Digger of Bricks

LEGO City 2020 - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

7 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

I do hope they won't make the same mistake as 2015 and put a large airplane or something in the Base set. 

An Airplane doesn't add much to an underwater theme imo, the helicopter could still transport the cage / submarine / drone, but an airplane taking a lot of budget from an underwater base just inflated the price.

You could make an undersea scene out of the plane!

1 hour ago, Bornin1980something said:

You could make an undersea scene out of the plane!

Oh you could pretend that the plane itself crashed into the sea! LOL

Personally, when I buy a set, I buy it to build what's on THAT box and I mod it if need be. But I don't buy sets just for that parts. I have Bricklink for that. When I MOC, I build my buildings from the bottom up with loose bricks that I get from the classic brick boxes. If I don't like it, I'm going to speak. Tbh, I am sick of people saying that I complain. I'm simply making my observations about a set or a group of sets in an honest and straightforward manner. 

Why not pics are available?

Why Lego spends a lot in the best toy fair and they deviate the focus to the house of dots in London?

Do you know who is talking about Lego in Spain? A gossip magazine called cuore

How many adult women are going to buy dots products? Because pre teen girls are not the target of cuore magazine

And how many dots products they have forecasted that they are going to sell, to focus all the attention on it (because all dots sets cost less than a big friends or city set)

All the other brands dying for having maximum diffusion of their products and Lego hidding them 

This has no sense for me

Edited by El Garfio

My only disappointment is that I was hoping for a forest explorers subtheme with ancient castle ruins and hidden treasure. At least it would give us some closure with castle and pirates. Though closure with the latter can be done in Divers, which is supposed to return in the summer. 

On 2/1/2020 at 4:06 PM, Brandon Pea said:

My only disappointment is that I was hoping for a forest explorers subtheme with ancient castle ruins and hidden treasure. At least it would give us some closure with castle and pirates. Though closure with the latter can be done in Divers, which is supposed to return in the summer. 

To be fair, they just did jungle explorers which would pretty much be the same no? 

Frankly I can't see Lego not bringing back pirates again in their own lineup at some point. The good thing is we're getting 2 pirate sets this year: the bay and a creator pirate ship. 

I wish they focused more on the locations and less on all of the various vehicles. If I want another plane, car, boat or whatever, there are plenty of sets that provide just that. But if the theme is Ocean Exploration and the vast majority of pieces is used on yet another above sea ship, that's just disappointing. It seems that a set focused on coral reefs would hit all the major notes Lego is going for - green, sustainability, colorful - throw in a couple fish and a shark and you can play hide and seek within the reefs, just like real life.

This has been a trend in all the "exploration" themes so far - 50 piece location add-on and a couple of cars. 

1 hour ago, Huaojozu said:

I wish they focused more on the locations and less on all of the various vehicles. If I want another plane, car, boat or whatever, there are plenty of sets that provide just that.

I agree 100%. You must understand though that vehicles are what keep the City theme alive, especially vehicles centered around first responders. I wish more focus was put on the transport industry though - since vehicles is obviously a thing with City. Airport is coming so hopefully that changes. I have my doubts though since City is almost always only known for their sets centered around rescuing, exploring and discovery. So the most focus we'll probably get on the transport industry would probably be trains, airport or some sets under town or great vehicles.  

1 hour ago, Huaojozu said:

But if the theme is Ocean Exploration and the vast majority of pieces is used on yet another above sea ship, that's just disappointing.

Well.....it is called ocean exploration. We'll get some submarines according to the official list though. 

12 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

I agree 100%. You must understand though that vehicles are what keep the City theme alive, especially vehicles centered around first responders. I wish more focus was put on the transport industry though - since vehicles is obviously a thing with City. Airport is coming so hopefully that changes. I have my doubts though since City is almost always only known for their sets centered around rescuing, exploring and discovery. So the most focus we'll probably get on the transport industry would probably be trains, airport or some sets under town or great vehicles. 

Sure, I understand Police/Fire vehicles are a must have for children. All I am asking for is that the larger sets are more focused on the environment and less on vehicles, as those the kids will have from the smaller sets anyway. Something like the recent Hospital set, where the building was the main focus, with the Heli and Ambulance in supporting roles. I don't think there is a single set that would be purely focused on a natural location in any of Lego's themes - let's say a large forest, meadow or mountain. It could serve as a place to put all the other sets in the theme into. Taking the Ocean Exploration theme as an example, you could have a large coral reef set and then a bunch of small-medium sized sets that can be displayed/played with alongside that coral reef set. Currently it feels like all of the sets are very same-y; just a paintjob on a vehicle on a couple pieces to drive home the theme.

11 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

Well.....it is called ocean exploration. We'll get some submarines according to the official list though. 

True and I am very excited for those. I would just have preferred if the largest set was submarine focused, instead of the two smaller ones - that basically means the scale will be waaaay too small.

That’s very disappointed about the airport and passenger plane . Was really hoping for a more realistic airport , and a jet more similar to a A330 or 787 ! Hopefully the set would come with a new cockpit mold and not the one that is being used for over 2 decades . new bigger engines would be good to have too . 

1 hour ago, danimarroquin said:

That’s very disappointed about the airport and passenger plane . Was really hoping for a more realistic airport , and a jet more similar to a A330 or 787 ! Hopefully the set would come with a new cockpit mold and not the one that is being used for over 2 decades . new bigger engines would be good to have too . 

How do you know its not going to happen? The $50 airport set could have more focus on the building with the airplane playing a supporting role. The big airplane is separate and I'm going to assume that it's going to include some kind of tower. Put those two together and you've got an airport. Then there is the plane race. 

1 hour ago, Brandon Pea said:

How do you know its not going to happen? The $50 airport set could have more focus on the building with the airplane playing a supporting role. The big airplane is separate and I'm going to assume that it's going to include some kind of tower. Put those two together and you've got an airport. Then there is the plane race. 

Hate to dissapoint but according to the source, $50 airport is a 4+ set. 

I hope I'm wrong though.

https://brickset.com/article/48643/2020-summer-set-summary

26 minutes ago, AMD said:

Hate to dissapoint but according to the source, $50 airport is a 4+ set. 

You're not disappointing anyone. It could still be made into a full air terminal. 

2018 Juniors had a €50 Airport set (which just retired in December 2019) and it turned out like this.

I don't think this is a bad playset, and certainly could still add to a larger airport.

I never bought it, but I do like the bagage handling section/cart and figures/accesoires.

10764_alt4.jpg

Edited by TeriXeri

On another note, it seems like people have gotten what they wanted after all. All of the $10 sets for City use printed pieces instead of stickers. 

Just now, TeriXeri said:

2018 4+ had a €50 Airport set (which just retired in December 2019) and it turned out like this.

I don't think this is a terrible playset, and certainly could still add to a larger airport.

I never bought it, but I do like the bagage handling section/cart and figures/accesoires.

They should make a 7+ version of that. It'll probably go for the same price as the Coast Guard Headquarters from 2017. 

38 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

They should make a 7+ version of that. It'll probably go for the same price as the Coast Guard Headquarters from 2017. 

We'll see how the €100 Airport set turns out.

They say it has a building as well with using some rollercoaster track roof.

And a red car that can be loaded via ramp at the back of the airplane.

But of course a 7+ airport terminal focused set would be nice.

Friends is also getting a €70 Airplane, wonder how that turns out, I wonder if that means that Friends and Minifig themes are getting more overlap on shelves.

Friends Airplane in the same year as City 2020.

Friends Underwater Rescue 2019 should still be on shelves when 2020 City Sea Research comes out, 2019 also had City Diving Yacht, and 3-in-1 Deepsea creatures/Underwater Robot.

Friends theme park sets on shelves alongside Creator 3-in-1 themepark sets in 2019. (2018 Pirate Roller Coaster just retired however)

Maybe just coincidence but interesting.

Edited by TeriXeri

1 hour ago, Brandon Pea said:

All of the $10 sets for City use printed pieces instead of stickers. 

That is nice - I HATE stickers. Hard to apply 100% straight and (they used to) crack and fall off over time.

3 hours ago, vclarke said:

That is nice - I HATE stickers. Hard to apply 100% straight and (they used to) crack and fall off over time.

Personally, I wouldn't mind of all City sets had printed pieces instead of stickers. Though I do understand why they won't do that. That way, I'd have a choice between whether I want to apply them or not. 

21 hours ago, vclarke said:

Same, I cant stand stickers and rarely apply them. Printed pieces just feel so much nicer. Using the brick separator / washing up liquid method you can get them fairly precise but its a lot of effort and always feels like a waste of a piece! 

5 minutes ago, electropie said:

Same, I cant stand stickers and rarely apply them. Printed pieces just feel so much nicer. Using the brick separator / washing up liquid method you can get them fairly precise but its a lot of effort and always feels like a waste of a piece! 

I don't think the sticker issue is a big deal like most people make it out to be. While I have had that issue of not applying them straight, it hardly happens and I have never had the issue of them rotting or falling off. Then again, I keep my builds clean. 

Though I do have to admit that I would prefer printed pieces. 

40 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

I don't think the sticker issue is a big deal like most people make it out to be. While I have had that issue of not applying them straight, it hardly happens and I have never had the issue of them rotting or falling off. Then again, I keep my builds clean. 

Though I do have to admit that I would prefer printed pieces. 

Yeah, you're right — I guess my point is that while its possible to get them accurate and straight, it feels like a bit of a cop-out. Compared to the modular buildings where everything is printed, applying stickers to a £200+ technic set just feels kinda cheap! Thought saying that, having stickers is probably better for parting out. Argh! *huh*

44 minutes ago, electropie said:

Yeah, you're right — I guess my point is that while its possible to get them accurate and straight, it feels like a bit of a cop-out. Compared to the modular buildings where everything is printed, applying stickers to a £200+ technic set just feels kinda cheap! Thought saying that, having stickers is probably better for parting out. Argh! *huh*

That is true. I would often have to put rulers around my parts so that I could apply the stickers properly. 

Do we know what color plane the normal Airplane and Airport set is? I'm just curious.