Digger of Bricks

LEGO City 2020 - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

9 minutes ago, Powered by Bricks said:

I know the explanation of lego made 2 police sets for this summer. It's because lego maded only 7 sets for the police winter wave,and made two for fire department.

Tbh, 7 was enough for this year! We still have unsold police sets on the shelves from last year - causing them to overlap. The pull cord helicopter from the helicopter transport also has poor reviews. Though the truck seems to be loved. Should've done a full mobile unit like the one from 2017 if you ask me. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

After having had a look into the complete customer catalogue for the second half of 2020 (German version) at

I made following discovery: No single City set is there listed for August or later (even not the two Special Forces sets).

In the last years, we've always getting minimum two civilian sets for regular sale in July or August (2019: Donut Shop Opening + 4+ Gas Station + Fun at the Fairground People Pack, 2018: Hospital + Outdoor Adventures People Pack, 2017: Bus Station + Cargo Terminal + Fun at the Beach People Pack, 2016: Gas Station + Fun in the Park People Pack, 2015: City Square). Since these had been excellent (civilian) sets, I automatically came from that this trend will hold on. It's really bad that there's nothing this summer - at the same time last year I had already built up the donut shop set and the fairground people! :cry_sad:

On 6/8/2020 at 7:16 AM, Lucarex said:

I still kick myself for leaving the last set of the Maersk on a shelf in a LEGO Store back in the day.

Yeah, been there, done that.  when on holiday, about 10 years after the monorail was discontinued, in a little toy shop in Wales, I saw the Monorail Track expansion pack on the shelf, and I walked out, did not buy it as I did not have the monorail at the time.  What a mistake!

Anyway, Maybe because we got 2 people packs last year, we should have got one of them this year, but they pulled it forward for some reason, hence why we don't have one this year?  I hope it's not lost as a annual set as there is so much more opportunity for these people packs.

Edited by paul_delahaye

1 hour ago, Bornin1980something said:

I can't find the GWP hot rod on the UK site anymore. Might it reappear, or should I consider it sold out?

It's also gone on the Dutch S@H site, so I assume it's sold out.

12 hours ago, Robert8 said:

So no people pack set this year??

Not to exclude, but yes, really unlikely since the previous years the people pack was always shown in the summer catalogue and came into regular toy stores at the latest in August.

11 hours ago, Brandon Pea said:

@Klaus-Dieter So no mega set this year. That sucks!  

When we trust what one of our members wrote, then we'll get one. But maybe it's the D2C set 60271 - and a D2C set never shows up in the regular customer catalogue.

Plus there may be one or more sets to come on shelves in regular toy shops firstly in September - like last years amazing Ski Resort which wasn't shown in the 2019 summer customer catalogue, too. So hope for even one or two more sets (apart from the new city square and the two Special Forces sets) is little, but there is some.

6 hours ago, paul_delahaye said:

Anyway, Maybe because we got 2 people packs last year, we should have got one of them this year, but they pulled it forward for some reason, hence why we don't have one this year?  I hope it's not lost as a annual set as there is so much more opportunity for these people packs.

I can't agree more!

With the Airport subtheme this year, a Fun at the Airport People Pack would have made a lot of sense: Imagine a lot of different aged and looking passengers, some old suitcases and some new suitcases, a buggy and a small airport service vehicle - now that would have had been really cool! But I would have liked an allround usuable Fun at Downtown Lego City, too: Imainge many different minifigs here, too, plus a bench, a candy trike, a small tree, some road signs and signals and a buggy - now that would have had been really cool, too! Yeah, so many great possiblites, like you said ...

2 hours ago, Bornin1980something said:

I can't find the GWP hot rod on the UK site anymore. Might it reappear, or should I consider it sold out?

28 minutes ago, Salix said:

It's also gone on the Dutch S@H site, so I assume it's sold out.

Here in Germany it is, too. So I'd assume that it's sold out everywhere, too.

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

16 hours ago, Bornin1980something said:

It's been replaced - for Father's Day - by the black/gold SC Lamborghini polybag that came as GWP with Top Gear magazine last month.

8 hours ago, Lucarex said:

It's been replaced - for Father's Day - by the black/gold SC Lamborghini polybag that came as GWP with Top Gear magazine last month.

The mobile site listed both offers for a while, though the desktop site only listed the hot rod until it disappeared. Now, when you make a purchase, when do you know if a GWP has been added? 

That said, I don't really like the idea of an £85 purchase right now, not when I probably need another tripod. Probably a Bricklink purchase for me. 

11 minutes ago, HereWeGoAgain said:

What are those special forces sets you guys are talking about?

They're supposed to be coming this year. Probably in August. Those are numbers 60273 and 60274. If you go on Instagram and type in #legoleaks and scroll down until you see a drill being chased by a police car. Those are the special forces sets. 

On 6/13/2020 at 12:42 AM, Robert8 said:

So no people pack set this year??

Here’s hoping it’s a winter theme set such as “Fun in the Snow,” so the wait is to coincide with winter !?!?! 

11 minutes ago, SFmuscle73 said:

Here’s hoping it’s a winter theme set such as “Fun in the Snow,” so the wait is to coincide with winter !?!?!

Don't need. But I'd definitely buy for the heads and bodies.

Btw, I like that avatar! It makes me wonder if City will ever do a hazard squad set for City. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

35 minutes ago, SFmuscle73 said:

I hope so.

The 2020 City Advent Calendar isn't focusing on random city people, instead focuses on a few named characters from LEGO City Adventures  and mostly microbuilds, so a Winter people pack would certainly work this year alongside it.

The 2019 September set was the Ski Resort , so a winter set later in the year beside an Advent Calendar happened before.

Edited by TeriXeri

1 hour ago, TeriXeri said:

The 2020 City Advent Calendar isn't focusing on random city people

In my honest opinion, I loved it better when Lego City didn't have named characters. There was Chase McCain, but he was actually good. Overall, when you have so many named characters in a theme that was originally generic, it doesn't feel generic anymore. 

27 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

In my honest opinion, I loved it better when Lego City didn't have named characters. There was Chase McCain, but he was actually good. Overall, when you have so many named characters in a theme that was originally generic, it doesn't feel generic anymore. 

I don't know how long the LEGO City Adventures show is going to last, but repeating the same characters doesn't really make me want City sets more, Duke Detain is the same exact figure in 5 sets.

I know parts can be swapped, so having duplicate figures isn't a disaster, but still in a theme like City I'd rather see as many different people as possible, as City used to be a pretty timeless theme.

At least some slight variation in headprint, a different hairpiece or hat would help as well in the case of Duke Detain. (I believe he's getting a new Torso/Legs in the Advent Calendar tho)

LEGO movie 2 sets had repeat characters but there were subtle differences in head prints, outfits and accesoires.

Maybe kids who watch Nickelodeon a lot like the show/sets, but afaik Nickelodeon isn't even super popular here, and the episodes aren't on Youtube unlike other LEGO shows.

Of course it's not all repeats, LCA does bring unique minifigs to City sets as well, like Snake Rattler, Daisy Kaboom, Poppy Starr, Jessica Sharpe etc. but LEGO has shown they can do unique minfigs regardless of TV shows.

Edited by TeriXeri

1 hour ago, TeriXeri said:

I know parts can be swapped, so having duplicate figures isn't a disaster, but still in a theme like City I'd rather see as many different people as possible, as City used to be a pretty timeless theme.

I have to agree with you there. City was not only a timeless theme, but it wasn't a police state either. Police was on equal footing with every other job in Lego City. That was during the early days of the "HEY" in Lego City commercials which was from 2006 to 2009. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

10 hours ago, Brandon Pea said:

They're supposed to be coming this year. Probably in August. Those are numbers 60273 and 60274. If you go on Instagram and type in #legoleaks and scroll down until you see a drill being chased by a police car. Those are the special forces sets. 

Oh alright thanks, must have missed those leaks :)

Atention !  

Some of lego catalogues of this summer don´t show some sets.

I´ve found the two city sets in the asian version of the catalogue. This catalogue showed some of the new advent calendars, a new avengers set and a new mindstorms set. Even dough the 2 new police sets were revealed by that asian catalogue. So we have to wait for new leaks.that show the new advent calendar.

@Klaus-Dieter in the catalogue version of my country they show the city d2c sets and the people packs, when lego show the version of my country of the new catalogue, I will see if they will release a people pack and the rumored city center set.

Here's a video

Edited by Powered by Bricks

I was looking through an old 1991 catalogue (just bought 6781 Space Police Striker and didn't know the old retail price) and to my astonishment people packs from Pirates, Castle, City... with 5 or 6 minifigs + accessories cost the same as the road baseplates back then. Well, that was a good bargain and easy way to populate the town! Except for the small Starter packs I considered the Peoples packs quite expensive - 40€ and basically no bricks. I suspect there wasn't just enough demand, and I really hope Lego will replace it with something better...

5 hours ago, Powered by Bricks said:

Atention !  

Some of lego catalogues of this summer don´t show some sets.

I´ve found the two city sets in the asian version of the catalogue. This catalogue showed some of the new advent calendars, a new avengers set and a new mindstorms set. Even dough the 2 new police sets were revealed by that asian catalogue. So we have to wait for new leaks.that show the new advent calendar.

@Klaus-Dieter in the catalogue version of my country they show the city d2c sets and the people packs, when lego show the version of my country of the new catalogue, I will see if they will release a people pack and the rumored city center set.

Here's a video

are you saying your catalog shows the d2c set 60271? if it does can you show pics? 

On 6/15/2020 at 12:33 AM, SFmuscle73 said:

Ah, good point here - I didn't think about that. Yes, that could work fine - so let's hope that this will be the case!

9 hours ago, Powered by Bricks said:

If you did this, that would be very nice!

a elite police set has been leaked, 60272 looks like a elite police boat transport car. it has duke detain and clara the criminal. so i guess there is 3 elite police sets coming, either way i like them. what do you guys think? (picture is on #legoleaks on instagram)