Digger of Bricks

LEGO City 2020 - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

2009 is one of the few paper catalogs I have from that era, and indeed the Farm stands out.

Back to current City :

In 2019, the Downtown Fire set had a Fair poster tile, and we got a Fair People Pack.

As for 2020, I have yet to discover if there's some hint in a set already.

The only thing I could think of is Sports, with the Service Station having a Soccer Match on the TV screen, see sticker 5.

60257stk01.png

2019 LEGO City magazine had a comic about a soccer stadium as well even while it was more about lawnmowing and the included mini-set.

2020 would be the 20th anniversary of the official LEGO Soccer sets which came out in 2000 (I don't count Shell Promotional sets as those were very localized)

I still have the year 2000 special edition of Championships Challenge with 5 extra Orange shirt minifigs representing The Netherlands, as the European Championship was in NL/Belgium that year, and for 2020 it's hosted all across Europe.

soc095.gif

Xtra also made a sports polybag, but soccer is missing.

And Creator Expert also gets the Manchester United Stadium set.

Edited by TeriXeri

10 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

@TeriXeri So you think there may be a sports related set this summer? 

Maybe, would be cool to have a set combine TV and Soccer, and previous soccer sets did have cameramen.

The sticker says TV and Live.

Set 3408 from 2000

3408-1.png

Edited by TeriXeri

Bear in mind that we ARE getting a Soccer Stadium d2c this year based on the leaks out there.

37 minutes ago, jonwil said:

Bear in mind that we ARE getting a Soccer Stadium d2c this year based on the leaks out there.

Yes, it's a €250+ model , but that still could bring Soccer/Sports related minifig sets somewhere else, like City, 2020 is also a year of Tokyo Summer Olympics.

153px-2020_Summer_Olympics_logo_new.svg.

If they can do jungle, volcano, deep sea, space, sports doesn't sound too weird, especially with their own Sports brand in recent sets (2018 mountain biker, 2019 Ski Resort, 2020 racecar), and the figures in on the sticker also having red/white shirt.

Not saying all sets have to be soccer either, the Fair people pack/sticker was only 1 set as well.

Edited by TeriXeri

1 hour ago, TeriXeri said:

If they can do jungle, volcano, deep sea, space, sports doesn't sound too weird,

While on the same topic. Lego could at least throw in basketball as well since they apply to the city a little in the big set 60200 Capital City

If lego can make Old Trafford, why not TLG collaborate with NBA and try building basketball stadiums too.

@Brandon Pea Regarding your profile, its only a backdrop. It doesn't change on who you are as a person and there is nothing wrong with a choice of color :wink:

Edited by AMD

Oh yeah, just remembered the 2020 Police Station also has sports via Table Tennis and Chief Wheeler on Skateboard :wink: 

Both are Olympic sports.

Edited by TeriXeri

26 minutes ago, AMD said:

@Brandon Pea Regarding your profile, its only a backdrop. It doesn't change on who you are as a person and there is nothing wrong with a choice of color :wink:

Ok. It was green before though. 

All the same, I'm not gonna pick up the mail plane. But I do need the updated postal worker's torso. So I'm ordering that one online. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

After a quick review of this years City wave, not a whole lot I am planning on purchasing  The street sweeper and the monster truck most likely will pick up for the kids.  Hoping we get  some farm stuff later this year!

On 1/12/2020 at 4:24 AM, TeriXeri said:

2009 is one of the few paper catalogs I have from that era, and indeed the Farm stands out.

Back to current City :

In 2019, the Downtown Fire set had a Fair poster tile, and we got a Fair People Pack.

As for 2020, I have yet to discover if there's some hint in a set already.

The only thing I could think of is Sports, with the Service Station having a Soccer Match on the TV screen, see sticker 5.

60257stk01.png

2019 LEGO City magazine had a comic about a soccer stadium as well even while it was more about lawnmowing and the included mini-set.

2020 would be the 20th anniversary of the official LEGO Soccer sets which came out in 2000 (I don't count Shell Promotional sets as those were very localized)

I still have the year 2000 special edition of Championships Challenge with 5 extra Orange shirt minifigs representing The Netherlands, as the European Championship was in NL/Belgium that year, and for 2020 it's hosted all across Europe.

soc095.gif

Xtra also made a sports polybag, but soccer is missing.

And Creator Expert also gets the Manchester United Stadium set.

I dont think city would do a soccer/sports subtheme. it just doesnt sound normal for city.

Edited by toopizza13

3 hours ago, toopizza13 said:

I dont think city would do a soccer/sports subtheme. it just doesnt sound normal for city.

I would agree. The cops, eskimos, astronauts, firefighters and criminals are what's normal for City. 

Except....I said the same about my line of work (the automotive industry). But look at what we've got now for City. We got an entire subtheme dedicated to the auto industry called Turbo Wheels. This is actually the second City subtheme focused on the automotive industry since 2009, that being the Garage subtheme. 

I'd think that a sports subtheme wouldn't be too far behind. 

To be honest, the 60246 Police Station is starting to grow on me. I may have to make some modifications for it to fit my town. But they turned out to be minor after seeing a quick build and review video. 

lego-police-station-set-60246-15-3.jpg

Edited by Brandon Pea

On 1/12/2020 at 10:49 AM, TeriXeri said:

Yes, it's a €250+ model , but that still could bring Soccer/Sports related minifig sets somewhere else, like City, 2020 is also a year of Tokyo Summer Olympics.

I don't think the Old Trafford set provides anything new that could be used in a sports theme.

Although I would like to see a minifigure pack containing summer sports players - many sports have been done before if only as one-offs in the CMF, so things like football (as in soccer), rugby, american football, golf, tennis, some athletics (track), maybe basketball and baseball. Although it would be nice to see a new part for a cricket bat and that would be ideal if LEGO wanted to expand sales in India. All with generic tops / outfits.

I'm not sure I'd want to see a whole theme though. After all, it is really the figures and their sports accessories that are important here, so as long as they provided two different style football tops (red vs blue, or stripes vs hoops, or similar) that would be fine for football (plus the ball obviously). Same for any team type sports. Whites for tennis and cricket. Bibs for athletes. I'm not so sure they need lots of building parts to go with them like you might get in a theme. Unless each set came with a small part of a stand / benches / bleachers that could be assembled into something larger if you had more than one set. And past Sports themes often have those awful pitch parts to turn them into games, I'd hope if they did Sports in City they would be avoided. There are much better table top games like Subbuteo for LEGO not to try that again.

A cricket player in the CMF would absolutely make sense given how many people on this planet (even kids) like the sport and I am surprised we haven't gotten one yet.

46 minutes ago, jonwil said:

A cricket player in the CMF would absolutely make sense given how many people on this planet (even kids) like the sport and I am surprised we haven't gotten one yet.

Plus zombies need killing, Shaun of the Dead style.

16 hours ago, toopizza13 said:

It doesn't need to be a full subtheme, could be a single set like the Ski Resort or People Pack as well.

Outdoor People Pack was fairly sports themed, and the Park People pack had 2 small goals and a ball.

Edited by TeriXeri

2 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

It doesn't need to be a full subtheme, could be a single set like the Ski Resort or People Pack as well.

Outdoor People Pack was fairly sports themed, and the Park People pack had 2 small goals and a ball.

I wonder if I can still find one of those basketball sets on Bricklink. In my opinion, any line of work that really appeals to boys (i.e. cops, firefighters, automotive, pilots, sailors, athletes, etc) deserves a subtheme under City. Perhaps the designers of City sets just doesn't know that there may be little boys that are interested in a sports subtheme. That's our job as older fans - to get the younger ones interested. However, considering that there wouldn't be any vehicles......it probably wouldn't fit what City wants to push. Don't forget that In/Out subthemes exist for a reason. They are one and done. If Lego can't keep it for City, then it could be a one year special. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

Any news on this year's people packs?

There were two last year - personally hoping for Fun on Safari, Fun at the Zoo, fun at the Orchestra or fun at the Ice Rink

50 minutes ago, lifeinplastic said:

There were two last year - personally hoping for Fun on Safari, Fun at the Zoo, fun at the Orchestra or fun at the Ice Rink

I hope one of the people packs that's released this year is a downtown people pack with different works like the one that was released in 2005. 

2 hours ago, lifeinplastic said:

Official Pictures of City Summer sets were known around April 2019 last year, also no set names yet.

Safari/Zoo would be great. (more animals is never a bad thing)

And if deep sea returns as the explore sub theme for this year (as has been rumored) there is every chance we could get that whale that was supposed to be in the Arctic sets but got canceled.