HoMa

Fx Bricks (Michael Gale) announces Fx Track system

@Rail Co I don’t think the prices for individual pieces of track will go down per se, but maybe if/when buying in large bulk quantities, we’ll see some sort of discount from @michaelgale ?

I’d wager a hard advertising campaign specifically to & for RLUGs would make the most sense initially? 

@Unfinished_Projects I concur!

SWITCHES & MOTORS should have had top priority. Granted, they’re simultaneously the most complex and most coveted items on the docket imho. I have a similar dismay when it comes to @coaster’s release lineup as well.

I’m still gunna buy their products though, along with the more exotic 3D printed parts floating around out there...

@SteamSewnEmpire The concept of cleaning components cannot possibly be considered a strong argument for switching to plastic track. Please realize that lego trains on the whole have never been considered as “mainstream” products. TLG throws us a bone or two every what, 3ish years or so?, with new set(s) that raise in price yet lessen in value... including the recent Disney train! Those mouse ears raised the price of that set by at least 40-50 usd :grin:

@Thai bricks That’s gunna be a tough venture for sure (esp. if sticking to 6~8 studs wide). You should start a new thread to show us your progress!

@ALCO y @TuxTown That’s an interesting idea for some, but won’t work for all types of trains. 

I’m crazy though, so don’t mind me.

I once made a semi-functional narrow gauge engine that was track powered! Definitely will have to revisit that later this year.

Also, I recently started working on hybrid 9V/12V r56 curves — turns out that old ME Models stuff may prove useful after all...?

I'm hoping it's just an administrative glitch and no reason to cause mass panic among AFOLS... but all mention of the new track system has gone from the Fx Bricks website.

12 minutes ago, raised said:

the new injection molded PFx brick!

I hope that they also do something about the support and non-working app.
At Buwizz and Sbrick questions are fast answered, Buwizz even within hours.
Here you never get an answer.

On 12/31/2019 at 11:48 PM, michaelgale said:

waiting for new plastic injection molded cases.

Everything is delayed due to that virus misery.

Exactly! I do not understand the logic behind their release order at all.  Their most recent update mentions an initial release of a couple different straight tracks and curved tracks, which is awesome!  But after the initial release they are moving on to switch tracks?  I just don't understand how that makes sense?  Given their updates, they have incredible design skills and quality manufacturing partners.  Yet they choose to start off by making track, which doesn't really go bad, instead of using their resources to bring back parts that are failing due to age.  I understand the desire for more options in the 9v system, but if they truly want to bring it back, the basics need to be addressed first in my opinion.  

I wonder why they are doing 2-wide sleepers and not one-wide. They do a complete track system, not just add-ons for Lego's plastic tracks, so they could have removed all the shortcomings of Lego's track system.

3 hours ago, Unfinished_Projects said:

I understand the desire for more options in the 9v system, but if they truly want to bring it back, the basics need to be addressed first in my opinion.  

Totally agree. The electrical system I'm probably more interested in at this point, the 9V connection system has never been surpassed (just look at conductive plate!), and to see some new components to give it life again would be awesome.

As well as not ageing well the 9V wires/plugs don't lend themselves to re-wiring, so if the system did a better job on that then the originals it would be doubly awesome.

1 hour ago, legotownlinz said:

I wonder why they are doing 2-wide sleepers and not one-wide. They do a complete track system, not just add-ons for Lego's plastic tracks, so they could have removed all the shortcomings of Lego's track system.

Also agree on that.. would prefer one wide sleepers, can still be Lego compatible.

5 hours ago, Unfinished_Projects said:

Capture

Does anyone know if they are working on the power aspect of their system?  Even just power pickups would be amazing.  

Is that from their blog?  Pretty sure that's my power pickup drawing. 

2 hours ago, legotownlinz said:

1-wide sleepers don't actually work, unless you still go 2-wide at the connections.  Given that, I'd rather keep the 2-wide sleepers.

19 minutes ago, coaster said:

1-wide sleepers don't actually work, unless you still go 2-wide at the connections.  Given that, I'd rather keep the 2-wide sleepers.

For your Bricktracks products it makes sense to stay compatible with Lego of course.

I'm using a large number of Lego, Bricktracks and Trixbrix tracks that I setup on the floor. Due to the size of my layout and the frequent changes ballasting the tracks is not an option. Nevertheless I wish the tracks would look more aesthetic and imho sleeper width, sleeper distance and sleeper color are the biggest issues. A better-looking track system would be a strong reason for me to invest in Fx Tracks, and probably many other people with PF and PUP trains. It would be a chance to sell the Fx Tracks to more people than those who use 9V. Putting tiles on 1-wide-sleeper tracks would be a good-looking solution, at least good enough for me. I tried to put 2x4 and 1x2 tiles on my existing tracks, but I it didn't look right to me. 

Regarding the connections, there are certainly solutions how to do it, it doesn't have to be compatible, an adapter track would be fine.

Edited by legotownlinz

48 minutes ago, legotownlinz said:

<snip>

I'm using a large number of Lego, Bricktracks and Trixbrix tracks that I setup on the floor. Due to the size of my layout and the frequent changes ballasting the tracks is not an option. Nevertheless I wish the tracks would look more aesthetic and imho sleeper width, sleeper distance and sleeper color are the biggest issues. A better-looking track system would be a strong reason for me to invest in Fx Tracks, and probably many other people with PF and PUP trains. It would be a chance to sell the Fx Tracks to more people than those who use 9V. Putting tiles on 1-wide-sleeper tracks would be a good-looking solution, at least good enough for me. I tried to put 2x4 and 1x2 tiles on my existing tracks, but I it didn't look right to me. 

<snip>

I think you can make them look really good, even with 2-wide sleepers:

37395980196_2f07f08955_h.jpgBallasted R120 Curve Instructions by Michael Gale, on Flickr

You can hit a larger audience with the track as an initial launch. 9v can only run on 9v while RC can run on both. That said it isn't like they are only working on the track. They have confirmed that a replacement "motor bogie" is in progress in the development pipeline. As a component it's going to take more time.

Ow come on
Is there really anybody that believes this guy with all his promisses, his non working app and his zero support.

Wow those renderings look great. He really is making me excited for these track pieces. I never had the chance to get my hand on the ME Models 9V track, so I'm really excited for these. They stay true to the look of the original 9V track. I am eagerly waiting to be able to get more straights as I started collecting 9V trains a little late in the game. I might not get their particular switch right off the bat as I don't necessarily "need" it but it would be nice to have.

Awesome work Micheal!

-RailCo