HoMa

Fx Bricks (Michael Gale) announces Fx Track system

My personal opinion is 9v track looks better in a layout even if running 9V trains.   For my LUG we run 9v, PF, and PU.  So all of the trackage is 9V 

This sounds amazing - a 9V train AFOL’s dream come true!

I have no idea how realistic/attainable @michaelgale & @touthomme‘s  product plans are, but I applaud their ambition and if they run another kickstarter, i’ll be jumping in to back it for a sizeable order (just as I did for their PFx bricks).

Btw - @Roadmonkeytj - I completely agree with you that the 9v metal tracks look much better than the all plastic tracks in a layout. I was late to the 9v theme but I decided to get rid of all my plastic track about two years ago and have gradually been building up a stock of 9v track. Another source for it (especially with novel pieces will be very welcome)

I was also at BW and was fortunate enough to see Michael's presentation. If I recall correctly, he has an insanely flexible system in mind for the motors- direct drive standard 9v style control, PFx control by IR or bluetooth, or a second generation PFx brick that would allow DCC style control via the tracks. I don't think he said he any plans to build a battery of his own, but since the PFx is already compatible with a PF battery, I would expect there to be some form of battery adapter available. So this system does not mean all users have to go to 9v land.

There is a bit of a golden opportunity here, PUP as it stands is deficient (connecting multiple motors, limitations of motor types, limited power supply from 6 AAA batteries, no "keep going when losing connection," and bluetooth connectivity issues at busy shows). So as was agreed upon in the room, it doesn't matter if you are a 9v-er or a PF-er, none present was in love with PUP.

Personally, my mind is still bending around the idea of going back to 9v only now with wide radius curves. It was so nice to just slap a motor bogie under a locomotive and run without having to figure out how to stuff a battery and receiver inside a 4 wide hood or what not.

A couple of people in this thread complained about the PFx app. While I do not yet have a PFx brick, I was shocked at the show. I have a couple of SBricks for my heavier trains and the bluetooth interference at BW rendered my SBricks helpless, I was lucky to get 1/2 a loop before it would drop connection. Others were saying that was typical of any bluetooth control (PUP, PFx, etc). Meanwhile, another participant took out his PF controller, pointed it at his PFx equipped train and it happily ran without any problems. So the PF compatibility looks to be a big plus in that regard. And you do not have to build the unit so that it takes up a 2x4 area on the top of your locomotive, the PFx has an extension wire to put the sensor away from the brick and discretely put it just about anywhere you'd like.

I am a convert from HO DCC model railroading and I told the FX Bricks team that I was disappointed that the FX brick was so limited in its capabilities compared with DCC, and the android app is awful. I think they were a bit offended but here we are with the promise of DCC-compatible loco functions, I am so glad I still have all my DCC controllers and software. Happy Days!

21 hours ago, netlife said:

but here we are with the promise of DCC-compatible loco functions, I am so glad I still have all my DCC controllers and software.

Just to be clear, I do not know if they will offer true DCC or "similar to DCC", and of course, all of this is "as planned", "as stated in the presentation" and "as recalled by me" so there is lots of room for garbling. In any event, the motors are at least 1.5 years off and presumably contingent on the success of the track system.

I personally have a couple of niggles about the whole thing:

• Is there enough demand for what's being proposed?
  • Why a new connector? (unless it's just half a 9V connector)
  • Is track or train parts coming first? No point doing track if there's few trains to run on them due to lack of motors

I personally think that it has great intentions, but we've yet to see above R120 in plastic, let alone metal. LEGO discontinued their own electric rail system for a multitude of reasons including cost to produce, cost of machinery repair, legislation and lack of demand, despite it being sold worldwide*. How can an aftermarket offering - with the cost of the manufacturing process and probably only being sold by AFOLs via the internet for other AFOLs - be sustainable? 
*AFAIK

2 hours ago, Matt Dawson said:

How can an aftermarket offering - with the cost of the manufacturing process and probably only being sold by AFOLs via the internet for other AFOLs - be sustainable? 
*AFAIK

It can't and it will never happen. It's the result of the excitement created around Brickworld but will be dead as a doornail when creating the first realistic business plan.

Maybe they have seen some potential that the doubters haven’t.

I hope it succeeds and will be supporting any crowdfunding proposal that they come up with.

12 hours ago, Matt Dawson said:

How can an aftermarket offering - with the cost of the manufacturing process and probably only being sold by AFOLs via the internet for other AFOLs - be sustainable? 

If you read the document released, that’s not the plan.

Michael and the backers aren’t simply aiming at AFOLs but at a range of people interested in train modelling who are weighing up which gauge track system to go with. 

To be a valid and competitive choice in that space, L-gauge track needs an expanded geometry and improved power and control systems. That’s what the plan is intended to provide.

I was absent for a while and read THIS thread here first upon returning. And I have to admit that I am stunned.

Best luck to you FXBricks, I hope this one get's realized. I would desperately need some more 9V train track in the right dimensions / diameters and also the smaller sizes for the straights come in handy.
Just don't forget your fellow trainheads beyond the great pond! :pir-blush:

PS: New curve radii and straight lengths are definitely my first priority. Second would be switches. And the rest comes in third place. But hey, whatever you can throw at me at any kind of order, I'll be happy anyways.

Edited by Capparezza

On 6/30/2019 at 4:01 PM, Matt Dawson said:

This is what I personally have seen at least here in the states.  Every lego show I have been to almost every layout is running 9v track (my own lug included) now some layouts mix media but the big layouts are still mostly 9v track (even if running pf trains).  There are even small museums around here with little lego layouts where you push a button and the train runs (on 9v track).  Plus your thinking small picture.  If 9v track was availible in more than r40 ... More realistic and less "toy like" ... Than it could open up options in the scale train as L guage is similar to O if built to 8w.

Will they get rich off 9v alone? No but I think theres a market for aftermarket 9v control.

6 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

This is what I personally have seen at least here in the states.  Every lego show I have been to almost every layout is running 9v track (my own lug included) now some layouts mix media but the big layouts are still mostly 9v track (even if running pf trains).  There are even small museums around here with little lego layouts where you push a button and the train runs (on 9v track). 

Even Lego Group’s brand new layout in LEGO House of Billund runs on 9V track. I was stunned when I realized that a couple of weeks ago.

4 hours ago, Henry 991 said:

Even Lego Group’s brand new layout in LEGO House of Billund runs on 9V track. I was stunned when I realized that a couple of weeks ago.

I can fully understand that, it's the only way how to continuously have that thing run.

Last year at Legoworld the TLC-employees had to change & charge batteries all the time just to keep their own displays and events running. Was pretty sad to see. At that's 'only' a 8 day event. 

But yeah, I'm eager to see what FX Bricks come up with. Even though I'm quite sceptical that it would work if they don't immediately release some kind of motor or power pickup as well. There just isn't enough people anymore that have working 9V motors. And since it's been discontinued for 12 years (2007 was it's last year, BL says) all people that came into the hobby in those last 12 years (and that's a vast number) might not have any at all. 

Edited by raised

18 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

This is what I personally have seen at least here in the states.  Every lego show I have been to almost every layout is running 9v track (my own lug included) now some layouts mix media but the big layouts are still mostly 9v track (even if running pf trains).

Guess you have not been to any NILTC, PennLUG, TXBRR or LOLUG show (to name a few).  There are many LUGs using BrickTracks R120/R104 curves.

5 hours ago, pirzyk said:

Guess you have not been to any NILTC, PennLUG, TXBRR or LOLUG show (to name a few).  There are many LUGs using BrickTracks R120/R104 curves.

I believe I've only seen NILTC and PennLUG out of those ... And they are extraordinary ... But in retrospect to all the train layouts I've seen the majority have 9v track.  The one neat display was OkiLug (hope I spelled it right if not appologies).  But they had 9v straights with pf curves and used supper capacitors to carry it back around to the powered track.

3 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

I believe I've only seen NILTC and PennLUG out of those ... And they are extraordinary ... But in retrospect to all the train layouts I've seen the majority have 9v track.  The one neat display was OkiLug (hope I spelled it right if not appologies).  But they had 9v straights with pf curves and used supper capacitors to carry it back around to the powered track.

My group (the 8widers in Lowlug) use 9V as well, but only because its esthetically more pleasing. Might be that more LUGs than just us do so just for the looks of it ;)

(on the other hand; our 6 widers DO have a fully functional 9V layout!) 

Edited by raised

On 7/3/2019 at 11:59 AM, Henry 991 said:

That must have been quite an awkward design meeting in Billund - “you want to use WHAT?” 

One of the worst product decisions they ever made was switching from the 9V system to PF & plastic track. Seems there are at least some employees at TLG who still prefer 9v..

17 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

The CincyLUG folks had something like R152 9v track at Brickworld this year...

img_0503.jpg

Same stuff but wider than you can find at BrickTrainDepot

1 hour ago, ElectroDiva said:

One of the worst product decisions they ever made was switching from the 9V system to PF & plastic track. Seems there are at least some employees at TLG who still prefer 9v..

Well, the discovery centers and legoland parks don't even use lego track or motors.

From an AFOL standpoint the transition mostly sucked, but there are some nice things about PF that have emerged. From the perspective of a toy company selling to children it make perfect sense- way cheaper for them to make.

4 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

The CincyLUG folks had something like R152 9v track at Brickworld this year...

I'm still kicking myself for missing out this year ... Family health comes first though.

On 6/30/2019 at 6:16 PM, legotownlinz said:

It can't and it will never happen. It's the result of the excitement created around Brickworld but will be dead as a doornail when creating the first realistic business plan.

Perhaps but Brick Model Railroader hit the 1000 "kits" sold last month and that was just in two-years. (I'm only responsible for .1% of those sales.) While they probably have the lions share of the market, there are several others (Bricktraindepot, Iron Horse Brick, SRW Locomotive works) to add to the over-all sales numbers.  So while we are a niche-hobby, our numbers may be bigger then anyone can guess and they are growing!

Edited by ecmo47

20 hours ago, ecmo47 said:

Perhaps but Brick Model Railroader hit the 1000 "kits" sold last month and that was just in two-years. (I'm only responsible for .1% of those sales.) While they probably have the lions share of the market, there are several others (Bricktraindepot, Iron Horse Brick, SRW Locomotive works) to add to the over-all sales numbers.  So while we are a niche-hobby, our numbers may be bigger then anyone can guess and they are growing!

As far as I can see, they make instructions and decals but nothing related to tracks. Everything they do is 100% compatible with Lego's products.

I appreciate all the work enthusiasts do for the Lego community, but its a hobby, not a business to make a living. Assuming an average price of USD 15 per item, they made USD 15,000 within the last two years.

The only two realistic scenarios we ever get metal tracks are:

• There is a patron that invests several million Dollars without expecting any significant return.
  • A large model railroad company with a good distribution network and enough money for the upfront investments enters the Lego market.

In the meantime, several clubs, trusting in false promises for metal tracks, delay the inevitable migration to plastic tracks for several year and ignore all the products from companies like BrickTracks and TrixBrix that would allow much nicer Lego train layouts.

Edited by legotownlinz

I still use 9V and I see no reason to migrate to plastic rails. I don't ignore trixbrix and ohers but as I have no use for plastic rails I don't buy their Products. The migration to plastic rails is by no means inevitable. If you want to buy them, buy them, I'm waiting for rails I can use with 9V. As you can see 9V isn't dead.

I agree to legotownlinz. For new layouts plastic rails are the only choice, since the production of 9V stuff ended in 2007. This is 12 years ago. The availability drops and the prices are rising.

I for myself came back to LEGO trains in 2015 after decades of dark ages and did not recognize the 9V phase. I miss nothing, even now with bluetooth, sensors and programming. And yes, I know the arguments with limited battery capacity, weak motors and so on, but I'm sure there are and will be a lot of solutions. And I like the new long radius tracks and switches including railyard and triple switches or crossovers ...

To be fair, 9V tracks made by enthusiasts have their value: The shiny rails are beautiful, nobody is forced to migrate and of course the remaining users of old 9V parts like to add other matching parts to their layouts. High prices are justified for theese dedicated purposes. It's a matter of the grade of enthusiasm.

28 minutes ago, Giottist said:

I for myself came back to LEGO trains in 2015 after decades of dark ages and did not recognize the 9V phase. I miss nothing, even now with bluetooth, sensors and programming. And yes, I know the arguments with limited battery capacity, weak motors and so on, but I'm sure there are and will be a lot of solutions. And I like the new long radius tracks and switches including railyard and triple switches or crossovers ...

Funny thing is, PF motors are stronger than 9v train motors basically across the board, and you've got way more options available too. You really haven't missed out on anything!