Digger of Bricks

LEGO City 2020 - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

3 minutes ago, ItamatTheGreat said:

Hey! Is there a people pack planned for this summer wave?

I think that's what I and everyone else here wants to know. 

37 minutes ago, paul_delahaye said:

It's ok, but there is something wrong with the scale of the cabin/bridge and the ship, it looks too small?

I think it might look smaller because they use darkblue parts for the lowest deck, whereas real ships mostly use a big white structure.

Also the prefab hull has a hole at that spot so there's interior below deck.

I'd think minfig can still sit at the bridge, but looks really small to have standing figures.

Edited by TeriXeri

I agree with Just2good. 2020 is going from bad (1H) to worst (2H). Though, my wallet hasn't been this happy since the end of my dark age (2007).

I agree the big ship is overpriced, and can see how the underwater base uses the same system as the Space Station, but I still think the underwater base is the best set of the entire season, and much better then the 2015 base.

Now , as for the 2019 Space figs, they could easily be used underwater as well (as they did with the Atlantis theme in another color).

Edited by TeriXeri

26 minutes ago, The Cobra said:

I agree with Just2good. 2020 is going from bad (1H) to worst (2H). Though, my wallet hasn't been thiz happy since the end of my dark age (2007).

I disagree. I think 2020 was one of the best.

We got an ice cream truck and a small but very well done street sweeper. One vehicle I thought I'd never see in City and another that I haven't seen in a long time. Heck, I even converted the ice cream truck into a small walk to shop.

Link to that right here: 

I'll have you know that a lot of people (including myself) thought that the tuning workshop was badass. The police station kinda sucked, but they gave you an alternative police station out of a brick box which I have had the honor of obtaining from Amazon recently. That one should've been THE headquarters in my opinion. 

We also got a fire buggy and two airports. Surprisingly, the 4+ version gives you a bigger airport building. 

So I'd say 2020 is one of best. Now I'm waiting for this town planning sets to be revealed. That'll further intensify my point. 

On 4/25/2020 at 4:55 AM, paul_delahaye said:

It's ok, but there is something wrong with the scale of the cabin/bridge and the ship, it looks too small?

Considering that, with those two hulls spliced together, this is largest boat LEGO has ever made, the tower section does look a bit small in comparison with the minifig. I think they're doing the same sort of thing they do with Star Wars capital ships; make everything look to scale externally, minus the minifigs. If you take the figs out of the picture, it looks like a much better mini-scale vessel. With the figs, it just looks too small, relatively speaking. It' a common problem with any number of toy brands, not just LEGO, as creating an in-scale model would be impractically large, unwieldy, and expensive. The beauty of a LEGO model over other toys is that it can be modified fairly easily. When I first saw pics of this ship, I had hoped that that mid-deck would also be properly scaled to accommodate minifigs, but looking at it with scrutiny for the first time, it's pretty clear that that's not the case. Ah well, to be expected, I suppose. I'm still getting it, as I love these big ships. I hope another cargo freighter is close behind. Love me some cargo sets.:wub:

For the 2020 LEGO offerings on the whole, so far as where my interests lie (City, Ninjago, some Creator, some Star Wars, the very infrequent Technic), this has been a lackluster year for me, and subsequently, I've bought less LEGO this year thus far than I have in decades. I would have loved another expansion wave of last year's excellent City Space sets. I like sci-fi, and right now, aside from Star Wars, for which I've become fatigued, LEGO's just not making much that grabs my interest. Ninjago has been sustaining me, but aside from a couple of sets, the rest of last year's wave, with all the video game stuff, just didn't pique my interest. I'm starting to get excited about the upcoming Ninjago and Monkie Kid stuff- lots of good in there, both from a parts and a set perspective. I'm also down for that Airbus inspired airliner, although I dislike the continued use of that large single piece wing. Even if it raised the price by $20-30, I'd much rather get a building experience with the wings using plates, and preserve the integrity of the entire interior cabin space. I know I'm not alone in that sentiment. The rest of the undersea line is decent; I'll likely pick a few of them up. I like all the new sea life molds. LEGO's building a nice repertoire of animals, insomuch as they'd be able to make a nice fully populated aquarium/zoo set that I think would be a great addition to City, especially if they did it as a line, with a series of different scaled sets. 

I watched a couple documentaries on the majestic Concorde yesterday, and having been retired since 2003, I wonder if LEGO will do a commemorative model to mark her 20th anniversary in 2023? It's a bittersweet thing, but personally, I'd love a City SST taking its design cues from Concorde. Since the A380 seems to have informed the shape of the new airliner cockpit piece, I wonder if they'd take similar inspiration from a jet that was way ahead of its time to give City Airlines a bit of a futuristic boost. 

What I find weird is that we haven’t even got the set names of some of the city summer sets. And for the rest we have even got the pictures. Very strange.

17 minutes ago, Melle_24 said:

What I find weird is that we haven’t even got the set names of some of the city summer sets. And for the rest we have even got the pictures. Very strange.

We have actually. The pictures of the airport and Divers subthemes were revealed not too long ago. 

I will certainly buy LEGO 60261 (4+ aeroplane) AND LEGO 60262 (areoplane)

For 60262 I will buy two sets, one set for play and one set for keep

I will certainly buy 60263 and 60264 for a couple of sets because of its beautiful yellow submarine

I will certainly not buying 60260. I will probably buy 60266, but not quite sure because the research boat isn't very attractive to me, nothing surprising

9 hours ago, Brandon Pea said:

We have actually. The pictures of the airport and Divers subthemes were revealed not too long ago. 

No i actually meant the number 60271-60274, those are listed to be city sets but even the names aren’t revealed yet.

1 hour ago, Melle_24 said:

No i actually meant the number 60271-60274, those are listed to be city sets but even the names aren’t revealed yet.

Oh..... 

Yeah I wonder what those are too. 60259 and 60269 haven't been revealed yet either. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

I actually think the redesign of the parts on the big airplane make it look uglier.

I own the 2010 airport and IMO its the best looking airport they have done in the City line.

2 hours ago, jonwil said:

I own the 2010 airport and IMO its the best looking airport they have done in the City line.

I like the 2016 because of its colors. 

Watching that video, I see the crane on the reserch ship slides the length of the open gap to allow craning the sub into the forward cargo space.  Interesting, but over £100 sounds like Lego have lost the plot on this one.

2 hours ago, paul_delahaye said:

Watching that video, I see the crane on the reserch ship slides the length of the open gap to allow craning the sub into the forward cargo space.  Interesting, but over £100 sounds like Lego have lost the plot on this one.

I dunno why! But it seems like the City division of Lego usually prices the explorers sets really high to where as its almost always only possible to get these sets when they hit clearance. That or if you're just not on a tight budget. But I do have the understand why? I mean.....just look at all that detail and hard work that's been put into them. It almost seems like the designers of City intended these to be for older City fans due to the late 90s/early 2000s nostalgia they give us older fans. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

So, in regards to the new City 2020 sets... man. I love the new underwater stuff, but I will continue to show LEGO that I don't want named minifigues from the LEGO City show by not buying any of the sets with the LEGO City show. I do like the new big boat, the new underwater helmet piece, but even though I like the airport, I won't be buying it. I really don't like the idea of having characters from the LEGO City show being in the main line instead of a subtheme. I've already talked enough about me not wanting to see characters from the show in the main line of sets. I am happy Divers is returning, and I'm curious about what subthemes are going to happen in 2021.

@xxix5 I love the underwater stuff too. I prefer generic to name brands myself and I also prefer that the characters remain nameless. My only assumption is that they began naming characters due to marketing situations. Show case them on TV an make children love City more. In my opinion, if it were up to me, I would've used Lego City Adventures as an excuse to bring Pepper back from the dead. If you compare some of the people in Lego Island to minifigures that you see during the "HEY" generation of City sets, you'll see that a lot of them bare a spitting image to each other. Read this discussion page and it'll explain more of that theory that I made up. But back to Pepper. I mean......why have multiple characters that are only exclusive to one job per person when you can have a character that can pretty much do anything. Lego City Adventures would be about a skateboarding man in his 20s who goes around Lego City and helps other people out with all sorts of different jobs. Heck, I would even add other characters from Lego Island such as Nick. Mama and Papa, Nubby, Brickster, etc. 

13 hours ago, xxix5 said:

I am happy Divers is returning, and I'm curious about what subthemes are going to happen in 2021.

Well I hear that Coast Guard is likely to return. They should also revive the Cargo and Mail subtheme from 2008. That one was good. We got a mail plane this year, but it was kinda lame to be honest. As a child, I wouldn't really have fun playing with that as I would a mail van or a post office. They should also revive the Towing subtheme from 2009 - which I haven't even gotten a chance to get those. We did get a tuning workshop, but I'm looking for something more generic. I also have some unlikely ideas for subthemes such as one centered around Public Transportation. I figured that since they had Transport By Car and Air Transport, I figured it wouldn't be too much to ask for a public transport subtheme; maybe with a bus, a three car rapid transit style train or even a street car like the one we saw in set 60097. I also hope they revive the Medical subtheme. Hospitals and ambulances sell well too. That would make lots of money. I would hope Lego listens and makes the "ambulance" the first responders subtheme for 2021. But I wouldn't be surprised if we got a wave of more boring police crap next year instead. 

So here's the reality for City 2021. I'm setting very low standards. I've noticed Lego's pattern for City. Its likely that next year, we'll get the following things:

• Another wave of police crap. Most likely based outside of the city. Usually following classic police year, they release a police wave based outside of the city such as forest police, swamp police and mountain police. Though Lego says that they aren't separate subthemes. They're all under the Police subtheme. Just sold annually! That's all! 
  • A subtheme involving the industrial side of Lego City similar to Demolition Experts and Miners. I would hope that its HarborFarm or Construction that returns. 
  • Some great vehicles; likely involving a camper or some type of hauler. A helicopter or aircraft will be included. No questions asked regarding that. 
  • Another explorer's subtheme during the summer wave. 
  • The respectable people packs, town sets and mega set. Pretty much, the only thing keeping me to the City theme nowadays. 

Sorry for the rambling. But I just love the points you bring up so much. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

Look closely at the ship.

IT IS TWO HULLS from 60095 back to back. That is why there is a plate half way down the side of the hull.

Sooo, you get two short boats for MOCs.

You know, I recently check the summer wave of Friends with High Quality pictures about the next wave, and I realized something.

The City passenger plane does not have a compartment under the roof to store their luggage. Sure they have it but it only stands there and no way to store it safely. Now I'm even more disappointed with the airport set :sadnew:. I'm sorry but after seeing the other sets, I just don't have the guts to buy it.

Notify me if there are people pack and D2C city sets. Hopefully these won't dissapoint.

Edited by AMD

1 hour ago, AMD said:

The City passenger plane does not have a compartment under the roof to store their luggage.

Are you serious? It doesn't have a proper luggage compartment, but the Friends one does? Now you can tell that there is no excuse there. They could've stuck one in there. 

Edited by Brandon Pea