Digger of Bricks

LEGO City 2020 - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

54 minutes ago, Powered by Bricks said:

@toopizza13 any more information of the new d2c set ?

My brother has worked on it, but i dont know, it is confidential, my brother wont tell me. (he crops and uploads images for the website) ive asked about 2021 as-well because he has acess to the images, but if he shares anything he will get in big trouble.

2 hours ago, Brandon Pea said:

@MAB You bring up valid points. But tbh, those other City themes don't really sell like police do. Even though I work with public transport, I even have to admit that I would probably be one of the very few to have loved a set like 8404 or 60154 as a child. Fire sets don't sell as well as police obviously as they don't really get as much clout as police. So...i mean....whats really the point in doing those other City topics if they don't sell. In this day in time, sells and numbers are what Lego is about now. City is not a theme that's for the fandom and by the fandom like it was back during the "HEY" generation. 

Also, the fandom's argument isn't really whether the police sets are there or not. Its really the fact that Lego releases a substantial amount every year with them taking up the majority of space in the theme. If you kick the sets that don't sell out of the house and give the one that does sell (Police) its own theme then everyone wins. The AFOLs win because they won't winge anymore and the KFOLs (the primary market) wins because they get to see the sets that they want in an even more straightforward way. 

As for those other City themes you mentioned......don't count on those being dedicated themes under City anytime soon. Great Vehicles and Town are your only hopes for those types of sets. That's just been the reality of City since 2012. You can say things like "If you don't like, simply don't buy!". But if you need to take into account that there have been times when City has went months to years without anything interesting. Therefore....what is there that we CAN buy? Nothing! There will be entire waves that we'll be passing up and our table towns will go a while without evolving whether its new vehicles or new buildings. 

You can also say...."You don't know what kind of limitations the designers of City are under!". That could mean various things. Like I said in a previous statement, their limitations may be that they can only afford to specialize in repetition for a year or two and do only the sets that sell. They may not be able to start a new theme for City.....as much as I would like public transport to get its own dedicated City subtheme instead of being regulated to the Town/Great Vehicles subtheme. But I'm not counting on it happening. Matter of fact, as far as non-emergency City subthemes go - we've got trains, arctic, miners, turbo wheels, divers and space. Limitations could also mean that the higher ups don't approve. You can do all the tests you want. If the higher ups who are above the designers say no.....it ain't happenin'. 

Personally, I think the designers of City does focus too much on police. I can also say the same thing about action outside of the city (i.e Space, Miners, Arctic, Divers, Volcano, Jungle, etc). But it obviously sells or else City wouldn't put other topics aside to focus on those more. 

I understand what youre saying, but lego is a company, so they are going to keep making these police sets because they are making money.

9 minutes ago, Powered by Bricks said:

I was on a site called Brickmerge and it Said that the set 60271 (the d2c set) Will be revealed today

can i have a link please?

i looked on brickmerge on their page for 60271 and i didnt see anything like that.

35 minutes ago, toopizza13 said:

I understand what youre saying, but lego is a company, so they are going to keep making these police sets because they are making money.

I know they make money. That's why a few months back, I recommended that they go back to three year status for police stations. Like they did during the late 2000s. Don't kill them off completely like most people want them to do. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

1 hour ago, Powered by Bricks said:

I was on a site called Brickmerge and it Said that the set 60271 (the d2c set) Will be revealed today

I do not see it says that the set will be released today (13 July), only that it will be released this year. The information is updated today.

14 minutes ago, LAKAbricks said:

I do not see it says that the set will be released today (13 July), only that it will be released this year. The information is updated today.

It used to say 13 July, but now it says 14 July. It's only site that says so as far as I know though.

2 minutes ago, Salix said:

It used to say 13 July, but now it says 14 July. It's only site that says so as far as I know though.

It's past midnight (in Germany timezone), 14 July so that date is just automatic generated with the current time until there's an actual update.

Edited by TeriXeri

43 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

It's past midnight (in Germany timezone), 14 July so that date is just automatic generated with the current time until there's an actual update.

That's what I thought as well. :P

On 7/12/2020 at 10:14 PM, The Reader said:

@Salix Thanks for your reply, but I'd like to see it in a real shop. Costs for S&H are too high to buy it online.

I bought mine in Smyths Toys in Switzerland.

On 7/14/2020 at 11:44 AM, Marinho said:

I bought mine in Smyths Toys in Switzerland.

Thanks a lot for that hint, but unfortunately there is no Smyths Shop near me. Well, I will wait ...

Ok, sets that apparently will be end-of-life at the end of 2020.

Article says it's not guaranteed so things could change.

https://www.stonewars.de/news/lego-end-of-life-eol-2020/#lego-city

The main thing that gets my attention are the possibly retiring of the road plates.

I know the same ones have been around since 2005 , 7280-1: Straight & Crossroad Plates7281-1: T-Junction & Curved Road Plates were sold until the end of 2018.

2019 repacked them in a different configuration , 60236-1: Straight & T-Junction  + 60237-1: Curves & Crossroad

Now, the question is what will happen next if they end up retiring.

Personally I hope they'll do either 2 things :

Sell road plates as 2-packs of the same (2 straight , 2 curve, 2 T-Junction , 2 Crossroad) like the old days.

Or make entirely new design and still sell them as 2-packs as well.

I know many people will not like a change of road plates as they already got big layouts, but LEGO has changed their road plates multiple times before, I think after 16 years in 2021, something new might be nice.

But just like Train Tracks, not much might change and they just get a new set number instead.

Edited by TeriXeri

16 minutes ago, ks6349 said:

What is going to be released in August 2020??

60272-1: Elite Police Boat Transport €20

60272-1.jpg?202007021049

60273-1: Elite Police Driller Chase  €20

60273-1.jpg?202007021047

60274-1: Elite Police Lighthouse Capture  €20

60274-1.jpg?202007021048

14 minutes ago, ks6349 said:

What is going to be released in August 2020??

For the city theme, they will release the 3 new elite Police sets (60272,60273 and 60274) and probably the rumored Downtown set 60271

60268 is confirmed as the Advent Calendar (Stonewars has it listed as 60269 but that's a mistake) so 60269 might not even exist.

Edited by TeriXeri

38 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

60268 is confirmed as the Advent Calendar (Stonewars has it listed as 60269 but that's a mistake) so 60269 might not even exist.

They have to do a 60269. Otherwise, there will be a gap. 

Btw, the airport and divers sets are late coming to the states. 

35 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

Gaps do sometimes happen, but I hope you're right, the 2018 and 2019 Advent Calendar numbers were next to a People Pack number, so I hope they'll still make them instead of silently stopping them.

Also gaps can still fill later, which happpened for the September 2019 Ski Resort which filled a gap between 2018 sets.

So the possibility still exists, I do hope for a winter-themed people pack, as the City Advent Calendar (60628) seems pretty bare this year. (pictures can be found in second half of 2020 online catalogs)

Personally, this year I might get the Friends Advent Calendar instead of City, as it does focus on minifig/minidoll builds, after 2 years of being mostly tree-hanger ornaments.

Edited by TeriXeri

7 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

@TeriXeri But what about the airport? That set is late coming here. Last year, we got summer sets in June. What's going on with the factories in North America?

Mexico Factory (the only factory in North/South America) was closed for a while so set production seems behind as far as I've seen (based on the large amount of "Coming Soon" and Out of Stock on the US site)

Even in Europe some larger sets are still on backorders.

Last year there was no Covid.

Edited by TeriXeri

14 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

Mexico Factory (the only factory in North/South America) was closed for a while so set production seems behind as far as I've seen (based on the large amount of "Coming Soon" and Out of Stock on the US site)

Even in Europe some larger sets are still on backorders.

Last year there was no Covid.

Well Mayor Peas is getting inpatient. An airport is needed for Poodaville. Guess he'll have to find one on eBay! 

Btw, I wonder when they are going to bring Fireman Bob and Buster Lloyd from LCA into Lego sets! I hope its next year. 

14 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

60272-1: Elite Police Boat Transport €20

60272-1.jpg?202007021049

60273-1: Elite Police Driller Chase  €20

60273-1.jpg?202007021047

60274-1: Elite Police Lighthouse Capture  €20

60274-1.jpg?202007021048

Disappointing sets. But I will probably get only 60274 when it's on deal. I won't get it when it is Euro 20. I am confident that it will hit below Euro 10 then I will get it

I really don't understand when Lego is releasing so many sets now every year of different themes and topics why they just don't release a nice-looking police station like set 6398?? Even one is good. Even one is enough for me to add to my brick city. Police stations of recent years are so bad

Edited by ks6349

15 hours ago, Brandon Pea said:

Btw, the airport and divers sets are late coming to the states. 

I think that the set number 60269 will be a people pack and the set number 60259 will be a set like the ski resort