Digger of Bricks

LEGO City 2020 - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

Some Lego themes are for kids. Some target an older crowd. City is just that theme that's in the middle. They target everyone. Winter 2020 seems to be a sign of that. 

I'm standing by my statement. Winter 2020 is the best that we've gotten in a while. Summer 2019 was good too though. 

On 12/23/2019 at 2:17 PM, pooda said:

Some Lego themes are for kids. Some target an older crowd. City is just that theme that's in the middle. They target everyone. Winter 2020 seems to be a sign of that. 

I'm standing by my statement. Winter 2020 is the best that we've gotten in a while. Summer 2019 was good too though. 

City is very much for children. Always has been, always should be. It is the basis of the Lego system of play. 

This is exactly how I like it. If it isn't for children, it isn't for me either. That said, I notice they have just dropped the upper age range on the boxes. Merry Christmas. 

Just now, Bornin1980something said:

City is very much for children. Always has been, always should be. It is the basis of the Lego system of play. 

Then how come back in 2006 to 2009, they had lots of sets that wouldn't appeal to children? 

This is exactly how I like it. If it isn't for children, it isn't for me either.

Are you a KFOL?

That said, I notice they have just dropped the upper age range on the boxes. Merry Christmas. 

That's what I mean. They stopped putting the age limitations on there. Judging from some of the sets, it seems like they are listening to TFOLs too. 

Merry Christmas to you too!

^I'm over 30. But I started out as a KFOL! I hope lego can still give my niece and nephew what it gave me. City is actually by far the oldest lego line there is, with the 1955 town plan predating even stud and tube bricks! 

Interesting that you mention TFOLs. I tried to be a TFOL, but that was during the crisis which started with Town Jr, then tried to replace Town the ridiculous Jack Stone playsets. I was relieved to see the return to form in the early City sets I saw on the shelves, but I only returned to collecting after seeing The Lego Movie. 

Why do you think some of the 2006 - 2009 City sets won't appeal to kids?

1 hour ago, Bornin1980something said:

Why do you think some of the 2006 - 2009 City sets won't appeal to kids?

Lets look at the short lived subthemes of that era.

No disrespect to my profession, but the garage sets from 2009 obviously didn't appeal to kids very much as it was short lived and not too much action other than the functions was present. 

Farm, Cargo and Harbor wouldn't really seem to gain today's kids attention either. My assumption is that 2006 to 2009 was a different era than it is today. 

Today, we live in an era where kids can't sit still and play unless something dangerous or adrenaline exciting situation like a robbery, natural disaster or a fire is happening. 

Sure, we had police and rescue sets back in 2006 to 2009, but they weren't as prominent as they are now. That's pretty much because.... there wasn't really a huge market for them then as there is now. 

I don't really care for the new system that Lego uses for City (neither do my kids) as due to the repetitive "Police, Great Vehicles, Explorers" system they have now can make it seem like there is barely any other lines of work in Lego City. 

Edited by pooda

On 12/25/2019 at 1:39 AM, pooda said:

Lets look at the short lived subthemes of that era.

No disrespect to my profession, but the garage sets from 2009 obviously didn't appeal to kids very much as it was short lived and not too much action other than the functions was present. 

Farm, Cargo and Harbor wouldn't really seem to gain today's kids attention either. My assumption is that 2006 to 2009 was a different era than it is today. 

Today, we live in an era where kids can't sit still and play unless something dangerous or adrenaline exciting situation like a robbery, natural disaster or a fire is happening. 

Sure, we had police and rescue sets back in 2006 to 2009, but they weren't as prominent as they are now. That's pretty much because.... there wasn't really a huge market for them then as there is now. 

I don't really care for the new system that Lego uses for City (neither do my kids) as due to the repetitive "Police, Great Vehicles, Explorers" system they have now can make it seem like there is barely any other lines of work in Lego City. 

Looking through all the City years on Bricklink, I suspect City had its peak in 2010, when it actually included a family house and a private car. Since then, I suspect Friends has taken much of the market for everyday play, and Creator the market for enthusiastic builders. City has learned more towards 'boy's' action oriented play, though Friends also appears to be adding some action and adventure lately. 

That said, as a KFOL my own play could be action oriented. One of my favourite games was 'crashing' lego planes by simply dropping them! I later 'crash tested' cars with a non-lego catapult (judging them by how loose the minifig came).  I have a few cracked elements. The difference back then was, Classic Town only provided the material, not the exact scenarios. For instance, I hate all the uniformed crooks! Why can't the crook wear something different, like no paaaaaaants!

paaaaaaaants01.jpg

2 hours ago, Bornin1980something said:

City has learned more towards 'boy's' action oriented play, though Friends also appears to be adding some action and adventure lately. 

With that being said, I'm glad another theme with my line of work has emerged for 2020. That being the new auto subtheme. I've just obtained a new mechanic job. 

Since we're talking boy action, I'm expecting Lego to bring back CoastGuard and Airport next year. Summer 2021 would be it's time to be released considering that the appropriate amount of years would've passed (4 and 5 years respectively). 

Edited by pooda

Last few years we did not have Service station (60257). I also like 60252 construction site and sweeping truck (60249) so much !! I will get 2-3 of 60249 to be put on the road plate

and also 60254 the race boat transporter, in which I am very expecting. In 2019 we have harvest transporter I like it but it's quite weird to have a harvest truck in the city....

Book store!!! Great! I don't like the brown color of the Garage corner in 2019 !!

Will burn a lot of money in January!!!!

Happy new year all

what i think these sets will be:

60260 - 60266 - themed sets (space, arctic, oceans type sets)

60268 - Town 2 - doughnut shop opening type set

60271 - Town D2C - capital city type set

60272 - people pack

60273 - people pack with themeed sets

60274 - $30 vehicle (fire chief response type set)

i think this year there could be 2 years, because there is 7 sets in the in/out section.

those extra sets could be the return of cargo or airport considering those only use 2 - 3 sets.

44 minutes ago, toopizza13 said:

those extra sets could be the return of cargo or airport considering those only use 2 - 3 sets.

Cargo is likely. Airport comes out every five years and the last wave was in 2016. So the next one would be in 2021 alongside Coast Guard, which comes out every four years; the last wave being in 2017. What awesomeness that would be in summer 2021. City's prize water related subtheme working side by side with City's prize air-related subtheme. I'm also wagering on a harbor for this year's standalone town set due to the magnet piece and its potential to help this line of work sell among children. 

47 minutes ago, toopizza13 said:

i think this year there could be 2 years, because there is 7 sets in the in/out section.

In/Out is usually a subtheme that's one and done - like as in its not likely to return so I don't think its an explorers subtheme as those are kinda guaranteed every year. I think it'll be based on a line of work that is NOT that popular with children. Probably a 50/50 split between two subthemes that include three sets each or something like a transport theme or something like that.

Theres also been a trend in recent years of reviving past 'non city themes under City.

I noticed in 60203 Ski Resort and the new 60254 Race Boat Transporter that the 'xtreme' name is quite prominent in them.

Also the theme appears quite a lot in the sports orientated sets in Lego city as of the last few years.

Then theres the Safari off roader that feels very much of a remake of 6672 from 1990.

It might just be me but it feels like they're playing the nostalgia angle a bit lately, not that its a bad thing.

5 minutes ago, Koori said:

It might just be me but it feels like they're playing the nostalgia angle a bit lately, not that its a bad thing.

No it isn't a bad thing. They only do one explorers subtheme a year and its kinda guaranteed.

But I would like to see more subthemes based in the city other than just the rescue sets and the town sets. The automotive industry subtheme is an awesome start to that in my opinion - and I'm not just saying that because I'm a mechanic. LOL 

Airport is scheduled to return summer 2021 as it comes every 5 years. 2021 will also see the return of coast guard as that one is on 4 year rotation. But 2020 just started so let's not go ahead of Lego. 

I hope the In/out subtheme is a Harbor one.  

My short review on set number 60257. 

I was actually willing to give this set a perfect score. But after looking at the service station much closer following my purchase of it, the building doesn't really impress me too much. I actually ended up using this set just for the vehicles and the gas pumps. The minifigures and cat mold were also useful as well. I also re did the electric charging station. The pieces from the building, I redid into a vending machine because to be frank, I don't really need a building for the service station in my town. Overall, this set gets a 98% percent from me, which is still an A. Next week, I'll be picking up the flagship set of the Race subtheme - the 60258 Tuning Workshop. I'm determined to collect all four of those sets. 

Edited by pooda

Oh yeah. I also picked up the 60255 Stunt Team and 60256 Racing Cars. I love how City is doing more vehicle packs now. The guys from the Stunt Team are actually going to be part of a illegal street racing gang in my town. I'm going to add the race cars the various other competition vehicles I have in my collection from previous City waves.

Edited by pooda

On 12/30/2019 at 2:42 PM, toopizza13 said:

60268 - Town 2 - doughnut shop opening type set

60271 - Town D2C - capital city type set

If that's the case, 2020 would totally be the best wave in ages. Two town planning sets in one wave. The City set designers are really rewarding us for remaining loyal through the dark ages. 

Edited by pooda

My rank of choice

1. Lego 60252 (Construction bulldozer). I've been expecting anything about construction for so long. I have got a lot of construction workers and I hope to put them in my city!

2. Lego 60250 (Mail Plane). I think Lego hasn't released anything about postage for quite many years!

3. Lego 60249 (Street Sweeper). Very beautiful nice small value truck that I can buy a lot to put on the road plates everywhere to keep my city clean. 

4. Lego 60257 (Service Station). I should get it, but not too soon. The price per piece is still high for this set now, I can wait for deals or discounts.

What I will probably not buy

1. Lego 60267

2. Lego 60258

3. Lego 60253 (In fact I like ice cream truck but I don't like to take care of too many stickers)

4.Lego 60243 (I like Police and Helicopter, but it looks like there is not much difference compared to other Police helicopters of recent years that I already have got.)

6 minutes ago, ks6349 said:

2. Lego 60250 (Mail Plane). I think Lego hasn't released anything about postage for quite many years!

I plan to get that one too. I'm going to build a post office MOC to complement it. 

But....I see you're not going to buy the tuning workshop. May I ask why? 

12 hours ago, pooda said:

I plan to get that one too. I'm going to build a post office MOC to complement it. 

But....I see you're not going to buy the tuning workshop. May I ask why? 

I personally hate stickers and the tuning shop looks like having too many stickers on the major parts

Service station may also have a lot of stickers but I think they are not in significant position which would not affect the overall appearance

But generally speaking, I have got most of the Lego City and Creator Expert of recent years and in most cases unless it does not have too many elements that I don't like e.g. forest / jungle or prison in police station (I've got NO police stations with prison) I will probably also get it when the price is right.

I've also got some sets I don't like too much but they were on a real great deal on Amazon. e.g. the Creator 3in1 modular buildings

On my list, there are "Must buy", "Must NOT buy" and "Probably buy, but not a must”

Edited by ks6349

@ks6349 That's understandable. Tomorrow morning, I'm headed to the Lego store to pick up my tuning shop. My initial plan when I went there last Wednesday was to get the entire racing collection (60255 to 60258). But they didn't have 60258 on the shelves yet. So i just got 60255 to 60257. Getting 60258 tomorrow. 

FYI the new City sets are now available at the LEGO stores here in Brisbane (and probably the ones in Sydney and Melbourne too)

4 hours ago, jonwil said:

FYI the new City sets are now available at the LEGO stores here in Brisbane (and probably the ones in Sydney and Melbourne too)

Same goes for in Manila, which it has city sets for 2020, though no service station and tuning shop shown yet. 

Edited by AMD

1 hour ago, AMD said:

Same goes for in Manila, which it has city sets for 2020 

Same here in the good ol US of A. :excited:

Edited by pooda

8 hours ago, pooda said:

@ks6349 That's understandable. Tomorrow morning, I'm headed to the Lego store to pick up my tuning shop. My initial plan when I went there last Wednesday was to get the entire racing collection (60255 to 60258). But they didn't have 60258 on the shelves yet. So i just got 60255 to 60257. Getting 60258 tomorrow. 

I never buy at Lego store because the price is usually the highest, sometimes 30-40% overpriced. I like to wait for special offers on Amazon

1 minute ago, ks6349 said:

I never buy at Lego store because the price is usually the highest, sometimes 30-40% overpriced. I like to wait for special offers on Amazon

I worry about them getting stolen from my door step. That's why I just buy them. I also go to the department stores too. 

2 minutes ago, pooda said:

I worry about them getting stolen from my door step. That's why I just buy them. I also go to the department stores too. 

???? stolen from my door step and just buy them????