Digger of Bricks

LEGO City 2020 - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

38 minutes ago, ks6349 said:

???? stolen from my door step and just buy them????

It's something that can happen with Amazon deliveries left on doorsteps. Remember, in the real world thieves don't wear stripy uniforms!

So far, I've bought two of the new wave. The first was 60248 Fire Helicopter Response. I wanted to try the flying helicopter, and I've always preferred fire to police (also, it was the cheaper set). The helicopter is minifig compatible, but completely studless, and I can't see a way to reuse the canopy. It lacks firefighting gear, and cannot be modified. 

It can, however, fly. To be more precise, it will take off, though I've found it only really works if I mount and pull the cord from the left. It then spins out and lands hard, but usually upright. I assume these hard landings are the reason it doesn't have any standard lego connections. 

The second one was 60255 Stunt Show. I thought it would be a nice addition to the Duke Caboom set I actually bought in Canada.

caboom03.jpg

1 hour ago, pooda said:

@ks6349 What @Bornin1980something said. 

2021 Police subtheme idea.....

MAIL POLICE!!!!!!!

In all seriousness though, that would actually be interesting. Seeing Duke DeTain catching package thieves. 

Did you mean they steal bricks inside and repack the Lego??

19 hours ago, Bornin1980something said:

It can, however, fly. To be more precise, it will take off, though I've found it only really works if I mount and pull the cord from the left. It then spins out and lands hard, but usually upright. I assume these hard landings are the reason it doesn't have any standard lego connections. 

Oh! So it can fly. I'll consider that one and the police helicopter transport. But tbh, I think I'll stick with the helicopter from the helicopter chase. I have gained a streak of collecting the big helicopters for my town's first responders (that includes the coast guard). So I'll stick to that. The fire station now has a fire plane to complement it. I also have the heavy duty coast guard chopper and ambulance helicopter. 

19 hours ago, Bornin1980something said:

The second one was 60255 Stunt Show. I thought it would be a nice addition to the Duke Caboom set I actually bought in Canada.

I've got that one too. The stunt team and the street racers from the tuning workshop are supposed to be an illegal street racing gang. 

19 hours ago, ks6349 said:

Did you mean they steal bricks inside and repack the Lego??

More than that. Mail truck thefts, post office heists and package thefts. You know? Something new other than just gold and money stealing. 

Edited by pooda

You know what would really surprise me? 

If the In/Out sets aren't even a subtheme at all. It would really shock me if it were just more town sets other than just the usual three we get. 

9 hours ago, koalayummies said:

The street sweeper is fun. The brushes actually rotate when you push it.

That's amazing! I'm actually planning on picking the street sweeper up. Its actually a nice little vehicle to have in your city. 

Edited by pooda

Any rumors or sets names of summer 2020 line for city at this moment? And can we get it in London Toy Fair soon? Thanks.

3 hours ago, AlaPo said:

Any rumors or sets names of summer 2020 line for city at this moment? 

There aren't any just yet. 2020 just started so I'm giving it some time until at least March or April.

3 hours ago, AlaPo said:

Any rumors or sets names of summer 2020 line for city at this moment? And can we get it in London Toy Fair soon? Thanks.

In years past there wouldn't be any pictures but we would get set names for the summer. However LEGO is now so paranoid they don't always show sets 4-6 months later, just whats out or will be out soon.

So who knows what LEGO will give us.

Seeing those new chassis pieces surprised me for that Race Car set (also in 4 other City 2020 sets).

Seems to signal that 6 wide is here to stay for City which isn't a bad thing with good designs.

Those cars have 4 studs in-between the wheels with the default wheels/arches used, the older 6-wide Speed Champions mostly had 5-6 studs inbetween the slightly larger wheels (that also use technic pins so can't be used here)

As long as not 100% of vehicles are the using the same piece I think having a piece like this isn't too bad. 

Talking about this piece

Reminds me of a larger version of this , which is still in use in 2020 City, from all the way back in 1987 Town.

Now if 4+ would use that new piece instead of this, that'd be great (AFOL point of view) but I doubt that'll happen :shrug_oh_well:

Edited by TeriXeri

Oh well, it appears the mail plane and street sweeper will be supermarket only sets great full price at Coles or Woolworths 

57 minutes ago, lightningtiger said:

Oh well, it appears the mail plane and street sweeper will be supermarket only sets great full price at Coles or Woolworths 

I saw the street sweeper at the Lego store. 

10 hours ago, lightningtiger said:

i saw it at target, walmart, its inthe lego employee store as - well.

43 minutes ago, toopizza13 said:

i saw it at target, walmart, its inthe lego employee store as - well.

Considering how well City sets sell, I doubt they'll make certain ones exclusives. Unless its something similar to that Toys R Us set. 

That particular exclusivity is only in Australia (its exclusive to supermarkets like Coles and Woolworths in Australia, what happens elsewhere I have no idea)

4 hours ago, jonwil said:

That particular exclusivity is only in Australia (its exclusive to supermarkets like Coles and Woolworths in Australia, what happens elsewhere I have no idea)

It's on Big W's website: https://www.bigw.com.au/product/lego-city-street-sweeper-60249/p/80218/

So, I think all Aussie Lego City streets will be clean as everyone should be able to find a street sweeper.

On 1/9/2020 at 12:55 AM, TeriXeri said:

Seeing those new chassis pieces surprised me for that Race Car set (also in 4 other City 2020 sets).

Seems to signal that 6 wide is here to stay for City which isn't a bad thing with good designs.

Those cars have 4 studs in-between the wheels with the default wheels/arches used, the older 6-wide Speed Champions mostly had 5-6 studs inbetween the slightly larger wheels (that also use technic pins so can't be used here)

As long as not 100% of vehicles are the using the same piece I think having a piece like this isn't too bad. 

Talking about this piece

Reminds me of a larger version of this , which is still in use in 2020 City, from all the way back in 1987 Town.

Now if 4+ would use that new piece instead of this, that'd be great (AFOL point of view) but I doubt that'll happen :shrug_oh_well:

I've just acquired my third new set of this wave; 60242 Police chase. Both vehicles use the new 6x10 chassis. I've only assembled one so far, Duke De'Tain's Mustang. It's a great build, much like an old 6-wide Speed Champions car, but simpler and much smaller, lower than a stood minifig, or many Classic Town cars. 

nuchas02.jpg

The new chassis is good. Like the other two you depicted, it cannot be exactly recreated using existing components. While some argue that such a fixed chassis will stifle creativity, I think this one will do the opposite. Give a kid this, a wheel, and three other wheels (plus the rest of their collection!), and they have the basis of an awesome custom car. So far, the vehicles using it range from an open-top supercar to a very tall VW surf van, and no two are exactly alike. We will see many more over the coming years, though I do to see some more of this Mustang type design. That said, it will never match the versatility of the 1987 design 4x7. That chassis can fit into many scenarios, like the theft of mail order Lego!

nuchas01.jpg

Yeah I don't mind this new plate chassis myself.

LEGO also made a lot of those wheel colors recently : 

https://brickset.com/parts/design-11208

6268401 (Warm Gold) new in 2019 in Land Bounty, but new in City in 2020.

6289310 (Dark Azure) new in 2020

6288175  (Black) Only in 1 2014 set before, now back in 1 2020 set. (Police car shown above)

6218226 (Silver) still relatively new since 2018.

6029209(Light Bluish Grey) used the most in the past.

Edited by TeriXeri

Personally, I'd like to see City go back to the way it was from 2006 to 2009. Those were the best four years of my natural Lego life! That's back when I was a teenager who worked part time and would get almost every set on the list........because there were no sets that felt repetitive. Now I can only buy if its reasonable because for the most part, Lego City has gone from being a bustling city full of plenty of different industries to choose from (2006-2009) to (in my personal opinion) boredom. Yes there were emergency sets in 2006 to 2009. But they weren't as prominent. There was a balance in the waves and not so much repetition. That's why I push for City to go back to a similar system that they used from 2006 to 2009 - which was also a pretty successful time period. 2006 to 2009 was the generation of surprises for City. Who would've thought that we'd see an entire subtheme dedicated to the auto industry in 2009? Heck, when they brought a farm subtheme in 2009, that surprised me. 

2020 however seems to be a great start to a better Lego City. They seem to be abandoning the repetition as there aren't a lot of police sets this year and to be honest, most of them seem to be really easy to ignore as most of the attention seem to be on the brick box and the turbo wheels collection <<<< which the latter, I'm still raving over. I'm assuming that management for the design team for City changed prior to 2020. Welp! We'll have to see what 2021 brings. 

Edited by pooda