Digger of Bricks

LEGO City 2020 - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

4 minutes ago, Powered by Bricks said:

@Brandon Pea I want a elite Police headquarters too, in 2013 Lego didn't made a base for elite Police and we don't know if they Will release a new One this year.

We have to wait for more information.

Who needs a headquarters? Let's do a prisoners hideout instead. 

I think Lego felt it pointless to do an elite police headquarters as the elite police are based in the city and they could just take the prisoners back to the city jail. In this shot, that's what they're seen doing. 

012.jpg

9 hours ago, Powered by Bricks said:

A site called Brickfinder revealed oficially the 3 new summer Police sets ,all the sets have the same price of 20 euros 

The first set 60272 is called "elite Police boat Transporter 

The second set 60273 is called "elite Police chase drill

And finally the set number 60274 is called "elite Police Lighthouse boarding

The site even don t reveal imagens of the big d2c set but he Will be revealed soon.

Now pics available on brickset

https://brickset.com/article/52153/three-new-august-city-sets-revealed!

I find them very ugly

The 60272 remembers me this

Sluban-Police-Headquarters-(492-PCS)?loc

28 minutes ago, Bornin1980something said:

At least they don't have green windows!

Ugh tell me about it. Lego was in trouble around that time. I see why. 

On 6/25/2020 at 4:11 AM, Salix said:

There's no US factory. There are only LEGO factories in Mexico, Denmark, Czechia, Hungary, and China.

That's awful. There needs to be one in the states. The US is one of Lego's biggest markets. They should be one of the prioritized regions for new sets. 

Well, the police sets look meh... as usual. I think that Museum wave was the last one that wasn't meh for me. As a matter of fact, I bought that Museum set. 

-----------

Can't wait to read what media will say about this sets:

"Poor Clara is being harassed by that evil policeman"

"Evil police dude is stealing Hank's gold bars"

"Brave Vitto is trying to protect that poor Shark from that evil policewoman"

46 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

That's awful. There needs to be one in the states. The US is one of Lego's biggest markets. They should be one of the prioritized regions for new sets. 

I disagree, all regions should get all sets at the same time and also a big NO to regional exclusives. As for factory location, does it really matter that the factory is in Mexico and not the US? If it wasn't for the current pandemic you'd've never noticed.

11 minutes ago, Salix said:

I disagree, all regions should get all sets at the same time and also a big NO to regional exclusives.

That's even better. 

But I only said what I said because there have been times when places like Europe got certain sets before we in North America did. The summer City 2020 airport is on sale in Europe and Britain right now. 

41 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Can't wait to read what media will say about this sets:

"Poor Clara is being harassed by that evil policeman"

"Evil police dude is stealing Hank's gold bars"

"Brave Vitto is trying to protect that poor Shark from that evil policewoman"

LOL

Edited by Brandon Pea

2 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

That's even better. 

But I only said what I said because there have been times when places like Europe got certain sets before we in North America did. The summer City 2020 airport is on sale in Europe and Britain right now. 

True, Europe got City and Harry Potter first this year. The US got the Marvel sets first this year. :/

EDIT: I read somewhere else that LEGO rotates this system, so that sometimes Europe gets certain sets first and the following year North America gets certain sets first.

Edited by Salix

11 hours ago, Brandon Pea said:

I think it has to do with operating costs and wages, nothing to do with priority, most sets from that Mexico factory will still end up in the US.

Just like many clothes bought in the US or Europe are made in Asia or Central America, or many electronics are made in Asia as well.

Here's an article about the LEGO factories and plans for expansion :

https://www.lego.com/en-us/aboutus/news/2019/november/factory-expansion/

Edited by TeriXeri

41 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

most sets from that Mexico factory will still end up in the US.

If so....when? I'm still waiting for the Divers sets to come out. 

Just now, Brandon Pea said:

If so....when? I'm still waiting for the Divers sets to come out. 

All I can say is I hope it releases soon for everyone.

But I don't know if those sets were to release in August in the US or not.

2 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

But I don't know if those sets were to release in August in the US or not.

Summer sets usually release in the US around this time. Maybe it's just that I haven't been to a Lego store. I think I better go to a Lego store  

7 hours ago, Brandon Pea said:

Summer sets usually release in the US around this time. Maybe it's just that I haven't been to a Lego store. I think I better go to a Lego store  

According to the US LEGO shop @ home website the sets in the summer City wave are listed as "Coming soon" which could mean 1 July or 1 August (or something else).

Edited by Salix

1 hour ago, Brandon Pea said:

@Salix Speaking of the US site, it still has the 2017 mobile command center on the available now side. 

The Dutch one also still has that set.

1 hour ago, Salix said:

The Dutch one also still has that set.

Yeah! I'm wondering if its a mistake or are they really still producing that set. 

50 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

Yeah! I'm wondering if its a mistake or are they really still producing that set. 

Perhaps it wasn't as popular and they still have a lot of them left?

16 minutes ago, Salix said:

Perhaps it wasn't as popular and they still have a lot of them left?

Maybe not as popular as they had hoped. 

On 6/29/2020 at 4:06 PM, Salix said:

True, Europe got City and Harry Potter first this year. The US got the Marvel sets first this year. :/

EDIT: I read somewhere else that LEGO rotates this system, so that sometimes Europe gets certain sets first and the following year North America gets certain sets first.

I've certainly read somewhere, from someone at TLG, that Licenced products are more popular in the American market, original themes more popular in Europe. 

elite police and the air race are on the website. these sets are coming out september 1st, but the other sets still just say coming soon, so maybe they will come out in august or september?

On 6/30/2020 at 12:59 PM, Brandon Pea said:

@Salix Speaking of the US site, it still has the 2017 mobile command center on the available now side

It seems to sell well, I was surprised to see such an early set number on shelves at the store last week, and the production number on the box indicated these were still produced in 2020. It's more popular than expected...

5 minutes ago, Evans said:

It seems to sell well, I was surprised to see such an early set number on shelves at the store last week, and the production number on the box indicated these were still produced in 2020. It's more popular than expected...

Yeah if it sells and is still produced, no reason to make another one yet, from 2008 a Mobile command centre has been sold basicly non stop, with 2011 , 2014, and 2017 updating the set after a 3 year run.

Wouldn't surprise me to see a new one in 2021 tho, Dark Blue color scheme could set it apart from the others.

Edited by TeriXeri

Regarding the new police sets; I am rather ashamed to admit this, but I think they all have something going for them. 60272 is probably the weakest. The main reason I say this is because I believe the police boat should really include diving gear, and an officer in a wetsuit/drysuit. I mean, the crook has a good speedboat, but what if it crashes into the rocks? And what if a crook acquires one of the new submarines? Or one of the new planes crashes into the lake? On water, you need police divers. The 4x4 is actually quite a good design, and I like the use of the tooth piece as the radiator grill.

The ridiculous looking drilling vehicle in 60273 may actually be a reference to the real Hatton Garden heist in 2017, when six old man managed to drill their way into an underground vault. That said, the drill they actually used was small enough to be portable! The police cruiser looks like a good use of the new chassis piece. The roofing piece used for the bonnets of both vehicles should make adding engine detail (a trademark of mine) easier.

60273 has some reassuring features, most notably, a buildable small helicopter! As for the criminal, while I don't like the implied Italian stereotyping, his costume is certainly a leap forward, as it clearly isn't a prison uniform! True, there are still some subtle stripes, but the main thing marking out as a criminal is his mask. I'm still not entirely satisfied; I still think kids need to be taught that criminals do not look like criminals! But I think the double sided head, with a mask on one side, is a much better compromise than blatant criminal uniforms. I hope this is the beginning of the end of the grey and white stripes (except for sets with prison cells).

All that said, though – talk about bad timing! It might have been an idea to hold these off until next year, but I suspect most of them are already produced. So far, TLG has produced the best motorsports sets in a year with almost no motorsport, and finally cracked the secret of making a good plane for 4+ range in a year without flying. But that's nothing compared to the tension that now surrounds the police. What, in any case, does 'Elite Police actually mean in this context? The distinguishing features I've seen in these new sets are the helmets, nightvision goggles, and the pocketed vests, all of which look worryingly line of the products of armed units. This might not have been such a good idea originally. Also, the show they are based on, Lego City Adventures, shows a rather Americanised picture of the police, and indeed everything. I wish Lego could be European again!

That said, I admit I did buy three of the sky police sets, even though I was well aware that, if we are honest, they were a fighter, a jet trainer, and a helicopter gunship (though I did want an anti-drone aircraft after an incident at Gatwick).

In other, lighter news, a worker at a recently reopened fish and chip shop appears to have gone delusional from lockdown, and now swears he's Elvis.

bornin1980something_chipshop01lores.jpg

@Bornin1980something Yeah! Too much repetition with these darn police sets. Nothing really changes other than the uniforms, their station (the environment in which they work) and vehicle features. 

• 2012 Forest Police - uniforms and different vehicle coloring 
  • 2013 Elite Police - uniforms, different vehicle coloring, new heads and Chase McCain 
  • 2015 Swamp Police - uniforms (really just recolored forest police uniforms), new heads and different vehicle coloring 
  • 2016 Prison Island - uniforms, vehicle coloring and new heads
  • 2018 Mountain Police - uniforms (recoloring of swamp police), different vehicle coloring, new heads and net shooters
  • 2019 Sky Police - uniforms (same as 2017 classic police along with new bullet proof vests) and new crook heads. 
  • 2020 Elite Police - well.....uniforms are the same as the ones from 2013 and the vehicle coloring kinda looks like swamp police 

So yeah! Nothing really all that different. At least by 2018, I was tired of seeing police sets. People on here be like "If you don't like it, don't buy!" But here's the thing....WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO BUY??? It seems like recently, City almost only does vehicles that you don't want. If that's the case, I'll have to pass on some waves. It'll just be a year where I buy absolutely nothing. I only do City because of the vehicles.