Digger of Bricks

LEGO City 2020 - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

Woo-hoo! Not disappointed by the deep see stuff! The base looks great and so does the boat. And the new 3in1 creator are pretty awesome as well! 

60264 doesn't do much for me but I love the new undersea base! It's way better than the 60096 Deep Sea Operations base from the 2015 line up. I love the inclusion of the sea bed, this will definitely be a day one purchase :)

15 hours ago, Lucarex said:

Not lost all hope yet, waiting for the sets that contain the new hammerhead and GW sharks.

Didn’t have to wait too long ?

Ok, so this makes it an easy space-saving, wallet-sparing decision.

The underwater base is THE pick of them all, and I’ll look to get the GWS and anglerfish separately.

The red car which gets loaded into the back of the Plane in set 60262 looks to have very odd dimensions.  

Plane, is ok, but as others have said, engines look odd, I can live with the hald passenger, half cargo style plane.

I like the big blue boat, but looks slightly unfinished, like they had planned to include a submarine to be craned from the cargo hold of the ship.  But Lego ran our of scope on that set, so they just inlucded a diver cage instead........ 

I like the small polybag with the ray in it.  

Edited by paul_delahaye

3 hours ago, paul_delahaye said:

I like the big blue boat, but looks slightly unfinished, like they had planned to include a submarine to be craned from the cargo hold of the ship.  But Lego ran our of scope on that set, so they just inlucded a diver cage instead........

Beside that diver cage there is a little submersible stuff in the set.

https://www.promobricks.de/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/lego-city-60266-0004.jpg

lego-city-60266-0004.jpg

(If picture is not allowed, I will remove it without hesitation.)

Edited by Anak

12 minutes ago, Anak said:

Beside that diver cage there is a little submersible stuff in the set.

https://www.promobricks.de/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/lego-city-60266-0004.jpg

lego-city-60266-0004.jpg

(If picture are not allowed, I will remove it without hesitation.)

Was hoping the bottom wasn't open so hull can be reused as another type of ship. At least it has some more accessories than the leak.

60265 - I like how there's a bicycle and other garbage on the seafloor. It's a great set to educate kids about pollution

Great to see that the underwater reef/landscape in 60264 and 60265 seems to be brick-built instead of using BURPs. Corals are a nice touch, not to mention the variety of new creatures. 

Normally not into City, but Im a total sucked for underwater themes. The Sea Base is so good. Definitely grabbing that, the larger submarine, and a whole lot of polybags. Its nice that the smaller set comes with the shark but the build is super meh so I may just Bricklink a few sharks.

also the backs of the three larger sets have actual photos of sea creatures/ coral/wrecks which is super sweet.

1 hour ago, Hermes said:

60265 - I like how there's a bicycle and other garbage on the seafloor.

But they could have been just a little more generous and attach some wheels to the frame...

That Base and Submarine look amazing indeed.

Really a throwback to 1997 Divers more then 2015.

6 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

Too true ol chap! 

2 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

But, the 1997 was way better. The main ship looks like an unfinished set (crane, mini sub)... I guess I'll just have to dig out my old divers sets :). 

Has anyone else noticed that the boat/ship in 602006 is actually 2 of the boats from 60095 joined together, hence the hole in the hull!

1 hour ago, *thomas* said:

But, the 1997 was way better. The main ship looks like an unfinished set (crane, mini sub)... I guess I'll just have to dig out my old divers sets :). 

Yeah the 1997 Surface ships were better, LEGO parts wise imo. I only had the whale skeleton set which might have been the simplest looking ship of them all but the underwater content compensated for that.

2019 Diving Yacht was good too, even while it's a more speedboat shaped hull, a great set for €20.

This one isn't bad if people want a floating big hull (it's actually 2 hulls connected), I also can see ship fans being able to customize this into a large cargo ship (or even passenger cruise ship with deep interior) with the hole in the hull.

It still is an expensive set, I personally see more value in the Base/Submarine sets.

14 minutes ago, scottwb2010 said:

Has anyone else noticed that the boat/ship in 602006 is actually 2 of the boats from 60095 joined together, hence the hole in the hull!

Yes it's 2x 20x40x7. ship hulls :

Edited by TeriXeri

yeah, I saw that, too. Look at all the Technic beams bridging the split. I'd love to see the float tests they did before arriving at that solution. I hope they do a cargo ship in the same vein. I also hope they do a floating platform at some point. Even if LEGO shies from depicting oil drilling these days, a platform for oceanic sciences would be nice. There's something intrinsically cool about floating platforms, whatever their purpose.

Two of those hulls tied together would make a good base for a small aircraft carrier. 

The underwater station actually looks pretty much like the space station from the latest space wave, same design only different colors.

To be a bit picky though, the shipwreck of the 2015 set was way better as it was an actual ship, wrecked and with a play feature too. I feel like the sacrificed the side build for a larger ship. I wonder if the 2 joint boat hulls are the reason for the price bump to what, 150$?

I'll be picking these all up in any case, but not at retail prices (at least for the large exploration ship set).

Edited by HereWeGoAgain

Biggest letdown of the large airplane is that the wing cuts off half the passenger section, could easily fit 4-6 more figs otherwise.

Edit : I now see all the previous planes had a similar situation, and this one is 1 brick taller, and much longer so could fit a lot more people with mods.

8 hours ago, AnyColourYouLike said:

Is this it for this year's summer City wave then? 

Last year there were some sets that came later in September like the Ski Resort.

Also no people packs or Town Plan type sets makes me wonder if they still are made this year.

Stonewars still lists 6 set numbers however.

Edited by TeriXeri

Hmm, if I had the space (and cash), the ocean research vessel would certainly be added to my town.  The large sub seems ok, but the base leaves me a little cold.  I don’t get the point of the three bits coming off, and how it’s not playable as one whole base, where minifig can get from one spot to the other.  

@AnyColourYouLike @TeriXeri It would be a real letdown if there were no Town sets as those along with the Great Vehicles are two of six things that really keep me attached to the City theme. The other four being FireClassic PoliceCoast Guard and Airport.  

Personally, I would like to see Medical get its subtheme slot back like it was in 2006. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

20 hours ago, scottwb2010 said:

i was wondering what that weird flap on the side of the hull was. (right in the middel.. duh..) and it is to hide te gap.
i am not sure if i like that.

3 hours ago, jus1973 said:

Hmm, if I had the space (and cash), the ocean research vessel would certainly be added to my town.  The large sub seems ok, but the base leaves me a little cold.  I don’t get the point of the three bits coming off, and how it’s not playable as one whole base, where minifig can get from one spot to the other.  

It's a similar system as the 2019 Lunar Space Station, to keep the scale/price down.

Also the modules could be raised and lowered by the Crane on the big ship set, so people can "build" the station, or retrieve it back onto the big ship for repairs or something (imaginitive play)

I can certainly see advantage of this system, people can even connect multiple sets easily to expand it, still a much better Base set then the 2015 one as it doesn't come with a seaplane taking a large amount of parts, instead I think integrating the vehicle as part of the base is a good change.

But I can also see the point of comparing it with Aquazone bases etc, which overall had more interior space but nowadays would cost a lot more as well at that scale.

$90 set would be $150 today.

6195-1.jpg

Edited by TeriXeri

That terrible wing piece again on the big planes again ! It doesn’t give you any space for more seats or cargo in that area , and it has no dihedral at all which is a sciential for low engine wing planes .

On the big passenger plane , is that a new mold piece on the vertical tail  stabilizer part ?  

Edited by danimarroquin

The underwater dive base is a great addition this year.  The biggest complaint from deep sea undewater explorer's in 2015 [Thx Brandon Pea : ) for the edit] was that the base was completely open underwater (https://brickset.com/sets/60096-1/Deep-Sea-Operation-Base).  Lego fixed that this time around by placing three separate capsules.  I think the photo showing the detachment for the underwater base simply demonstrates that it is modular.  You can reattach them anywhere and expand upon them with multiple sets as well.  There is probably a way to break open the wall with the attachments so that the minifigures can move between capsules with modifications.  It's impossible to compare these with Aquazone of course.  Neptune's Discovery Lab in Aquazone had an underwater dome with two gaint seascape pieces and a sub with fueling tank station, crane, and separate underwater capsule station is hands down the best underwater set ever made in my opinion.  Having said that, this year's summer 2020 is one of the strongest showings ever of all the diving themes.  The medium submarine with great interior space, the large ship that's actually two 2015 ship pieces put together and all the accessories from mini sub to ship to crane to giant shark etc.  I also loved how they minimize the shipwreck in the large ship set.  There's no point in building a giant sunken ship and wasting all the bricks into a sunken ship  I hope they plan to release more later on.  Recently, just about every town subtheme has been a blast from artic, jungle, volcano to dive themes : ).

Edited by legobear