Digger of Bricks

LEGO City 2020 - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

2 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

Would've been awesome if City Undercover became an actual TV series instead of City Adventures. Or if Chase McCain was the main character instead of Duke DeTain. 

Agreed, although LEGO City Adventures is more or less targeted at kids, while LEGO City Undercover is a little bit more 'teen-oriented'. Chase McCain is 'edgier' than Duke DeTain, hence why they created a new character - to match the tone of the TV show.

The thing is, LEGO keeps coming up with new characters and when the series has run its course, they (most of the time) completly abandon them.

It would be cool to see a set/minifigure pack with some of the LEGO undercover characters. It also kinda bugs me that all these new characters are being introduced without much back story. I do like the characters names like "Freya McCloud" named after the fire fighting tools

But I don't want it to be like Hidden Side where you end up with tons of Parker and Jack. I don't know if I like having named characters or just plain people included in sets

@x57bob I know this is off topic, but I like your avatar. Farm was one of the most underrated subthemes by City. I made some set ideas for a possible Farm subtheme revival by making it more action packed. I see you're also a City fan so I'm following you. I follow all City fans. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

Thanks @Brandon Pea!

Just recently I built that set from my spare parts. Unfortunately I didn’t buy any of the Farm sets (that was a long time ago and I wasn’t that into LEGO). It would be amazing if LEGO did another farm theme because I think a lot of people missed out on that one. The Harvester Transport was pretty good, but I’d love a full farm set like the old one. All the new techniques could make a really realistic and fun set

1 hour ago, x57bob said:

The Harvester Transport was pretty good, but I’d love a full farm set like the old one. 

I've actually ordered the harvester from that set  I have yet to receive it as it's coming from overseas. So far, that harvester is the best one made by Lego. 

Saw a tiny impression of what the Airport could potentially look like in the City Magazine (issue 2).

It's just a tiny drawing on a map, no actual LEGO model or anything, but it does show 2 grey rollercoaster tracks waving upwards, so basicly 1 side of the roof is taller, and then a square Control Tower attached to it.

But on the same map they also show the old airplane from 2016, but the 2 rollercoaster tracks were mentioned at toyfair.

Edited by TeriXeri

Actually that would be great as a curve roof on a airport , would be like a normal airport design with giant curve roofs . Fantastic ! 

any pictures of that magazine ? 

I was hoping for a tram train service from the main terminal to the Gates just like in Orlando airport , but I’ll stick with a nice architecture and realistic airport .

Edited by danimarroquin

Did some parts testing to get a sense of scale.

Big difference in size and height between ramps, but the 2016 airport building was 32 studs wide.

The smaller curve would look decent as a roof with a seperate Control Tower next to it (like 2010).

Compare to 2016 and 2010 buildings.

hNci2Pg.pngtn_60104_alt5_jpg.jpg3182-1.jpg?201001220330

But I wouldn't put too much into this , as the same map shows a (whipped cream) factory , a large train station and soccer stadium, and skyscrapers.

It's just an advert for a map that comes with this book that's relasing next month mid-may , as you can see, it's very stylized.

I'd think we'd get set pictures soon anyway.

550x708.jpg

Edited by TeriXeri

Thanks for the news on the animal molds and the diver polybag! :classic:

I really like the new outfit (esp. the helmet) of the new diver. And the animals are brilliant! :thumbup:

___

But which I'm annoyed about is that TLG is that extremely stingly this year with news about the summer sets like they never have been before since my registration here on EB in 2007! There aren't yet any set pictures (apart from the leaked confidential one) - and even the list of (non-exclusive) sets isn't complete yet. And that although some summer sets might show up in special toy shops already in less than one month! :thumbdown:

I can only think of two reasons for this:

1. (With its hundreds of themes and thousands of licenses) TLG more and more doesn't get ready to judge which sets to release and then to finalize these sets. So the set info as well as the pics aren't ready in time so that TLG can't give them us in time, too.

2. TLG wants to inforce us to buy as many sets of the winter wave as possible. If they gave us info and showed us pics of the summer wave early enough, then the one or other person would decide to not buy some sets of the winter wave because he/she would judge one ore more sets of the summer wave as more worthy and so save the money for these. Because of this TLG waits til late April so that people spend all their money on Easter (and of course all the money before) on the winter wave sets.

The argument that TLG does at the moment give us FOLS info on future sets so extremely late is because of clone brands is imo only pushed forwards. No clone brand could make acutally (nearly) the same set with only information or one set picture. To produce nearly the same set, the clone brand needs some insider information (like building instructions etc.) which they surely don't get from us FOLs and which aren't officially available before the release dates of the sets. I would even expand it: The detailed pics of single new elements in all angels popping up here and there are a far more bigger damage for TLG (because so clone brands can very exactly reproduce these elements) than if TLG gave us some info about future sets and one picture of each of them.

My resume: I wish back the time when TLG was more open, gave us complete lists of sets early and then some overview (I don't mean detailed) pictures in time so that we could be looking forward to (some of) these sets and could plan how much money we spend on which set. Because TLG should consider: The money of their customers isn't endless. And a happy customer is the best customer (and not one who buys at the moment very much and then will be frustrated and won't buy much more in the future).

___

35 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

Did some parts testing to get a sense of scale.

Big difference in size and height between ramps.

But the 2016 Airport building was built on a 16x32 studs 

ok87T2H.png

I think that it'll be the right version. Two possiblilties: 1. The building is built on a 24xY base. 2. There is a 32xY base but with some space in on both sides or on one side.

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Just now, Klaus-Dieter said:

I think that it'll be the right version. Two possiblilties: 1. The building is built on a 24xY base. 2. There is a 32xY base but with some space in on both sides or on one side.

I updated the picture with a double-curve, think it'd make more sense for a roof, and then the tower at the side like 2010.

Could even add some tilt via technic parts to rotate the roof to make it more horizontal, yet waved.

hNci2Pg.png

Edited by TeriXeri

Just now, TeriXeri said:

I updated the picture with a double-curve, think it'd make more sense for a roof.

(You mean the right version, don't you?) But if so, I think that putting the curves in the middle from two sides together to that you get a half circle on top would possible look better, don't you think?

Just now, Klaus-Dieter said:

(You mean the right version, don't you?) But if so, I think that putting the curves in the middle from two sides together to that you get a half circle on top would possible look better, don't you think?

Of course it could be more like an arch as well.

Something like this : 

Qal6Yfu.png

Edited by TeriXeri

Just now, TeriXeri said:

Of course it could be more like an arch as well.

Something like this : 

Qal6Yfu.png

Yes, that's exactly what I meant, TeriXeri! Either this one or the right one of your first versions. Btw: Thanks for sharing! :classic:

It's such a shame and waste on Lego's part, that the roller coaster tracks are to steep so they can't be used for a city monorail remake...

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this year's diving sets. The polybag is really promising, and hopefully I will be able to grab it.

Edited by brimbolet

Instagram has now a picture OS three minifigs for the summer wave: the already known new diver, a pilot (which wears the torso from the Juniors set two years ago or so - I think) and a police officer with a to me unknown special forces torso.

Couldthis mean that there'll be even a third subtheme or at least one or two sets centered around police special forces?

37 minutes ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

Couldthis mean that there'll be even a third subtheme or at least one or two sets centered around police special forces?

While rescue subthemes are what help City survive, we've already gotten our police subtheme for the year. But that officer might be sold with a Town set or something like that. 

On 4/2/2020 at 9:50 AM, AMD said:

Also, at the bottom left there is a National Geographic logo which means there will be some inspiration about the underwater theme much like how LEGO use space theme as inspiration to NASA

oooh, that gives me hope we will actually see something interesting in terms of locations, like a coral reef

Overall 60255 to 60258 are my four favorite sets. Though I do have to admit that they should've made the red race car driver torso gender neutral instead of curvy for female exclusively. I would've also done a present day nod to the wrecker from set 5592 instead of using the VW van if they wanted to meet a certain piece count. But I still love the van. I actually use it as an undercover steak out vehicle in my town. Otherwise, this year's automotive subtheme is just right for gearheads like myself. 

Well, the latest leaks confirm my main fear - all vehicles, no locations, though I suppose that's par for the course for City :(

I wonder if the boat actually floats... seems like something they're going for recently what with the recent Technic set. And I can't explain why else they would go for such "non-Lego" design with one huge hull piece.

Edited by Huaojozu

Well both leaked sets look hugely disappointing and not a patch on their equivalent 2014 predecessor sets. 

At least the NatGeo stingray/coral/diver polybag looks good value.

Edited by Lucarex