Digger of Bricks

LEGO City 2020 - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

On 11/26/2019 at 10:51 AM, TeriXeri said:

Oh yes , I agree it's one of the best large City sets where I actually like 100% of it.

Better yet, I'm going to say that fir the entire racing theme for this year. I thought that this was going to be using generic vehicles. But no. They make nods to the automotive industry in the real world. 

Smart Car, Caterham 7, Ford Super Duty Tow Truck and Honda Civic hatch from 60258

Volkswagen T2 and Local Motors Rally Fighter in 60257

The LeMans and WRC in 60256

60255 is pretty generic. So I won't count that. 

Edited by pooda

4 hours ago, pooda said:

Local Motors Rally Fighter in 60257

Never knew a minifigure would drive something like this. To me, it looked more like a SUV type

Edited by AMD

1 hour ago, AMD said:

Never knew a minifigure would drive something like this. To me, it looked more like a SUV type

It could be based on an SUV. To me, I just thought Local Motors Rally Fighter when I first looked at it. 

10 hours ago, AMD said:

I agree that it's probably supposed to be something like a Mercedes-Benz GLC/GLE Coupe or BMW X4/X6, but it also looks 2-door and there is that wing on the back...

1 hour ago, imvanya said:

I agree that it's probably supposed to be something like a Mercedes-Benz GLC/GLE Coupe or BMW X4/X6, but it also looks 2-door and there is that wing on the back...

I think it may have something to do with the level of detail that LEGO is trying to accomplish. We'll have to see for ourselves once its released.

2 hours ago, imvanya said:

Or a Range Rover Evoque Coupe.

On 11/25/2019 at 4:23 PM, TeriXeri said:

I suppose some of the light yellow pieces on 2019 fire and 2020 police vehicles could be a bit of European influence as vehicles sometimes have neon yellow stripes in some european countries.

This color comes close (but might be too green) but that's now used for ghost features in hidden side, so would be a bit odd :oh:

tn_326_jpg.jpg

This color comes closer to real neon but isn't used for regular LEGO parts:

tn_134_jpg.jpg

Source : https://brickset.com/colours/family-Green

I'd love a neon green ambulance or medical helicopter one day.

I'd love to see lego produce a neon green/yellow... highlighter pen yellow... coloured bricks - specifically minifigure torsos, for hi-viz jackets, be useful for Police officers, construction etc. etc., also useful for emergency vehicles.

11 minutes ago, AnyColourYouLike said:

Is it just me, or 2020's wave is seems kinda 'small'? 

I would like to look on the bright side and say that 2020 may be a testing ground for a brand new version of Lego City for the 2020s decade. I hope the City TV series continues past 20 episodes and lasts for a few seasons. That way, there will be a chance to put more new things that we've never seen in City before. Cartoons, while expensive, are a great way to push awesome toys. 

Edited by pooda

10 minutes ago, AnyColourYouLike said:

Is it just me, or 2020's wave is seems kinda 'small'? 

20 sets doesn't look small to me (not counting the polybags and 4-minifig pack)

2019 had 17 sets at that point.

2020 still has a summer wave, of at least 9 more sets , which is likely a Subtheme  + Larger "Town" set , and likely a People Pack, subtheme could also have it's own People Pack as Space had.

Edited by TeriXeri

Just now, TeriXeri said:

2020 still has a summer wave, of at least 8 more sets , which is likely a subtheme and some larger "Town" set. + possible Minifig People packs.

You never know. This could be the start of a Lego City that we have never seen before. City's fanbase has grown dramatically since 2009. This could be a Lego City that combines town planning and child attracting action into one place. Considering how many buildings an civilian vehicles we will actually be getting in 2020, that actually looks like its going to be that way. 

Just now, pooda said:

You never know. This could be the start of a Lego City that we have never seen before. City's fanbase has grown dramatically since 2009. This could be a Lego City that combines town planning and child attracting action into one place. Considering how many buildings an civilian vehicles we will actually be getting in 2020, that actually looks like its going to be that way. 

Well, I'm mostly going by previous years and a rumoured set list source, and there's 1 set labeled "Town D2C" which could mean the size of Capital City or City Square, and D2C means limited retailers which also happened for those largest City sets that cost over €120.

7 sets on it are In/Out, likely some subtheme, maybe 6 sets + 1 people pack.

And then another set named "Town" could be a People Pack or Donut Shop type set.

1 hour ago, TeriXeri said:

7 sets on it are In/Out, likely some subtheme, maybe 6 sets + 1 people pack.

And then another set named "Town" could be a People Pack or Donut Shop type set.

I hope the In/Out subtheme is another theme that has to do with City life. Like the harbor or cargo subtheme. For this one year, I'd hope its not an explorers theme. Not that I hate them, but I would like to see one year where they focus only on action within the city limits. 

12 minutes ago, pooda said:

I hope the In/Out subtheme is another theme that has to do with City life. Like the harbor or cargo subtheme. For this one year, I'd hope its not an explorers theme. Not that I hate them, but I would like to see one year where they focus only on action within the city limits. 

I personally am still saying possibility for a harbor theme as well, as the magnetic part seems very suitable for that.

This year seems very light on boats/ships so far, and 2018/2019 had no large ships.

Seems too early for Coast Guard and I don't think they'll do another Divers yet as there's been various smaller sets with Divers elements/figures/builds in 2019 City/Creator/Xtra sets.

I'd like them to focus on cargo and leisure however and not Fire or Police boats yet.

I'd hope to see like a harbor master office, or marina as well.

Just a coincidence : 2011 had a race boat transporter and the subtheme was Harbor , 2015 had a race boat transporter and the subtheme was Divers.

Edited by TeriXeri

On 11/29/2019 at 3:16 PM, TeriXeri said:

I personally am still saying possibility for a harbor theme as well, as the magnetic part seems very suitable for that.

I'm hoping for two other subthemes this coming summer. Harbor and Cargo. 

For this year, I hope the town subtheme focuses primarily on playable buildings like the police station and that bank building in the monster truck heist set. 

Lego has a lot of opportunities with that new magnet piece. I see three subthemes making a comeback because of that magnet: ConstructionHarbour, Farm and Cargo

Edited by pooda

On 11/26/2019 at 3:30 PM, imvanya said:

I might be wrong, but hot rods are quite popular in Denmark and Northern Europe in general. So your theory regarding inspirations for CIty sets is not completely debunked :wink:

I think you could also consider it an homage to Town (technically, not City) sets 6561 and 6538:

6538-1.jpg

6561-1.jpg

I had spotted the resemblance to the Classic Town sets. In fact, this new motorsport wave strongly reminds me of Classic Town, particularly the 1993 - 1996 era.

That said, note how the older set is smaller, with only three vehicles and three figures. If the new one was reduced to the shop, two cars and a bike (with the tow truck available separately), would it be more affordable?

On 11/29/2019 at 3:07 PM, pooda said:

i hope there is a airport subtheme, like in 2016. i just hope if it is that the airport is a better quality build than last times. also i cant wait to see pictures of the new town DC2 set. i've liked all of the large town plan sets that have come out in the city line.

1 hour ago, toopizza13 said:

i hope there is a airport subtheme, like in 2016. i just hope if it is that the airport is a better quality build than last times.

I'm still fighting for a subtheme about the bus system. That would be very easy to do. I hope the buses have the same livery as the train from 60197. 

lego_60197_web_pri_1488.jpg?l.r=-8206709

1 hour ago, toopizza13 said:

also i cant wait to see pictures of the new town DC2 set. i've liked all of the large town plan sets that have come out in the city line.

Same here! The mega sets have always been awesome. I hope this years mega set is as awesome as the ones in the past. 

5 hours ago, pooda said:

Same here! The mega sets have always been awesome. I hope this years mega set is as awesome as the ones in the past.

me too. i hope it is a little bigger than 60200, maybe about the size of the one from 2015, city square. i hope pictures will come out soon.

Edited by toopizza13

48 minutes ago, toopizza13 said:

me too. i hope it is a little bigger than 60200, maybe about the size of the one from 2015, city square. i hope pictures will come out soon.

You may have noticed my recent rants here. But I digress as I was able to get a closer look. 

2020 will be the best wave we've had in ages. I hope summer 2020 is just as awesome. 60256 is my first pickup for 2020.