Digger of Bricks

LEGO City 2020 - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

Just now, pooda said:

I just noticed something. Is that the Townhouse Toy Shop on your avatar?

Yes, so far that's my favorite 2020 announced set.

9 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

Mine is the race car duel, the one that I have on my avatar. Tbh, I didn't expect there to be another subtheme centered around the automotive industry. I thought the garage subtheme from 2009 was one and done. 

But nooooooooo! Not only do we have an automotive subtheme. But this subtheme covers the four major subjects of it. 

Refueling - Service Station

Repairing and Performance Upgrades- Tuning Shop

Motorsport - Stunt Team and Race Car Duel

Edited by pooda

1 hour ago, TeriXeri said:

1 hour ago, pooda said:

Mine is the race car duel, the one that I have on my avatar.

Might as well update my avatar but it might surprise you if ever the slightest

Just now, AMD said:

Might as well update my avatar but it might surprise you if ever the slightest

I'm actually surprised. I'm getting that one too. I understand why everyone is excited about the safari offroader as it gives a little nod to this set. 

2419d5868425283b4959f59f27781760.jpg

Edited by pooda

Just now, pooda said:

I'm actually surprised. I'm getting that one too actually. 

Reason is due to nostalgia.:wink: 

15 hours ago, AMD said:

Reason is due to nostalgia.:wink: 

If they release another bus this year, I'm hoping its like this set only blue. Red in my opinion, should stay with the fire sets. Then again, there was a red bus in both the Town Square and Capital mega sets. 

379-bus-station-1979-.jpg

Edited by pooda

Maybe I'm late to notice, but the 60267 Safari Off-Roader set skipped 7 other numbers 60260-60266 (summer sets) on purpose.

60267 contains the numbers of 6672 Safari Off-Road Vehicle

Similarities of both sets were already pointed out, but this set number easter egg is quite good.

Edited by TeriXeri

1 hour ago, TeriXeri said:

Maybe I'm late to notice, but the 60267 Safari Off-Roader set skipped 7 other numbers 60260-60266 (summer sets) on purpose.

Wow, I hadn't taken notice of that either... :distressed: ...Safari subtheme confirmed??? Maybe? :oh:

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Wow, I hadn't taken notice of that either... :distressed: ...Safari subtheme confirmed??? Maybe? :oh:

Well, 2019 had Snow Groomer in January, and Ski Resort set in September, so getting 2 sets of a smaller subtheme in a year is possible.

But if it really were an Safari Exploration subtheme, that'd be awesome, even better with a People Pack :thumbup:

Also comparing to other exploration subthemes, those had a lot of animals in them, especially recent ones

2015 Deep Sea had Octopus, Sawfish, Sharks.

2017 Jungle had 3 different big cats (Tiger/Jaguar/Black Panther) & Crocodiles, Spiders, Snake, Frog + Giant Venus Flytrap plants.

2018 Arctic had a Sabertooth, Mammoth, Polar Bear.

2018 Mining had Glow in the Dark Spiders.

2019 Diving Yacht had Sawfish ,  Desert Racer had Scorpion in darkblue.

Even Police/Fire/CoastGuard sets had a lot of animals in recent times.

2016 Swamp Police had Crocodiles + Snakes.

2017 Coast Guard had Sharks + Octopus 

2018 Mountain Police had a Black Bear , Mountain Lion, Snake + Bee Hives.

2019 Fire Plane had a Skunk,  2020 Fire Buggy an Owl.

Otherwise, more likely, is just a play on the set number 6672 vs 6267 if you remove the zero as an easter egg.

6672-1.png

Also as a bonus, 6267 was a Pirates set *oh2* but I think some of the Pirate Rollercoaster ticket booth design already was kind of based off that with the palm tree on the corner, red/blue awning, and overall style/colors, it just looked familiar from this picture.

6267-1.png

Edited by TeriXeri
added summary of City wild animals

60255 to 60258 are my favorite sets. It's absolutely amazing how City is about to turn a line of work that most kids these days would consider boring (the automotive industry) into something fun and action packed. Yes, we had Speed Champions. But technically those are licensed as they are based off of real cars. I'm talking about generic automotive industry setslike the ones from 90s Town and the 2009 Garage subtheme. 

I take these sets as a compliment from Lego. Considering that I'm making a career switch in 2020 to a mechanic, I think my co-workers would agree. 

Edited by pooda

32 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

Racing bus tuner mechanic 2006-2009 golden age station duel.

Nah. In terms of diesel racing, something like this would be better. 

mercedes-benz_1834_s_race_truck_3.jpeg

Seems like a few of the City sets are starting to slowly leak out in the UK. I picked up four of them from eBay which arrived over the last couple days. Just need a chance to make them now.

80104891_838272763259823_4370266344805892096_n.png

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Perhaps you've already made your mind up about both, but just in case... :wink:

The Brothers Brick - Fill it up at the LEGO 60257 Filling Station [Review]

Overall I quite like this set! Both vehicles are quite nice and different from the sorts of vehicles we often get in City, and the tiny gas station is decent as well. There are some things I think could stand to be improved—I wish the SUV had a little more space inside for an additional passenger. And while asking for less is a little bit paradoxical, the curb by the charging station seems bigger than it needs to be, making it so you have to stretch the charging cable farther—either making the base smaller or shunting it more toward the office (perhaps using the extra length to extend the wall of the gas station by two studs as well) wouldn't hurt.

I almost changed my avatar pic to have 60257 be my top priority, because not only the set surpasses my expectations but the sticker from the surfer van comes with an easter egg from one of my favorite characters. Islander tribe leader and former Lego Racers Champion King Kahuka :excited:. Still getting safari first though.

Edited by AMD

@Digger of Bricks I've made up my mind. I'm going to be starting a new mechanic job in January. Having not 1, not 2, but 4 sets dedicated to the auto industry feels like a compliment to me. Considering all the sports cars and repair shops we've got lately under Speed Champions and City, kids obviously have lots of respect for the auto industry. 

My idea for a similar set is a racing rig set based off of those Mercedes-Benz racing trucks. Like a dual or something. 

1 hour ago, pooda said:

@Digger of Bricks I've made up my mind. I'm going to be starting a new mechanic job in January. Having not 1, not 2, but 4 sets dedicated to the auto industry feels like a compliment to me. Considering all the sports cars and repair shops we've got lately under Speed Champions and City, kids obviously have lots of respect for the auto industry. 

My idea for a similar set is a racing rig set based off of those Mercedes-Benz racing trucks. Like a dual or something. 

I don’t know if you pay attention to Technic, but I saw they have a racing truck coming next year. It’s not quite like the one you posted above, but similar. 

A racing truck would be a nice change looks wise for City. Chances are though that it would come out in the Speed Champions theme. We’re getting two SUVs next year. 

19 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

I don’t know if you pay attention to Technic, but I saw they have a racing truck coming next year. It’s not quite like the one you posted above, but similar. 

A racing truck would be a nice change looks wise for City. Chances are though that it would come out in the Speed Champions theme. We’re getting two SUVs next year. 

Don't really pay much attention to Technic. But I think I did see that. Yes, it would be a nice change for City. But like you said, it would probably be a better seller under Speed Champions. If you count the little SUV that comes with the 60246 Police Station, we'd actually be getting three for City with the safari off roader and the SUV from the service station being the other two. 

Edited by pooda

On 12/13/2019 at 3:44 PM, Joebot said:

Dang. That Service Station felt like a $30 set. At 354 pieces, it probably SHOULD be a $30 set. But instead it's $50. Yeesht. That was honestly the only City set I was even a tiny bit interested in, but not at that price. Oh well. 

It's £44.99 in Britain. I wonder, would it have been cheaper if they used smaller vehicles? I mean the surf van is bigger than some Great Vehicles, and also an odd design, particularly with that fake roller shutter. 

14 minutes ago, Bornin1980something said:

It's £44.99 in Britain. I wonder, would it have been cheaper if they used smaller vehicles? I mean the surf van is bigger than some Great Vehicles, and also an odd design, particularly with that fake roller shutter. 

They probably bigger vehicles so they could appeal to kids. Considering that kids wouldn't even know what the hell a VW Bus is....I doubt it would appeal to them. I would've just stuck with the generic 4 stud wide system for automobiles. I personally can tolerate the 6 stud wide, but.....I can't speak for children. 

On 12/22/2019 at 7:11 AM, Bornin1980something said:

Probably. Then again, part of what I like about the set is that the camper van and bulky SUV are so much different than the sorts of sports cars or work vehicles that have often been more typical of the City theme. Especially with the smaller size of the filling station, I feel like the vehicles are more of a selling point for this set than the actual building.

If you wanted to mod the sides of the camper van for a more realistic look, you might could take some inspiration for the sides from the broken down camper van in this past year's Welcome to Apocalypseburg set from the Lego Movie 2 theme.

12 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

This, of course, is probably my favorite of the City sets this year. It just so perfectly sums up the look of a typical ice cream truck, with bright colors, a big sign/mascot on the top, and a sliding serving window on the side. The inside is a little less realistic (since it seems to be focused more on "play" for kids (having cones, scoops, and ice pops just sitting there to be mixed and matched) rather than more realistic freezers or soft serve machines, but I'm sure that wouldn't be too hard to mod.

I might take some pointers from this set for MOCs, since I've been hoping to build a slightly beefier "haunted" ice cream truck for the Hidden Side theme.