Digger of Bricks

LEGO City 2020 - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

55 minutes ago, Bornin1980something said:

Well the new Monkie Kid range includes a massive 10-wide Chinese food truck driven by a pig! But that's still nothing compared to Creator's unbelievable, super cool, outrageous, and amazing Burger Monster Truck!

City is the best at generic vehicles in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Lucarex said:

Not sure I agree it's a 2-in-1, just an extra hull from the 2015 set and a massive price step-up from the 54.99 set. That GWS will be brick-linked to extinction!

Two ships in one I guess.... 

i wish lego city would do a water park/resort set like friends did. i also think it would be cool if they did a mall set.

I would love a water park theme... I don't think one set can do it justice really, but it seems perfect for a longer running theme like the fairground sets.

On 5/17/2020 at 9:43 PM, toopizza13 said:

i wish lego city would do a water park/resort set like friends did. i also think it would be cool if they did a mall set.

Yeah! Something similar to the marina that we got back in 2011 would be awesomeness!

On 5/13/2020 at 4:28 AM, Brandon Pea said:

Would it be too much to ask for City to do another Octan gas tanker next year? 

Please don't forget to add a cement mixer to the wishing list...

1 hour ago, toopizza13 said:

official images for the summer sets are on the website

That's odd, it's not on the Dutch version of lego.com, but it is on the US one. :thinking:

6 hours ago, toopizza13 said:

official images for the summer sets are on the website

Saw them! That ship is EXPENSIVE!!!!! I love explorers sets, especially Arctic, Divers and Space as they give me early 2000s nostalgia. But the sets that I want are so expensive! Always $100 or over.  

2 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

Saw them! That ship is EXPENSIVE!!!!! I love explorers sets, especially Arctic, Divers and Space as they give me early 2000s nostalgia. But the sets that I want are so expensive! Always $100 or over.  

i love the new airport, but 100 for 650 pieces is expensive. that ship is crazy expensive too, 150 for 750 pieces. im so exited for the new town set, i hope it gets revealed or leaked soon.

Edited by toopizza13

2 minutes ago, toopizza13 said:

i love the new airport, but 100 for 650 pieces is expensive. that ship is crazy expensive too, 150 for 750 pieces. im so exited for the new town set, i hope it gets revealed or leaked soon.

The new airport and the big ship are both on my list. Welp, I guess that's what my stimulus check is for. LOL! I'm also excited for the new town set. I hope there is more than one town set and so far, there are six set numbers missing. One of those is of course this year's town planning set. I'm going to assume that two of the unnamed sets are people packs. The other three could be buildings. 

I dunno, the marine exploration ship seems like decent value to me at $150.  It is expensive, to be sure, and the price per part is very high, but it is a very big ship.  As Jang would say, the "volume of stuff" looks about right.  The 2015 deep sea exploration ship was $120; it had a much larger side build but no second hull.

8 hours ago, icm said:

I dunno, the marine exploration ship seems like decent value to me at $150.  It is expensive, to be sure, and the price per part is very high, but it is a very big ship.  As Jang would say, the "volume of stuff" looks about right.  The 2015 deep sea exploration ship was $120; it had a much larger side build but no second hull.

I don’t think the new version compares very well with the 2015 ship to be honest.

The second hull (and that’s all it is really, just one large extra piece) doesn’t justify the price increase, even allowing for inflation, and as you say the side build was better.

I’ll be bricklinking that great white shark of course, but the set is an easy pass particularly when the other sets are so MUCH better value for money. 

I don't have any beef with the ship itself. I'm ticked off over the price. Unless the set can perform miracles - don't pay more than you have to. Well.....actually it can perform miracles. It's a good addition to any seaside town or custom made Lego harbor. But for me personally, it looks like I'll be participating in an eBay bid for this set. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

If I get any of the new City sets, it'll be just the Underwater Base, since it functions as a sort of modular submarine as well.

Got the 2019 Diving Yacht to go with it, and I think it's fine for a smaller scale "1997 Divers" type of scene.

Edited by TeriXeri

Honestly pretty disappointed with the new city sets.  The vast majority of my City stuff (70 sets) is from 2004-2015, with a few exceptions of more recent sets.  I remember when the sets weren’t made up of panels, and as a result, the ppp was a lot better.  Plus, of course it was cheaper.  In my opinion, Creator has become like the old City - models made out of lots of smaller pieces, but still minifigure scale.  Old Creator wasn’t normally minifig scale, and that’s jut gone now.  The best City sets were ones such as 2009’s garage - over 900 pieces, and built on 2 16x32 baseplates and 1 8x16 baseplate.  At the moment, every subtheme that gets released in City has appeared before, and the older version was better in my opinion.  2015’s Deep Sea Exploration is one of my favourite subthemes, but I won’t be buying this unfortunately.  Airport is another good example, as is Arctic Exploration, Space, Fire, Police, and 60097 City Square was better than Capital City.  The best version always came out between about 2008 and 2015.  

Anyway, there’s no point lamenting over the past, but I’ll always prefer the 2004-15 period to 2016-Present.  The golden age of City is, in my opinion, over.

If I get any, it’ll be the underwater exploration base, and only because I missed the last one.   The others just aren’t particularly good, and are overpriced.

Edited by Vilhelm22

2 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

The golden age of City is, in my opinion, over.

The golden age was over since 2009 in my books. We've had some golden ages in the 2010s most of the awesome subthemes such as Construction (though we did get Demolition in 2015), Emergency, Garage, Farm and Harbor were killed off after the 2000s.

Cargo made a comeback in 2013, but that one was soon killed off and split between the 2016 Airport and 2017 Town waves. We haven't seen a proper Harbor since 2011. Farm only makes subtle appearances now with its last set being the Harvester Transport. Emergency does too with the last medical themed set being in 2019 - the Ski Resort. Construction only makes subtle appearances too through great vehicles and nega sets. As for garage, I guess the automotive sets from this year will have to suffice. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

Man... that ship :( You are paying for the floating hull and that's it. Its over twice as expensive as the submarine base with like 1.4x the parts. The other big draw for me is the manta ray, but you can get that in a polybag...! 

11 minutes ago, electropie said:

Man... that ship :( You are paying for the floating hull and that's it. Its over twice as expensive as the submarine base with like 1.4x the parts. The other big draw for me is the manta ray, but you can get that in a polybag...! 

Tbh, I don't think I really need the big ship. Treasure finding is done by the coast guard in my town. But I might get some of the submarines. I'm definatly grabbing that poly bag. 

Just now, Brandon Pea said:

Tbh, I don't think I really need the big ship. Treasure finding is done by the coast guard in my town. But I might get some of the submarines. I'm definatly grabbing that poly bag. 

Treasure finding is done by some old dude with a fishing rod in mine at the moment :laugh_hard: 

12 minutes ago, electropie said:

Treasure finding is done by some old dude with a fishing rod in mine at the moment :laugh_hard: 

My town is not a police state. Whoever sees it first gets to keep it and do what they wish to do with it. The coast guard just has to bring it to the surface. :laugh_hard:

5 hours ago, Brandon Pea said:

I don't really need the big ship either, with last year's sets being very diving themed already , I just want the Underwater Base.

31088-1.jpg?201811301044

31090-1.jpg?201811301044

60221-1.jpg?201811301044

951906-1.jpg?201908011042

40341-1.jpg?201812050815

2 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

I don't really need the big ship either, with last year's sets being very diving themed already , I just want the Underwater Base.

The explorers sets as a whole for City have become pointless as other themes seem to cover that and people seem to buy those more than the ones in City. But I don't think they'll be leaving anytime soon and I don't think they're all that bad. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

10 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

The explorers sets as a whole for City have become pointless as other themes seem to cover that and people seem to buy those more than the ones in City. But I don't think they'll be leaving anytime soon and I don't think they're all that bad. 

Agreed - on the Deep Sea at least.  Hopefully next year we’ll see something different rather than redoing a previously done subtheme.  Volcano was the least good in the first wave, and I honestly don’t want a return.  Of all of them, it’s the least realistic by some margin.  Wouldn’t mind some sort of African desert/plains exploration - animal moulds would be awesome there.  That’s another problem with the volcano stuff - the absence of animals of any kind.

I still think some sort of Australian Outback sets would be really cool and probably sell quite well (people all over the world know of Kangaroos and Koalas and Emus and such)