Ayrlego

AoM: Tower Phase 2: Spring Watchtower

As spring blooms in Mitgardia people the roads and tracks connecting the villages, towns and summer pastures come to live again with bustling traffic. Some people drive their livestock to the higher summer pastures while seasonal traders move amongst the towns and villages. Along the way the local fyrds begin to man both temporary outposts and longer term sturdy wooden watchtowers constructed to watchover the roads during the warmer months. Over time some of the more permanent towers have been decorated by craftsmen serving time in the fyrd so that they now resemble something well beyond the original functional structure constructed. Some even have become local landmarks.   

48084560616_661bc78526_c.jpg

In this example, the militiamen have somewhat neglected trimming the small trees blooming around the tower as the bright blossom makes a pleasant backdrop for their duty. The tower remains functional however, offering a clear view of the road and surroundings.

After almost six months away from my bricks I'm very excited to be back, although it very frustratingly took me several days of 'building' block to finally start something I was happy with! I've been wanting to start with some castle building and this years Summer Joust categories provided some great motivation! A wooden AoM tower seemed like a good opportunity for this years no bley category and I've wanted been wanting to experiment with some brighter foliage for a while (the weird green colour leaves are Alt Bricks). Although I was more than a little tempted to go back to an autumn scheme that I've used before, in the end I gave into the desire to use colour and this is a compromise between my desire to go wild and my compulsion to keep the vegetation somewhat realistic!!! Hopefully it works...! Anyway it's great to be back building again!

Great job on the colors and the shapes of your foliage, it looks very organic. I think I speak for everyone when I say we're all excited to have you back and building!

Lovely spring color you've achieved with the trees there!  I don't know what it is but the transition from pink to lavender to a light green on the other side of the tower makes the whole MOC flow color-wise.  My favorite part is probably the arch over the door though, very Mitgardian!

What a brilliant build!  The level of detail you present in all your builds while still making them seem clean is awesome.  You have a great sense of light for the photography, too, which really makes the builds stand out.  Are those minty green leaves Lego or Altbricks?  I don't remember seeing them in that color before, but maybe Friends or Elves had them, I don't really recall.  I love the arch over the door (I know it's been done before, but it looks good), and the combination of colors around it really evoke springtime to me.  What a brilliant idea for all the new growth.  Outstanding, and glad to see you back again!

Very nicely done, Ayrlego, the unusual tree colors look great, and I'm loving that arch at the entryway! :wub:  Those stickered (printed?) parts look perfect here as well! :thumbup:

Great composition and colours in this one, and very fitting use of the (I’m assuming) broken tiles for parts of the roof :sweet: :thumbup: . Great to see some new stuff from you! 

So much to like in the your build!

First is the presentation! So good lightning and photos!

The wooden tower pops out from other towers as they often are build by stone. 

The trees, just loove the trees! The organic look and colours you have choosed is just my favourite detail! 

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome back and your kind comments on the MOC.

On 6/19/2019 at 11:49 AM, Grover said:

Are those minty green leaves Lego or Altbricks?

They are Alt Bricks, I think the colour is called 'Fairway Mist'

On 6/20/2019 at 6:04 AM, Garmadon said:

Those stickered (printed?) parts look perfect here as well! :thumbup:

Thanks Garm, the stickered parts are from the chairs in the Council of Elrond set.

On 6/22/2019 at 4:34 PM, adde51 said:

(I’m assuming) broken tiles for parts of the roof

Yeah, I have quite a few broken brown tiles that I save for occasions like this - waste not want not!

Wonderful use of the flowers still on sprue tree design :wub: The other two trees are excellent as well and match the landscape colors nicely.
The log bricks and grill bricks in the tower give a lovely carved wood effect too :thumbup: