Digger of Bricks

LEGO City 2020 - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

Just now, Lucarex said:

At least The NatGeo stingray/coral/diver polybag looks good value.

Oh yeah, I may just spend my entire budget on those polybags, depending on their distribution channels :D They are everything I wanted from the "main" sets.

22 minutes ago, Huaojozu said:

I wonder if the boat actually floats...

The previous one did. Was a highlighted feature back then.

Just now, Huaojozu said:

Oh yeah, I may just spend my entire budget on those polybags, depending on their distribution channels :D They are everything I wanted from the "main" sets.

Also notice what looks like the GITD anglerfish in the submersible set, off as it was earmarked for the Hidden Side sub (it may appear in both of course).

Still holding out hope the set with the hammerhead shark will be a big improvement on these two.

Just now, Lucarex said:

The previous one did. Was a highlighted feature back then.

Also notice what looks like the GITD anglerfish in the submersible set, off as it was earmarked for the Hidden Side sub (it may appear in both of course).

Still holding out hope the set with the hammerhead shark will be a big improvement on these two.

The anglerfish does make the smaller of the two sets more appealing, that's for sure. 

Looking back at the catalog prices, the ship is the largest at 130EUR, the other set is the submarine for 30EUR (which I may actually get assuming Amazon keeps doing their regular 30% offs). So we're missing the Marine Research Base at 60 EUR and the mini-submarine at 10 EUR. I expect the mini-sub to be a slightly bigger version of the polybag, so no high hopes there. The Base will probably be similar to 60096 so the question remains whether the bulk of the pieces will be used on another vehicle (such as the plane in that set). We can only hope for a large underwater base and something it is exploring...

@Huaojozu @Lucarex Tbh, I'm not disappointed. It is Ocean Exploration so....I expected a subtheme about boats. Though we haven't even seen the base set yet. So I shant judge. That's just the vessel and the submarine. My hope is that that's not the final box art on the vessel. It most certainly wouldn't sell there. 

As expected the boat isn't really that interesting to me. Submarine looks about how I expected so I'll grab that, though sadly looks like it won't be including the new hammerhead. Hopefully the mini sub is like 2014's 60091, which included a shark, so fingers crossed the hammerhead will show up in that as well as the research base.

Submarine looks like great set with a good amount of underwater terrain, to go along the 2019 Diving Yacht etc.

Ship is huge but also at a huge price of like €130+, it looks great, sure, but it's still mainly a giant single piece hull taking the big chunk of the price, but still it's been a while since City had a big ship, especially this size.

I'm very interested to see the Base.

Edited by TeriXeri

That boat isn't a single piece hull, it's two of the last boat hulls back to back... That's a monster ship.

21 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

Submarine looks like great set with a good amount of underwater terrain, to go along the 2019 Diving Yacht etc.

Ship is huge but also at a huge price of like €130+, it looks great, sure, but it's still mainly a giant single piece hull taking the big chunk of the price, but still it's been a while since City had a big ship, especially this size.

I'm very interested to see the Base.

I agree 100%. The submarine and the big ship definitely have a place in my town. I'm very glad to see an old subtheme from my childhood revived.

I usually disagree with these kinds of sets as I'm not too keen on action outside of the city being emphasized so much in a theme about action regarding to city life. But Divers (same with Space) is different. The bases are based in the city. So I have no squabbles about those. 

My hope is that the vessel only goes up to $99.99 USD. But if it goes up to $110.00 USD or something similar, I'll be alright. I'm also looking forward to the base set. 

What I'm waiting for is this year's town planning sets. Set no. 60259, 60269, 60271 and 60272 are still missing while 60273 and 60274 remain unnamed. My assumption is that this year's town wave will be spectacular or that we may see a surprise subtheme. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

That huge boat looks amazing. It's like a childhood dream from that 90s catalog multiplied several times so that an AFOL in me can appreciate it.

The huge boat have only one normal shark *huh*
The other set looks more interesting with some type of coral reef maybe? There also seems to be more than one glow in the dark element beside the new fish, what is that about :wacko:

Are this prelims, something do not add up here! We more or less know we will get a hammerhead shark and a great white shark, and it is hard to believe that the stingray are only in the polybag. So unless the other sets have loots of animals this is odd :sceptic: I could be that the huge boat used to much of the budget on big part for the ship and could not afford any more animals, last underwater wave only had one set with a lot of animals so may be the same now :shrug_oh_well:

I'm surprised the two leaks were only now posted on instagram since they were out for about two weeks I think. 

35 minutes ago, Harkonen said:

I'm surprised the two leaks were only now posted on instagram since they were out for about two weeks I think. 

Where exactly were these preliminary images “out” 2 weeks ago?

Looking at the massive boat again, if that’s the final content, it’s really lacking as a set. Compare with the fantastic Deep Sea Explorer set 60095 from 2014 which had a large floating boat with winch and shark cage, a seabed partial shipwreck with gold treasure, a small submersible, 2 mini subs, 4 divers, 1 underwater welder, 3 sharks (2 grey, 1 white) 1 sawfish, and an octopus.

Edited by Lucarex

Yes, 60095 had more accessories, but the boat hull was useless. The new ship can be easily transformed into a cargo ship for instance, and it comes with a small helicopter. I like this one better.

16 minutes ago, brimbolet said:

Yes, 60095 had more accessories, but the boat hull was useless. The new ship can be easily transformed into a cargo ship for instance, and it comes with a small helicopter. I like this one better.

I think @SD100 is right:

6 hours ago, SD100 said:

That boat isn't a single piece hull, it's two of the last boat hulls back to back... That's a monster ship.

So you get 2 useless boats instead of one :tongue:

1 hour ago, Lucarex said:

Looking at the massive boat again, if that’s the final content, it’s really lacking as a set. Compare with the fantastic Deep Sea Explorer set 60095 from 2014 which had a large floating boat with winch and shark cage, a seabed partial shipwreck with gold treasure, a small submersible, 2 mini subs, 4 divers, 1 underwater welder, 3 sharks (2 grey, 1 white) 1 sawfish, and an octopus.

Yes, but as I said that was the only set with a lot of animals in that wave. The rest had mostly just a shark and the biggest set did not have a singe one :wacko: So do not give up hope yet, could be a similar set this wave, saves me money if I only need to buy one set that comes with a lot of animals :wink:

1 hour ago, Lucarex said:

Where exactly were these preliminary images “out” 2 weeks ago?

Uh, on 4 c h a n. They were revealed there by a leaker. That's why I said the pictures are in the forbidden place. 

Edited by Harkonen

It's the same hull (from 60095; U shape) back to back? I thought it's a different one. That would mean the ship has a hole in the center... they must be joking if that's true.

21 minutes ago, brimbolet said:

It's the same hull (from 60095; U shape) back to back? I thought it's a different one. That would mean the ship has a hole in the center... they must be joking if that's true.

I believe the hole is for lowering the submersible through it.

A little disappointed by the airport sets...also for MOCing I really wish they allowed the airplane roof door piece to have room for a door on the other side...hopefully we'll get recolors for some of the large blue and yellow parts

Same here, not much reason for me to buy the airport sets though I realize I'm hardly the target audience. On another note, anyone knows how much the Diver minifig usually goes for? I'm wondering how easy it will be to get a fever of stingrays. With the poly at around 3 EUR on sale it seems like a great value.

1 hour ago, AnyColourYouLike said:

Ah bummer, I was kinda hoping there'd be a cool new Aviator/Aviatrix torso print introduced with one of the Airport sets... :sceptic:

The airport wave is not bad. Lots of coloring - that's for sure. :laugh: But I think I'll pass. At least 60262 comes with Poppy Star from LCA. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

Dear TLG, which part about airPORT don't you get? It's about the port, not the plane.
30 years ago, they understood this:

Town | Flight | Brickset: LEGO set guide and database

Loving this nice little deatil tough...

image.png.785cb571175b4387115f8f3103a44763.png

Edited by *thomas*

35 minutes ago, mapimi said:

A little disappointed by the airport sets...also for MOCing I really wish they allowed the airplane roof door piece to have room for a door on the other side...hopefully we'll get recolors for some of the large blue and yellow parts

I am disappointed with airport sets and the diver sub theme except for that poly bag.

There is not really a airport to speak of, unless you look at the 4+ set but it doesn't go with the larger airport set which is really just only a plane. The diving ship set seems way more sparse than the previous release years ago which i am now going to pick up since i missed it. They just released a giant boat but not much else with it, only 1 shark and barely there ship wreck compared to the last one. I assume they think since they give a giant ship they are making up for it?

Edited by SWC0llect0r

Well, as expected the buildings for the City theme are practically non-existent, and no wonder since the main plane is 8studs wide. But the sets are colorful so kids will like them. 60260 is a poor set though. It has no spectators and personally I have never seen helicopters which compete during an air show against each other.