Digger of Bricks

LEGO City 2020 - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

LEGO has an ongoing trend for it's CITY theme. They recycle certain themes quite frequently (police, firemen ...), have some others that appear less often (trains, harbour, airport) and lastly, have had a few one-hit-'wonders' such as arctic, jungle etc.

I generally don't dislike city sets, but I'd like it if LEGO would approach a few things in a different way:
- a bit more focus on infrastructure (roads, buildings ...) and less on vehicules (I don't mind planes, but I don't get why an airport theme has only ONE small airport building). Let's be clear: this does not mean I do not like the vehicules they make.
- there's nothing wrong with police and FD sets. I also understand these sell well with kids, but don't take it to the extreme. I like the different approach (forest, swamp), but it doesn't has to get all sci-fi. They should also include the coast-guard more often
- speaking of sci-fi: arctic, jungle, volcano are all great themes and kids must have had tons of fun with them, but they don't belong in a city line-up. 
 - they neglect (or have neglected) themes that can broaden the CITY's (and kids playing with these sets) horizon. FARM was a great theme, with great play-value had a lot more educational value compared to arctic and volcano. Same goes for harbour. I'd love to see them make a whole line like they did back in the '90s.

This is from a 1991 catalogue:

Lego Castle 1991 - Lego ideeën en Lego

There are only a handful of sets, but they offer great structure and cool vehicles. Even when the town focussed restaurant and monorail are left out, this is amazing. Can't imagine this not selling well.

22 minutes ago, *thomas* said:

FARM was a great theme

Definitely, but as I have said before the reason we have not got it later is because other themes do better in play-tests with children. So say they matched farm with divers and more kids liked divers most that why we get that in summer this year.. Either we can hope than they get more kids growing up on farms for the next testing or hope that this sets gets approved on ideas:wink::
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/299064a7-4585-425b-8ee2-73ab7730c498

55 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

Definitely, but as I have said before the reason we have not got it later is because other themes do better in play-tests with children. So say they matched farm with divers and more kids liked divers most that why we get that in summer this year.. Either we can hope than they get more kids growing up on farms for the next testing or hope that this sets gets approved on ideas:wink::
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/299064a7-4585-425b-8ee2-73ab7730c498

Luckily, I love the divers-themed line-up and I as long as they keep sci-fi out of it, I can see the educational value of it too. I don't consider divers a theme as extreme (in city terms) as volcano or arctic, but I'm not sure if I would link it to the city theme.

Diver theme is one of my all time favorite subthemes in the city line up and you can fit it in a city layout relatively easily if you have and ocean/beach in there. I really hope official pictures of the next wave release soon. I looked for the leaked pics mentionned on the previous page but couldn't find any.

Anyway,

Not specifically related to anything City, but since I can't yet post in the buy/sell/deals forum, if anyone here is in Switzerland, there's a 20CHF coupon on conrad.ch on everything. Picked up a few hidden side, city and creator sets some of which are already the cheapest in the country on that site. Code to use: MCDS2020

Edited by HereWeGoAgain

Picked up the new ice-cream truck today, its a great little set. And its got some nice Dark Azure (a color I can always use more of :)

I just got the set a couple days ago. Really nice build so I took some of my spare parts and designed the ice cream shop that the van goes along with. I can post pics if anybody wants

8 hours ago, *thomas* said:

- a bit more focus on infrastructure (roads, buildings ...) and less on vehicules (I don't mind planes, but I don't get why an airport theme has only ONE small airport building). Let's be clear: this does not mean I do not like the vehicules they make.

I've noticed that City has been hesitant to release a grocery store or post office. Same with a stationary news station. As for the latter, with all the danger that happens in Lego City, I'm certain that there would be a need for a news station of some sort. 

But the other end to that is that vehicles sell better as compared to buildings, which don't sell well - with the exception of police stations, fire stations, hospitals, etc. There is a reason why some buildings are smaller and less noticeable than others such as the doughnut shop and toy store. 

speaking of sci-fi: arctic, jungle, volcano are all great themes and kids must have had tons of fun with them, but they don't belong in a city line-up. 

Action outside of the city is obviously stuff that kids love more than action within the city. The reason I believe they put it under City is because.....well.....they don't really have anywhere else to showcase action outside of the city in a generic way.

But I do agree with this statement as I do with your statement about not taking rescue sets to the extreme. City does focus a bit too much on action outside of the City as compared to what's within. 

I also stated on the previous page that the reason why people are upset about the current state of City is not because it's not diverse enough....but it's because of the type of diversity (too much action outside of the city, not enough infrastructure, all these different types of police, etc). 

I do wish that City would do less subthemes based on action outside of the city and do more subthemes based on action within the city (thus the main themes name) for the 2020s decade. But you can expect that hope to get squashed immediately. Especially on these forums. 

- they neglect (or have neglected) themes that can broaden the CITY's (and kids playing with these sets) horizon. FARM was a great theme, with great play-value had a lot more educational value compared to arctic and volcano. Same goes for harbour. I'd love to see them make a whole line like they did back in the '90s.

I came up with a few subthemes that could help with that. Most of them could actually work if Lego tried. Some may not and will likely just stay in my mind. But I have a right to dream. Don't I? :grin:

Overall, I'm giving you a follow. You seem to be a great person to both discuss things with and agree to disagree with. 

3 hours ago, jonwil said:

Picked up the new ice-cream truck today, its a great little set. And its got some nice Dark Azure (a color I can always use more of :)

That's great man! The one I still have yet to get is the damn safari off roader.Grrr! I'm frustrated because I can't go to the Lego stores because they're closed and no retail stores in my area have it! :iamded_lol:

On 4/8/2020 at 2:43 PM, Brandon Pea said:

@x57bob I personally don't mind the vehicles. Nor am I spiteful of diversity. My only issue is the type of diversity that is promoted. Recently, City seems to be somewhat (not fully) hesitant to give subthemes to action within the City with the exception of Fire, Classic PoliceAirport, Coast Guard and Trains.

All of the other subthemes are outside of the City such as Arctic, Divers, Volcanos, Jungle, Space, Miners, Swamp Police, Mountain Police, Prison Island, Forest Police and Forest Fire. Obviously, action outside of the City is pretty substantial compared to action within the City. I personally would like it if more subthemes were given to action within the City like it used to be in the late 2000s for City.

@xxix5 I have to agree. I don't really care for named characters myself. I preferred it when City was generic when it came to minifigs. Nowadays, City is practically on the level of Hidden Side and Friends. That is to say, generic as a theme but with named characters. 

Sorry if I'm rambling. Just thought I'd say I agree. 

I don't mind the named figures as much, as we have yet to get any figures from LEGO City Undercover other than Chase McCain, but other than that, I don't want any named figures. What they could do is put the named figures from the show in the Juniors sets, and leave the main sets mostly named-character free.

1 hour ago, xxix5 said:

I don't mind the named figures as much, as we have yet to get any figures from LEGO City Undercover other than Chase McCain, but other than that, I don't want any named figures. What they could do is put the named figures from the show in the Juniors sets, and leave the main sets mostly named-character free.

I can work with that. I was hoping to see Rex Fury and Natalia Kowalski in Lego form. Though we did get a character similar to Rex Fury in the 2018 police wave. You know? The guy who was in underwear. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

2 hours ago, Brandon Pea said:

I can work with that. I was hoping to see Rex Fury and Natalia Kowalski in Lego form. Though we did get a character similar to Rex Fury in the 2018 police wave. You know? The guy who was in underwear. 

Couldn't find that figure, as the only one in the 2018 police wave was the guy with the beard and long hair, but I'm kinda surprised we didn't get Rex as part of the 2017 set 60138 High-speed Chase, as that would have been the set to release him in, and I think not making Frank Honey is a missed opprotunity, as he was one of the best characters in the game (and, I would say, along with Chase, one of the best non-licensed characters LEGO has ever created). I mean, how hard would it be to just make a set called "Undercover Chase" or something like that and include Chief Dunby, Chase McCain (I would prefer the original light blue torso design), Frank Honey, Natalia Kowalski, Ellie Phillips, and Rex Fury? Maybe they could release a LEGO City Undercover police station if they release a sequel to the game (which I gave some brief ideas for a sequel map on a new topic I think under the LEGO Media area). 

i really hope that LEGO remake the construction sets, we haven´t those since 2015 with demolition sets and i really want to see a new subtheme of construction

Edited by BrickCitizen

13 hours ago, BrickCitizen said:

i really hope that LEGO remake the construction sets, we haven´t those since 2015 with demolition sets and i really want to see a new subtheme of construction

Me too. I really wanna see that towing subtheme from 2009 come back. 

I'm giving you a follow since I see you're a City fan. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

The "HEY" generation was the best of City sets. There will never be another one of those. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

On 4/10/2020 at 9:38 PM, danimarroquin said:

I really hope we get really good remodelled new planes this time ! 

I second your thoughts, especially for collorful acrobatic ones.

5 hours ago, Brandon Pea said:

The "HEY" generation was the best of City sets. There will never be another one of those. 

Couldn't agree more. When did LEGO ditch that? 2018? 

These ads are just not the same without the 'HEY'... They completly changed the format too, which I'm not a fan of. 

Edited by AnyColourYouLike

Lol the pizza part had me laughing.

I wish Lego would make some more buildings for the city theme. I just recently got the Creator townhouse toy store, which is super detailed and looks amazing next to larger buildings or modulars. And in the city theme, the only sets that have decent buildings are $70. Lego should make city a complete theme with sets from vehicles to houses to businesses.

But at the end of the day, it leaves me open to make my own things, which is a lot more rewarding than going out and spending money

1 hour ago, AnyColourYouLike said:

Couldn't agree more. When did LEGO ditch that? 2018? 

Yeah! 2018 was when they stopped. Because in 2017, they were still using it. Only they were saying "HEY!!!! We need a build!". Still not as good as just the plain "HEY!!!!" though. 

1 hour ago, AnyColourYouLike said:

These ads are just not the same without the 'HEY'... They completly changed the format too, which I'm not a fan of. 

Yeah! Let me be one of the first on here to say that I don't really care for the new format. The ones where the set is in the city were more entertaining. Especially from 2005 to 2016. I kinda wish they would've kept that format. 

41 minutes ago, x57bob said:

I wish Lego would make some more buildings for the city theme. I just recently got the Creator townhouse toy store, which is super detailed and looks amazing next to larger buildings or modulars. And in the city theme, the only sets that have decent buildings are $70. Lego should make city a complete theme with sets from vehicles to houses to businesses.

I would agree. Tbh, I think the designers of City sets should focus more on action within the City. I did a talley chart and it shows that nowadays, most of the action is based outside of the city, even though it's called City. That's counting the police that are based outside of the City and some of the great vehicles, people packs and some one off sets such as the ski patrol set....and I wanted to say that so it wouldn't sound like I was being biased towards the explorers sets. The latter, I actually like. 

For me personally, I would give each first responder subtheme (police, fire and medical), a guaranteed three year rotation statu just like it was from 2005 to 2014. That would be more efficient and it would make double the doe that Lego makes off of their City sets now.

Currently, medical workers get a 6 year rotation status and police comes out every year. Fire is the only first responders subtheme that gets 3 year right now. Not too fond of that system. But what can I do about it? I'm just a fan. Unless they read what they see on here and on social media. 

Personally, I would like to see certain City subthemes return such as Harbor, Farm, Construction, Garage and Cargo. Maybe even some lines of work tworihave never gotten their own subtheme like the postal service (even though City has made mail vehicles before), the transit system (even though City has made buses before) and maybe sanitation business (though we did get a pretty neat street sweeper this year). Do I see these selling pretty well? Well....considering that children love vehicles....yes! But do I think they will happen? Probably not. 

But I agree with you 100%. City is diverse, but the type of diversity is kinda getting boring. 

1 hour ago, Brandon Pea said:

Yeah! 2018 was when they stopped. Because in 2017, they were still using it. Only they were saying "HEY!!!! We need a build!". Still not as good as just the plain "HEY!!!!" though. 

Yeah! Let me be one of the first on here to say that I don't really care for the new format. The ones where the set is in the city were more entertaining. Especially from 2005 to 2016. I kinda wish they would've kept that format. 

I would agree. Tbh, I think the designers of City sets should focus more on action within the City. I did a talley chart and it shows that nowadays, most of the action is based outside of the city, even though it's called City. That's counting the police that are based outside of the City and some of the great vehicles, people packs and some one off sets such as the ski patrol set....and I wanted to say that so it wouldn't sound like I was being biased towards the explorers sets. The latter, I actually like. 

For me personally, I would give each first responder subtheme (police, fire and medical), a guaranteed three year rotation statu just like it was from 2005 to 2014. That would be more efficient and it would make double the doe that Lego makes off of their City sets now.

Currently, medical workers get a 6 year rotation status and police comes out every year. Fire is the only first responders subtheme that gets 3 year right now. Not too fond of that system. But what can I do about it? I'm just a fan. Unless they read what they see on here and on social media. 

Personally, I would like to see certain City subthemes return such as Harbor, Farm, Construction, Garage and Cargo. Maybe even some lines of work tworihave never gotten their own subtheme like the postal service (even though City has made mail vehicles before), the transit system (even though City has made buses before) and maybe sanitation business (though we did get a pretty neat street sweeper this year). Do I see these selling pretty well? Well....considering that children love vehicles....yes! But do I think they will happen? Probably not. 

But I agree with you 100%. City is diverse, but the type of diversity is kinda getting boring. 

Perhaps they could split off those subthemes and sets that are outside the city and call them Outdoors or something to keep City just about city stuff. I don't think it'll happen, but these are just my 2 cents on this subject.

14 hours ago, Salix said:

Perhaps they could split off those subthemes and sets that are outside the city and call them Outdoors or something to keep City just about city stuff. I don't think it'll happen, but these are just my 2 cents on this subject.

You know what's amazing! Outdoors was in my mind too for those kinds of sets. Then City could stick to action within the city limits like catching a criminal, fighting a fire, saving a life or getting people from one place to another. But like you, I also squashed the idea as its mot likely to happen. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

Impatient to see the new summer Divers sets, given the several aquatic animal leaks. Compared to other years, how far in advance have City sets been previewed?

On 4/10/2020 at 1:41 AM, xxix5 said:

I mean, how hard would it be to just make a set called "Undercover Chase" or something like that and include Chief Dunby, Chase McCain (I would prefer the original light blue torso design), Frank Honey, Natalia Kowalski, Ellie Phillips, and Rex Fury? 

That would make perfect people pack! Throw in some other background characters like Forest Blackwell, maybe some of Rex's goons, Vinnie Pappalardo, some of the undercover cops (Studski and Clutch, DaMumbo) and there you go! 

It would also work as Collectible Minifigures Series. The game was a huge succes, so I have no idea why we got nothing, even after the release of the remastered edition in 2017. 

14 minutes ago, AnyColourYouLike said:

The game was a huge succes, so I have no idea why we got nothing, even after the release of the remastered edition in 2017. 

Would've been awesome if City Undercover became an actual TV series instead of City Adventures. Or if Chase McCain was the main character instead of Duke DeTain. 

Edited by Brandon Pea