This lego GBC module uses three cardan gear mechanisms to rotate the platforms that the balls sit on. It is a reliable module when you have the timing between the loading and unloading mechanisms aligned right. The long technic axle you can see running through the front of the module is how it shares power between it and other modules. I am trying to make all my new modules able to share power in this way, as this way I only need one motor for every 4 to 5 modules. If you wan to build this module I have instructions on Rebrickable. More photos on Flickr.

Lego GBC Cardan Gear Module

The mechanism to load the balls is quite simple, although it is not the most smooth. I would like to change the mechanism to something easier on the parts, maybe by making the main stepper tall enough to let the balls roll straight on.

Lego GBC Cardan Gear Module

The unloading mechanism is inspired by Akiyuki's mechanism, although it is not exactly the same. This version uses the 2L rubber technic beams instead of rubber bands, and holds two balls instead on one.

Great work! Love the mechanisms involved!

This is going on the "To Build" list.

Edited by Ankoku

Wow - just wow.  This is absolutely mesmerizing.  It took me quite a while to understand what is happening, and I'm still not sure I quite have it!

Would it possible to extend this idea further, so that the two mini-turntables have four positions, say, and the balls stay on the them for several more steps?

This is awesome! I love the complex mechanisms. I am sure I will build this gear monster some day. 

Edited by Frequenzberater

9 hours ago, aeh5040 said:

Wow - just wow.  This is absolutely mesmerizing.  It took me quite a while to understand what is happening, and I'm still not sure I quite have it!

Would it possible to extend this idea further, so that the two mini-turntables have four positions, say, and the balls stay on the them for several more steps?

Thanks! I think that it could be possible. Maybe by having it load and unload one ball at a time and only rotate by 90 degrees instead of 180 degrees.

2 hours ago, Frequenzberater said:

This is awesome! I love the complex mechanisms. I am sure I will build this gear monster some day. 

Thank you! I think that it will be quite challenging but fun to build.

On 6/18/2019 at 4:17 PM, Ankoku said:

Thanks! I hope you enjoy it.

It is definitely your best module so far.  I like it and think about building it.

Allow me just one recommendation. Your modules are wonderful and it is just pity that you do not use the standard GBC balls. Yours are a bit larger and there is always a question whether your modules would work with the standard ones. Well, they were rather expensive on Bricklink in the past, but recently you can buy them directly from Lego.com

https://www.lego.com/en-us/service/replacementparts/sale

id 72824

Currently the price is USD 0.63, You can order how many you need and the shipping cost is low.

On 6/18/2019 at 6:17 AM, Ankoku said:

+1

1 hour ago, Jonas said:

It is definitely your best module so far.  I like it and think about building it.

Allow me just one recommendation. Your modules are wonderful and it is just pity that you do not use the standard GBC balls. Yours are a bit larger and there is always a question whether your modules would work with the standard ones. Well, they were rather expensive on Bricklink in the past, but recently you can buy them directly from Lego.com

https://www.lego.com/en-us/service/replacementparts/sale

id 72824

Currently the price is USD 0.63, You can order how many you need and the shipping cost is low.

Thanks! I am planning to get some proper GBC balls soon, hopefully in the next few months.

9 minutes ago, sawyer klegr said:

Thanks! I am planning to get some proper GBC balls soon, hopefully in the next few months.

I would hurry if you want to buy the balls from TLG, only orange available and maximum of 115 in one order.

Last time I looked, they had both sets of white and orange available. Shows how quickly they sell out.

Am hoping, with the new pattern design, they may keep more in stock for a while.

These are the design IDs:

White has:

6261261 & 6018511

Orange has:

6261264 & 6023209

If you go to Bits & Pieces at the LEGO site and look at the large images for those parts, you can see the different patterning.

23 hours ago, Berthil said:

I would hurry if you want to buy the balls from TLG, only orange available and maximum of 115 in one order.

Do you know if they are still molding more of them?

27 minutes ago, sawyer klegr said:

Do you know if they are still molding more of them?

I don't know. I would buy now before Bricklink Lego sellers buy them all and put them for double the money in their shop.

They do keep coming back into stock. That said, the time between out of stock, and in, can be quite large.

I think lego might have realized that GBC builders are buying them all. They have limited it to 25 per order and give a message that you can't buy more than that if you try to add more.

i guess thats a good thing that they have realized that the gbc guys are buying them all so they wont stop producing them. the 25 per order limit is kinda bad but hey just make multiple orders if you need more

XG BC

1 hour ago, XG BC said:

i guess thats a good thing that they have realized that the gbc guys are buying them all so they wont stop producing them. the 25 per order limit is kinda bad but hey just make multiple orders if you need more

Multiple orders mean multple postage !!!

Lego should get into GBC and make some starter kits

GBC seems to be becoming a very frequent topic this days in all its forms i.e stand alone modules, GBC loops & Trains etc
Perhaps its time for a seperate forum for Great Ball Contraptions. Let the debate begin !!

Re balls - I have used PV Production balls and they work OK with all my GBC modules. 

Only thing is the high postage but you can buy in mulitples of 50 pce.

PV Productions 50 orange balls = Euro 13.95 + 9.95 p&p = 0.921 card card fee = Euro 24.81

Lego balls @ £0.58 each so 50 balls plus £2.00 postage to UK = £31.00

Re 25 ball limit from Lego, two version of the orange balls so you can actually order 50 in one go.
Edited by Doug72

Yeah, considering that GBC is a big attraction at every LEGO event, you feel as though LEGO could make life a little easier for the GBC hobbyist, rather than just the exhibitioner.

A very long time ago, someone added a CUUSSO thing, which was 15 soccer balls and 15 basket balls. e.g. the original ones with black highlights. Obviously, it failed epically, but it was a nice idea. Being a set, it could be done at a more reasonable price point. e.g. 60+p a ball is a tad insane.

It is never going to be a big seller, but it would make LEGO's life easier in regards to Bricks & Pieces and it would help out the fans a lot. Just have an entry on Pick a Brick or on the LEGO shop website, where you can buy X amount of 30 balls.

The main thing I dislike about 3rd party balls, is that most of them tend to be either shiny or perfectly smooth. It is the matt patterned LEGO balls which I prefer and obviously, people prefer to get actually LEGO stuff where possible.

Obviously CUUSOO is no longer around I don't think everything got transferred over to Ideas.

Here is evidence of it from 2012:

https://yiharuablog.wordpress.com/2012/01/08/gbc-balls-reedition/

Edited by Ankoku

9 hours ago, Doug72 said:

Multiple orders mean multple postage !!!

Lego should get into GBC and make some starter kits

GBC seems to be becoming a very frequent topic this days in all its forms i.e stand alone modules, GBC loops & Trains etc
Perhaps its time for a seperate forum for Great Ball Contraptions. Let the debate begin !!

Re balls - I have used PV Production balls and they work OK with all my GBC modules. 

Only thing is the high postage but you can buy in mulitples of 50 pce.

PV Productions 50 orange balls = Euro 13.95 + 9.95 p&p = 0.921 card card fee = Euro 24.81

Lego balls @ £0.58 each so 50 balls plus £2.00 postage to UK = £31.00

Re 25 ball limit from Lego, two version of the orange balls so you can actually order 50 in one go.

I live live in New Zealand so I get destroyed on the shipping rates. Buying 25 GBC balls cost $0.98 each but shipping for 25 will cost me $20.00. (Getting 100 balls would cost $80 in shipping)

Edited by sawyer klegr

Hopefully they will start shipping from China before too long.

Would be so nice to just buy X boxes of 30 or 50 or whatever it is of the old style balls.

That said, I am just glad they still make the balls in some form or another and they are sold on B&Ps. Just imagine if they didn't and it was like the buying the headlight cups.

let's just all move to billund denmark where the shipping costs should be lowest :wink:.

I think they should really bring out a line of gbc modules with simple mechanisms like a stepper or a tipping ramp.

XG BC