on top of the container being late, then I do not expect my pre-order to arrive before october -- which is a bit of a bummer.

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

which is a bit of a bummer.

@Black Knight: I know ... I forgot to post this one: :sarcasm:. So, no offense.

It was just to point out that all these "3rd party" (in addition to being 100% dependent on the supplier) are under serious pressure, trying to hold up with other "ordered today - delivered tomorrow" companies.

And be assured: I can see your point clearly!

Cross my fingers that you will be served sooner than later!!!

All the best
Thorsten

Hello Folks:

JBS and we at Fx Bricks are definitely at the mercy of our supply chains and logistics companies.  The freight brokers we work with are really good at their job and are doing their best to get the goods from our warehouse in Hong Kong to Canada and Germany.  In the current climate, both air and sea freight rates have been in constant flux with rates more than tripling in the past few months.  Furthermore, customs/import procedures have changed in Germany this summer and JBS faced a longer processing time to finally clear the consignment of R88 tracks. We do know that the shipment has finally cleared and JBS are working hard to fulfill orders with R88 tracks. (Luckily Canadian customs clearance has been mercifully smooth and quick!)

We have a pipeline of more track shipments enroute via sea container and soon we will be green-lighting the R56 and R104 for a production run (with pre-order soon after).  In fact, they are already in the shop for you guys to check out!

https://shop.fxbricks.com/products/r56-curve-track

https://shop.fxbricks.com/products/r104-curve-track

We know our release schedule has slipped (predictably), but rest assured, we actually do deliver on our commitments eventually!

I suppose I can't resist to reveal another bit of good news...

Another Step Closer...

We're getting closer!  Both the left and right P40 switch master molds and the metal rails.  We are so impressed with the precision and quality of the progressive metal stamping for the longer rail segments.  This will make a big difference for smooth running and electrical continuity.  Lots more work to do, but we're actually doing it!

As for more work...the motor bogie, power feeder, speed regulator, etc. are all in the pipeline and in active development...more on those another time!

Michael

Fx Bricks

@Vilhelm22 I forgot to answer your two questions:

1. I don't know if we'll make curve radii larger than R152.  Each track element is quite expensive and offering 7x different radii R56 to R152 is already very generous!  I'm not saying we're never going to make >R152; but we are more tempted to prioritize elements such as the 90 deg crossing, diamonds, accessory elements, etc. before other curve radii.  Also, our product strategy is also guided by you guys--both in what you tell us and what you buy.  We've learned a lot about your priorities over the last year--for example, we didn't plan on releasing a R56 curve track--but we heard enough vocal demands for one, that we went ahead with it!  :)

2. The motor bogie is quite a complex product.  After we release the familiar 2-axle version, we are tempted to develop a 3 axle variant as a follow-up.  A dedicated steam locomotive drive unit would be more complex and quite honestly more likely to fail.  This is because of the large variety of steam locomotive wheel arrangements, coupling rod gear, wheelbases, wheel diameters, etc. etc.  It would be an impossible task to make a steam loco drive unit which would satisfy everyone.  The better approach is for us to release power pick-up wheel sets and standalone motor drive units with cross-axle interfaces.  That way, you are free to build the steam loco wheel chassis (with all the awesome BBB wheels, 3D print coupling rods, etc.) and use our power system to drive a motor of your choice.  

5 hours ago, michaelgale said:

@Vilhelm22 I forgot to answer your two questions:

1. I don't know if we'll make curve radii larger than R152.  Each track element is quite expensive and offering 7x different radii R56 to R152 is already very generous!  I'm not saying we're never going to make >R152; but we are more tempted to prioritize elements such as the 90 deg crossing, diamonds, accessory elements, etc. before other curve radii.  Also, our product strategy is also guided by you guys--both in what you tell us and what you buy.  We've learned a lot about your priorities over the last year--for example, we didn't plan on releasing a R56 curve track--but we heard enough vocal demands for one, that we went ahead with it!  :)

2. The motor bogie is quite a complex product.  After we release the familiar 2-axle version, we are tempted to develop a 3 axle variant as a follow-up.  A dedicated steam locomotive drive unit would be more complex and quite honestly more likely to fail.  This is because of the large variety of steam locomotive wheel arrangements, coupling rod gear, wheelbases, wheel diameters, etc. etc.  It would be an impossible task to make a steam loco drive unit which would satisfy everyone.  The better approach is for us to release power pick-up wheel sets and standalone motor drive units with cross-axle interfaces.  That way, you are free to build the steam loco wheel chassis (with all the awesome BBB wheels, 3D print coupling rods, etc.) and use our power system to drive a motor of your choice.  

@michaelgale I completely understand your reasoning - I admittedly have abnormally long coaches under construction, and I realise there aren’t many in the market for R188!

On the motors, it really was just wishful thinking - steam trains have a slightly different market.  I’d forgotten you were also doing power pickups - those will definitely be all I need!

Vilhelm22

I am in lust with the idea to produce a 3-axle variant of the 9v motor.

Please, take my money.  Like for about 10 of those 3-axle motors (and a dozen 2-axle).

Metta,

Ivan

@ivanlan9 Thanks so much for the support!  Also, thanks for calling out the 3-axle motor bogie--we do appreciate hearing what you folks want--and we have heard many requests for a 3-axle version.

We're actively developing our motor and control systems and in fact have a purpose built R&D facility for it—"the 9v Nürburgring":

NurburgringDetail_1024x1024.png?v=163120

A silly name for a serious workstation!

Nice - how's the grid holdin' up? Laser beam interrupter-wise? I mean, this is close to a high-voltage laser containment system, isn't it?

What I like the most, is the DOSC with that floppy drive. The good old days were better ... although 3 1/2" floppies are/were not really floppy ... :pir-huzzah2:

You guys rock. 9V was the best, is the best - and will be the best. The latter, because you make it happen.   

Best
Thorsten

On 9/8/2021 at 12:12 AM, Toastie said:

@Black Knight: I know ... I forgot to post this one: :sarcasm:. So, no offense.

None taken!

JB just increased their advertised delivery time (for like everything in their shop) to 5 to 7 working days: I very much appreciate that level of honesty! Also my S32 tracks are out for delivery and will probably arrive sometime later today.

11 hours ago, michaelgale said:

@ivanlan9 Thanks so much for the support!  Also, thanks for calling out the 3-axle motor bogie--we do appreciate hearing what you folks want--and we have heard many requests for a 3-axle version.

Well, there needs to be a red motor with red wheels, not just a black one!

The only thing I missed on your rig is an anti static wrist strap and something running Linux. But hey: Lasers!! :D

lab_equipment_2x.png

4 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Well, there needs to be a red motor with red wheels, not just a black one!

Or a workaround with the power pickup wheel. I'm sure that it can be used in many cases instead of a red motor ;)

57 minutes ago, Tcm0 said:

Or a workaround with the power pickup wheel. I'm sure that it can be used in many cases instead of a red motor ;)

Yes! At least as long as the pickup wheel comes with a DCC controller and a PF connector... :pir-grin:

17 hours ago, michaelgale said:

Also, thanks for calling out the 3-axle motor bogie--we do appreciate hearing what you folks want--and we have heard many requests for a 3-axle version.

@michaelgale wouldn't it be simpler/cheaper to make the two axle motor bodies have an attachment point for an unpowered middle wheel on each side like the 12v motors? I think the 9v flanges might be wider than the 12v, so it might be necessary for the middle wheel to be slightly smaller than the powered wheels (new part) but still worth considering.

14 hours ago, Toastie said:

You guys rock. 9V was the best, is the best - and will be the best. The latter, because you make it happen.   

The various accessories of the 12v era are still to die for, so I would not say 9v the universal king yet. But with enough support to fully develop the Fx9v system, it could take that crown.

6 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

The various accessories of the 12v era are still to die for, so I would not say 9v the universal king yet. But with enough support to fully develop the Fx9v system, it could take that crown.

Do you mean motorized switch points etc? I think that there are very good brick built alternatives to them with the current switches.

8 hours ago, Tcm0 said:

Do you mean motorized switch points etc? I think that there are very good brick built alternatives to them with the current switches.

As a child playing with the 12v era, it was amazing. Switch points, lights (yes, holding them at red till the cars and mini figs boarded) and lighting setup. So many nights of fun.

Rose tinted glasses are a distinct possibility...

3 hours ago, dylanfarrow said:

As a child playing with the 12v era, it was amazing. Switch points, lights (yes, holding them at red till the cars and mini figs boarded) and lighting setup. So many nights of fun.

Rose tinted glasses are a distinct possibility...

There are still lights in the PF and PUP systems. You can build your own signals. I really don't understand this point because you can literally replace everything from the 12V system with current hardware I think. Except for the metalic rails.

Edited by Tcm0