Digger of Bricks

LEGO City 2020 - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

After looking at the review of the ocean exploration ship i must say i am very disappointed. I was initially excited when i saw the first pictures about getting a huge city tanker, maybe my expectations were set too high. I expected the hull to be one long piece hence the high price of the set but it turned out to be two halves of the deep sea exploration vessel. Ok i can live with that no problem i understand it may cost more to make an entire new mold BUT and  a big BUT here is, that they are joined in the most lazy fashion i have seen and with just a flap covering the obvious awkward gap between the two halves but the gap at the very bottom is still visible. Then to add insult to injury the entire middle section is just wasted. I understand you need an empty space to drop the shark cage down (the play feature) but there was no need to leave the entire middle with a big gaping hole.

@kermit Dang! This page hasn't been commented on since you commented. Just thought I'd make that observation. 

As far as the Ocean Exploration Ship goes, I'm not even looking at that one as I'm not really interested in it. I'm getting one of the submarines instead. 

I'm still looking to get the Underwater Base, seems like the best set of the bunch, as it's a base, and has a Hammerhead/Ray, and also doubles as a submarine.

Those station parts could even be used for airplane fuselage or a larger submarine MOC, or be combined with the 2019 Space Station for some fun designs.

€60 is a bit much, but I'm sure it'll be €40 at some point.

And while the cheaper Anglerfish set has a decent rock build with crystals and such I don't like the Sub as much, I also like the drone in the Base set more.

I also like those red suited Divers a bit better, as they use unique helmets, while I could use 2019 Space suits as underwater suits as well.

Edited by TeriXeri

I’ve not seen the ship in the brick as it were, but I’m interested in possibly picking one up when it gets discounted, and converting it to a container ship.  Need to figure out how to do that of course.  

22 hours ago, jus1973 said:

I’ve not seen the ship in the brick as it were, but I’m interested in possibly picking one up when it gets discounted, and converting it to a container ship.  Need to figure out how to do that of course.  

I still kick myself for leaving the last set of the Maersk on a shelf in a LEGO Store back in the day.

Saw these sets in the flesh over the weekend - the underwater base is by far the pick, kids want the sub with anglerfish too, and of course, I'll be bricklinking that great white.

On 6/7/2020 at 2:36 AM, TeriXeri said:

I'm still looking to get the Underwater Base, seems like the best set of the bunch

Yeah I think it's pretty good as is, and could be made great with some mods. Some more landscaping for the rather plain base, more sea life and some ruins for the divers to explore and it'll look great. 

It's already about that price in my local currency.

20 hours ago, Lordofdragonss said:

Wait a second...We dont get huge retail exclusive set for underwater theme?

Good, they're often overpriced and don't go on a good sale.

So, I don't know if I'm in the right place, but below I've put down my want list for the rest of 2020/2021, and I would like to start a conversation about the sets.

LEGO Truck: $50: Minifigures: 1 Truck Loader and 1 Truck Driver: Details: The two builds would be the truck itself and a small LEGO store. We haven't gotten a LEGO Truck set in some time, and it's about time we get one.

Snowplow: $25: Minifigures: 1 Snowplow Driver: Details: Just a typical snowplow similar to City set 60083.

Mail Van: $10: Minifigures: 1 Mail Van Driver: Details: Just a mail van. This is another one of those sets that we haven't gotten in a while, and I would like to have a mail truck in my collection.

Airport Fire Truck: $30: Minifigures: 2 Firefighters: Details: I don't really know how they would do it differently than the last one, other than maybe making it a bit bulkier than the last one.

Tow Truck: $30: Minifigures: 1 Tow Truck Driver and 1 Civilian: Details: The two builds are a tow truck and a small car. I don't know if I want one that looks like City set 60056 or City set 60081. They could go either way on this, but ideally maybe something in between. Now, I think I would like the white and green color scheme to come back, but it would be cool for it to have a different color scheme.

Coast Guard 4x4: $25: Minifigures: 2 Coast Guard Officers: Details: A smaller 4x4 that's a bit more similar to City set 7737.

Lawn Mower: $5: Minifigures: 1 Civilian: Details: A simple riding mower.

Train Museum: $80: Minifigures: 1 Museum Guide, and 6 Civilians: Details: A decent sized train museum that has a spot on the side that can open up so you can put the small steam train inside that's included with the set. The set would have several trans-light blue window panel pieces and a set of sliding doors at the front. The museum would also be two floors.

Hi guys and sorry if I've missed something. I am quite rare here. Just been to Brickset.com and didn't see there anything for

60272 (not even a number)

For this year. Any information, please?

On 5/26/2020 at 6:40 PM, Brandon Pea said:

Ok! If they were to do a public transit subtheme for City, they could easily stick a bendy bus in there. Check out these bus MOCs. My dude Benjamin Karl from Facebook made three different buses from parts of the bus from 60154. If I didn't know any better, I'd say these were prototypes for a cancelled City subtheme. He also did a shuttle bus and a mini bus. 

latest?cb=20191210192437

This is just a masterpiece! I've always dreamt that Lego would make - be it a single piece or whatever - the articulation for articulated buses. It might be used also for making metro trains.

2 hours ago, Night City Dream said:

This is just a masterpiece! I've always dreamt that Lego would make - be it a single piece or whatever - the articulation for articulated buses. It might be used also for making metro trains.

Yes Sir! He did an amazing job. He likely used a connecting trailer piece for the bendy part. But if Lego produced a bendy bus - automatic purchase for me. 

Thanks to a instagram account called "@mini_legogo" I know that lego will release more 2 (or even more) police sets .

-The first set is 60273 and is probably called "Heavy Driller Pursuit" because includes a Police car and a Small Red Driller, this set have two exclusive minifigures from Lego City Adventures tv show. Sam Grizzled and Hacksaw Hank:wub:, Sam Grizzled now have a new suit that sounds strange. A new police subtheme !?:dwacko:

-And the other set is 60274 and had an helicopter, a raft and a dockside lighthouse, but this set don't include new exclusive minifigures but includes Rooky Partnur and Vito.      This set can be called "raft arrest".

I don't know the release date, probably august like the avengers sets.

Here is a vídeo that shows the new summer Police sets.

Edited 11 hours ago by Powered by Bricks

Reply to this topic...

Tbh, I'm very disappointed. I was kinda hoping that the unnamed 2020 City sets would be town related sets. Not another wave of police sets. I guess City is once again doing their job of disappointment. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

22 hours ago, xxix5 said:

So, I don't know if I'm in the right place, but below I've put down my want list for the rest of 2020/2021, and I would like to start a conversation about the sets.

LEGO Truck: $50: Minifigures: 1 Truck Loader and 1 Truck Driver: Details: The two builds would be the truck itself and a small LEGO store. We haven't gotten a LEGO Truck set in some time, and it's about time we get one.

Snowplow: $25: Minifigures: 1 Snowplow Driver: Details: Just a typical snowplow similar to City set 60083.

Mail Van: $10: Minifigures: 1 Mail Van Driver: Details: Just a mail van. This is another one of those sets that we haven't gotten in a while, and I would like to have a mail truck in my collection.

Airport Fire Truck: $30: Minifigures: 2 Firefighters: Details: I don't really know how they would do it differently than the last one, other than maybe making it a bit bulkier than the last one.

Tow Truck: $30: Minifigures: 1 Tow Truck Driver and 1 Civilian: Details: The two builds are a tow truck and a small car. I don't know if I want one that looks like City set 60056 or City set 60081. They could go either way on this, but ideally maybe something in between. Now, I think I would like the white and green color scheme to come back, but it would be cool for it to have a different color scheme.

Coast Guard 4x4: $25: Minifigures: 2 Coast Guard Officers: Details: A smaller 4x4 that's a bit more similar to City set 7737.

Lawn Mower: $5: Minifigures: 1 Civilian: Details: A simple riding mower.

Train Museum: $80: Minifigures: 1 Museum Guide, and 6 Civilians: Details: A decent sized train museum that has a spot on the side that can open up so you can put the small steam train inside that's included with the set. The set would have several trans-light blue window panel pieces and a set of sliding doors at the front. The museum would also be two floors.

City Bus: $12: includes a blue city bus with a bus stop, Mary Sinclair, a regular civilian, and new bus driver named Brandon Transitwell. 

Tanker Truck: $12 Inudes Octan Tanker truck with gas pump and Harl Hubbs in an Octan suit. It's been a while since we got one of those. 2013 to be exact. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

9 hours ago, Brandon Pea said:

Tbh, I'm very disappointed. I was kinda hoping that the unnamed 2020 City sets would be town related sets. Not another wave of police sets. I guess City is once again doing their job of disappointment. 

Totally agree. I have to say that city 2020 is far worse than City 2019 and 2018, let alone 2015 - 2017.

1 hour ago, Night City Dream said:

Totally agree. I have to say that city 2020 is far worse than City 2019 and 2018, let alone 2015 - 2017.

Agree here, they switched to 5+ for many sets, and it's causes some builds to be pretty simplified.

They seem to be focusing on those Lego City Adventures characters.

Also no people pack, I know last year had 2, but still imo was one of the better features of the City line since 2016.

That said, there are still a fair amount of sets I like, especially the €10-€20 segment does well.

Edited by TeriXeri

4 hours ago, Night City Dream said:

At least there were some sets that I liked. But throughout the 2010s, there were a lot of sets that I had to either further tweak in order for them to meet my standards or I had to just simply pass up. As far as City sets are concerned, I rest my case! The late 2000s was the era for City sets. Back then, you had Police, Fire, Coast Guard, Emergency, Harbor, Garage, Cargo, Farm, Airport, Construction, Trains and Town. Unfortunately only 4 of those survived the dark ages; Police, Fire, Coast Guard and Trains - the first one practically owning the City theme now. However, I feel like Airport is kinda getting killed off this year as it practically got the "back seat" treatment with only three sets (two if you don't count the 4+ set). The 2016 Airport wave was much better because we got five sets that year. Other than the occasional boat set, Harbor is practically dead now. Though I do hope to see a harbor pop up again soon. Lego seems hesitant to push out medical related sets recently with hospitals coming out every 6 years and the occasional ambulance aircraft here and there. Personally, I think those should be given three year status. Besides their cameo appearances in Great Vehicles and some other sets; Garage, Cargo, Farm and Construction are dead....and that's sad. We did get the Turbo Wheels sets from 60255 to 60258 this year. The only issue was that I had to do some serious mods to the service station and the tuning workshop was awesome to have and all, but the garage building was a little too cartoonish for my liking. Kept the vehicles together though. 

Nowadays, it seems like City focuses primarily on different variations of police, different variations of explorers and mostly action outside of the city. They seem rather hesitant to push action within the city in favor of action outside of the city. Great Vehicles and Town are practically the only things keeping me with City. We still get Trains every four years, but they don't go any higher than a passenger train, a cargo train and some accessories including a station. Coast Guard is a little off balance with its appearance. But rumors are that it'll show up again in 2021. Fire comes out every three years of course and I'm sure you all know that Police is annual.  

Edited by Brandon Pea

3 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Agree here, they switched to 5+ for many sets, and it's causes some builds to be pretty simplified.

They seem to be focusing on those Lego City Adventures characters.

Also no people pack, I know last year had 2, but still imo was one of the better features of the City line since 2016.

That said, there are still a fair amount of sets I like, especially the €10-€20 segment does well.

I actually don't mind the Divers submarines however. From my POV, they did a great job with those. Even the mini submarine has managed to impress me. Though the big ship is a little over my budget and to be quite honest, I think to accommodate that, I'll need a much bigger desk!!!! But the submarines and base are nice though. The airport sets on the other hand.....well I think I'll only be getting the set with the big plane. I'm not too impressed with that 4+ set. I mean, it was made for really little children so I'm obviously not in the targeted audience. But that big plane gave me something that I never thought I'd see in a City set. The ability to transport a car. That one is an automatic purchase for me. For this year's great vehicles, I had to get that ice cream truck and that street sweeper. The postal plane didn't really impress me. I think they should've done a mail van instead. That would've been more interesting. I also have the monster truck too along with the race cars. I also ended up getting the police brick box and using that as my town's police precinct as it looks better. Stripped the big one down for parts. 

People Packs? I'm kinda disappointed that I haven't seen one of those this year. I'm hoping its a Downtown People Pack with different city workers. I'm also getting antsy with this year's mega set. I hope it hasn't been cancelled in favor of those two new police sets. 

Thanks all for the information and for posting the video, @Powered by Bricks! :classic:

60273 and 60274 are firstly superfluous because they don't offer much new (there's already a police copter for this year and police cars do exist more than necessary) plus secondy they look - like the majority of this year's Police sets - like if they were designed for very, very young kids.

When looking at 2020 at a whole, I have to notice that TLG changed the main target audience for many City products from "normal aged" kids to very, very small kids. You can see this in many sets including much simplier built vehicles and no or only very plain and small buildings in this year's Police, Airport and Special Forces sets. And I fear that this trend is going on in the next years, too. So when 2021 set names will get leaked this summer, we shouldn't be too hyped about the one or other set but wait til we'll get pictures to see (and be shocked) what TLG made out of it.

On 6/1/2020 at 7:26 PM, toopizza13 said:

i think there is 3 sets that have not been leaked,

1: 60271 - town D2C rumored to have a yellow tram

60272 - a possible elite police set

60269 - ??? maybe a donut shop type set?

i have a feeling those sets are going to get leaked. it looks like all these sets that have been leaked are from a magazine, so i hope the big town set, 60271, and 60272 gets leaked. fingers crossed, im very eager to see 60271

Comparing lists of several homepages, it seems only for sure that only 60271 will be released - maybe the two others, too, but not sure. And yes, 60271 will be the D2C set. But til now we even don't know if this is the rumored downtown set or not.

I personally don't understand why TLG doesn't give us the rest of the set names plus their prices plus even a short description of these. I mean: Without detailed pictures, a clone brand can't clone the sets (properly). So I bet that the "problem" lays somewhere else, or let's say the marketing strategy ...

On 6/1/2020 at 11:20 PM, TeriXeri said:

At least it would make sense if there was something to use the drill on, as City isn't a combat theme there's no monsters to fight like Ninjago/Nexo Knights had Driller vehicles before.

Of course there has been the 2018 mining theme but that retired, and each set had it's own breakable terrain.

The 2020 City Bank building already comes with a monster truck to destroy the wall with the Magnet feature.

Maybe they'd think kids can break the 2020 Police Station Prison, as it has the action feature. 

I do think that darkblue car looks nice but if there's no other set to use a Driller vehicle on it's just another chase, with a bit of a weird vehicle choice.

On 6/1/2020 at 11:32 PM, TeriXeri said:

There were 2 4+ sets with vaults before in 2018 and 2020 , so it surprises there's no vault build in that City set unless there's another set.

I agree that the driller on itself doesn't make any sense. Maybe there'll be a building in the rumored downtown set that has an according function. Or maybe 60272 does exist and is another special forces set containing that sort of building. But normally the lower the set numbers of a subtheme is, the smaller the set is. The strange thing is that that City art picture showed DukeDeTan in a special forces outfit, too. So I bet that he'll appear in a set this summer, too - maybe the D2C, but more likely a regular sold set.

On 6/2/2020 at 6:13 AM, BlueLanturnCorp said:

Given that the show is leading a lot of new Police sets, I wouldn't mind a set that contains the Acting School.

I wouldn't mind that, too, but honestly and sadly said, I can't imagine that TLG will release one.

17 hours ago, Brandon Pea said:

I can't agree more!

2 hours ago, Brandon Pea said:

People Packs? I'm kinda disappointed that I haven't seen one of those this year. I'm hoping its a Downtown People Pack with different city workers. I'm also getting antsy with this year's mega set. I hope it hasn't been cancelled in favor of those two new police sets. 

Totally agreement here, too! Of course it's not yet sure that there won't be a people pack this year, but it regrettably seems so. If so this would be very disappointing since I always liked these, too. They were alywas very usefull to populate your city with nice and varied minifigures. And so I did always buy several ones.

Only last years two minifigure packs were imo not that great because the Space minifigure pack was senseless since the Space sets already included enough minifigures and the Fairground minifigure pack was a bit out of place since there were no fairground sets inside the City theme. So maybe these two minifigure packs didn't sell well and so TLG decided to not release any more?

Disappointed that LEGO seems to have discontinued the people packs (last year's fairground pack was awesome)

1 hour ago, jonwil said:

Disappointed that LEGO seems to have discontinued the people packs (last year's fairground pack was awesome)

They had a fairground pack with Freya McCloud's nephew Billy and a space pack for 2019. That was awesome!

Edited by Brandon Pea

11 hours ago, Brandon Pea said:

I actually don't mind the Divers submarines however. From my POV, they did a great job with those. Even the mini submarine has managed to impress me. Though the big ship is a little over my budget and to be quite honest, I think to accommodate that, I'll need a much bigger desk!!!! But the submarines and base are nice though. 

The Divers Subtheme is good, but there are some 5+ sets like those pull helicopters, that's 3 sets I have zero interest in, even with that new variant of Freya.

The majority of sets are decent to good, but not much is really amazing, especially at full price.

I'd say the better sets imo this year are Race Cars, Tuning Shop, Underwater Base, Mail Plane (but exclusive here), Ice Cream Van, Safari Truck (but exclusive here).

Also wish Polybags were available more widely, I really like them for 2020, but it really depends on country/area/ on what shops have them in stock, LEGO already sells Xtra polybags, so having Polybags from other themes directly sold at LEGO.com would be nice. 

But the year isn't over, 2019 had City sets come out in September.

On another note, seems the City magazine in NL turned to only 6 issues this year at this rate, August will have issue 4 with the cop+criminal, so I wonder if we even get the racecar or harl hubbs later.

Edited by TeriXeri

4 hours ago, jonwil said:

That is strange since I was under the impression they were selling a lot, we got 2 last year so maybe they are skipping a year :shrug_oh_well:

25 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

That is strange since I was under the impression they were selling a lot, we got 2 last year so maybe they are skipping a year :shrug_oh_well:

True we got 2, also 2020 got a People Pack type set for Ninjago (Gamer's Market) maybe LEGO is testing such sets outside of just City as well.

I know the explanation of lego made 2 police sets for this summer. It's because lego maded only 7 sets for the police winter wave,and made two for fire department.

The two fire sets of this year we re maded for complete the fire dept collection of the past year, so lego maded two another police sets to complete this year's wave.   In 2011 lego maded 9 sets for the police subtheme, in 2014 lego maded 9 police sets too and in 2017 lego maded 9 sets too.

And I know why lego maded sets for very young kids: it's to made lego city adventures sets.

Im disappointed about that but lego made cool sets for this year.

Edited by Powered by Bricks