Digger of Bricks

LEGO City 2020 - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

I for one this time am quite disappointed with the city line up so far apart from the safari jeep which I must say I will probably find myself buying.

the police and fire line up from an afol perspective seem to have slid now to being nothing more than a toy and this year a toy with named characters which makes me wonder if further down the line these will be linked to a TV or film series, however from a kids perspective these are great and I have no doubt my 2 sons will love them, although currently they are still both Marvel and Ninjago fans so they may need some arm twisting.

i know Lego is a toy and sometimes as an afol it’s very easy to forget this but Lego know they have a good adult following as well, so I’m surprised with the way this offering has gone.

Hopefully the few sets we haven’t seen yet will offer something else but looks like it’ll be a very cheap start to the year, and hopefully the 2020 modular won’t disappoint.

@chrisb2012 Tbh, it was more fun to name the characters myself. I'm speaking from a child's perspective here. When I was a child, I loved generic themes better because I name them myself and I didn't have to name them their given names. With today's City....you're kinda obligated to name them Duke Detain or Freya McCloud. So now I make my own minifigures. 

If I end up with multiple of the same character at some point (like Duke Detain possibly), I'd likely just change their hair and at the very least use their alternate face if available.

1 hour ago, Bornin1980something said:

All names are taken from the TV series 'Lego City Adventures.'

I wouldn't be surprised if the Lego City theme turned to Lego City Adventures. 

1 hour ago, pooda said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Lego City theme turned to Lego City Adventures. 

Come on, you've been b******g for 3 months about not getting pics and now that you do you're railing against them. So what if some have LCA names, the show won't last forever (I think). And not everyone's named, there are still generic firemen and police officers, as well as a couple unnamed crooks.

That said, I do think some of the still-to-come sets will have more names. I'm sure at least one most have Shirley Keeper (The trash lady). And given what was revealed on the last episode I don't see how we don't get a Tippy Doorman (AKA super-I-didn't-expect-it-criminal).

Also, I noticed the site that had the Safari jeep and mail plane pics has removed them...

EDIT: My bad they're still there, I was looking at another site.

Edited by Dominic

7 minutes ago, Dominic said:

Come on, you've been b******g for 3 months about not getting pics and now that you do you're railing against them.

...and I'll do it some more.

We were just expecting something more realistic like this year's fire sets. Most of vehicles look outlandish. That highway arrest set has a police car that looks like it belongs with Speed Champions. I don't like the idea of the pull string helicopters and the main station just isn't what I expected it to look like. 

I was just kinda hoping for something more realistic looking. That's all. 

38 minutes ago, Dominic said:

So what if some have LCA names, the show won't last forever (I think). And not everyone's named, there are still generic firemen and police officers, as well as a couple unnamed crooks.

I think the LCA figs with names are fine, as long as they don't repeat the same figure over and over.

This wave has 3x Duke Detain which imo is about the max they should do, as I understand not everyone gets 100% of the sets.

Freya has a new hat/helm piece and a different suit.

The rest of the figures have good variation, even the unnamed ones, I do hope there's extra hairpieces included for the figs that wear helmets.

As for headgear that seems to be missing is a police hat, last time used in 2019 but only in the biggest sky police set.

15530pb01.jpg

But I understand such flat police hats are used less nowadays in some countries.

Overall, no major complaints about the figures.

Edited by TeriXeri

I saw Jang's video about the sets and then I was made aware of that most of them are 5+ in addition to 4+ and one 6+. So no wonder they look more junorized than normal, they are basically for kids moving from Duplo to Lego..
So I do not see the point in complaining too much about them, no AFOL is complaining about Duplo right :shrug_oh_well: Anyway it is only police and fire so they will most likely have a new wave in one year with a higher age limit on the boxes again..

I got a 2 new animals from the sets so I am a happy camper :grin:

15 hours ago, Joebot said:

Yep. I see that happening as well, and I think that's a mistake.

The City/Town theme always occupied a pretty unique space in Lego's product lineup. It's based on real-world locations, which allows you to recreate what you see around you. It's not based on some IP, and it's not character-driven. In my opinion, City/Town allows kids to create a generic backdrop for their own stories and adventures.

I don't really see how having a name printed on the box changes 2020's City from previous ones. Does a child play with an otherwise generic police set in a different way because the box says the names are Duke and Vito or Sam and Snake?

In this set, I imagine Duke Detain will chase Vito.

60242-1.jpg?201911191127

Whereas in this set, I imagine the unnamed policeman will chase the unnamed crook.

60176_alt1.jpg

I cannot really see the difference in play. Kids can still make up their own stories if they want to, but to me the roles of the characters in those stories will be more imposed by the clothes they wear than the names on the boxes.

27 minutes ago, pooda said:

Also personally, I was kinda expecting a bigger garage for the police van that comes with the station. You know.....with a gate and all. 

Maybe you could try writing your local politicians? Pretty sure no one here can do much to appease your growing list of complaints about the state of Lego City which has spanned multiple threads. Maybe we could put tariffs on them until Lego gets their act together and starts making City themed sets for ages 18+. Yeah, that should do the trick. They will call you in no time at all to fly you over to headquarters so you can fix it all and save us grown ups from overly childish childrens toys! 

Seriously though, the sets aren't to my liking (for obvious reasons) so I am going to skip them and work on building up my MOCing techniques. If there are enough people that like these sets enough to buy them they can and Lego will base future sets on how well the current line up sells like any other for profit business.

1 hour ago, fordtruckin said:

Pretty sure no one here can do much to appease your growing list of complaints about the state of Lego City which has spanned multiple threads.

Complaints? We're just criticizing and saying that Lego could've done better. This isn't the best they can do in terms of "children's" toys. Stop getting triggered dude. 

I mean.............look at these.

659a82b3484995b92b451558ed36

d_7498_detail_1_hr.jpg

60047-1.jpg?201311100551

10 minutes ago, pooda said:

This is probably one of the very few redeeming qualities about this year's police sets.

lego-city-2020-60270-001.jpg

lego-city-2020-60270-002.jpg

That's really sweet. 2014 is my favorite station (Also the only one I have since you really only need one)

5 hours ago, Roebuck said:

I saw Jang's video about the sets and then I was made aware of that most of them are 5+ in addition to 4+ and one 6+. So no wonder they look more junorized than normal, they are basically for kids moving from Duplo to Lego..

Yeah I thought some of them looked like 4+ now I know why...

10 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

I think the LCA figs with names are fine, as long as they don't repeat the same figure over and over.

This wave has 3x Duke Detain which imo is about the max they should do, as I understand not everyone gets 100% of the sets.

Freya has a new hat/helm piece and a different suit.

The rest of the figures have good variation, even the unnamed ones, I do hope there's extra hairpieces included for the figs that wear helmets.

As for headgear that seems to be missing is a police hat, last time used in 2019 but only in the biggest sky police set.

15530pb01.jpg

But I understand such flat police hats are used less nowadays in some countries.

I'm okay with the repeating figs...castle always had multiple kings etc. And there are how many Luke Skywalkers?

They still wear that hat in Baltimore MD.

Just now, Dominic said:

That's really sweet. 2014 is my favorite station (Also the only one I have since you really only need one)

2008 was my favorite. I had all buildings from 2006 to 2009. The last building that I got before my hiatus was that family home that came in 2010. I kinda went on hiatus until 2018.  

3 hours ago, MAB said:

In this set, I imagine Duke Detain will chase Vito.

Actually, looking at the box art, it almost looks the other way around: that Vito is chasing Duke...! :classic:

37 minutes ago, pooda said:

Stop getting triggered dude. 

The funny thing is you send that response to people when you have been triggered. You are overly sensitive to any reply you dislike and begin to attack.  But you have said you live in the DC area so that shouldn't be surprising, its what you are accustomed to. Honestly from most of your posts I thought you were a KFOL who lied to have an account here. You have claimed you WILL BE a Lego set designer yet also stated you aren't that great at MOCing. Also you said you are a bus driver so maybe you are old enough. 

Yes, of course everyone on Eurobricks knows Lego can do better. There are many extremely talented people working for Lego. You do not know what restrictions are put on the designers, what their budget is, what their marketing research is showing them, or what direction Lego is planning on going. And to claim you do demonstrates the magnitude of your arrogance and ignorance. Those "better" sets happened when there was a specific Juniors theme for younger builders.

2014 Police station was my favorite and the only police station I have bought and probably will be the last unless they make a Creator Expert Modular Police station. I bought every police set from 2014 which has provided more than enough police for my city as well as keeping things uniform.

21 minutes ago, fordtruckin said:

Those "better" sets happened when there was a specific Juniors theme for younger builders.

...and they should go back to that too!

Edited by pooda

18 minutes ago, ArneNielsen said:

Actually, looking at the box art, it almost looks the other way around: that Vito is chasing Duke...! :classic:

I think he just crashed as part of the police chase.

43 minutes ago, pooda said:

This is probably one of the very few redeeming qualities about this year's police sets.

The buckets / tubs etc are great if you have kids but they often make the sets seem expensive.

1 hour ago, pooda said:

Complaints? We're just criticizing and saying that Lego could've done better. This isn't the best they can do in terms of "children's" toys. Stop getting triggered dude. 

I mean.............look at these.

60047-1.jpg?201311100551

LEGO-City-2020-60246-Police-Station-3.jp

I don't think the 2020 one (bottom) is that different to the 2014 one. In terms of play features it is very similar. One difference is the depth, which is mainly down to using smaller plates but that is simple to fix if you want a deeper building. Although it doesn't actually add much to the play.

Just now, pooda said:

...and they should go back to that too! 

I agree with you 100% on that. Realistically I am not expecting it, but we can both hope for it right.

50 minutes ago, Dominic said:

I'm okay with the repeating figs...castle always had multiple kings etc. And there are how many Luke Skywalkers?

They still wear that hat in Baltimore MD.

I'm okay with repeating figures to a certain point, and Duke Detain has got a dual-sided face so that's 2 variants already, of course I realize he's basicly one of the main characters of the show,  I'm just hoping if they'd use him in 2021 for example it'd be a slightly different one :thumbup:

Of course, swapping minifig parts is always the other option :wink:

I have many of the same Nexo Knights characters, but each year they did change the torso/leg printing and armor and the same figures in the same year had a slightly different weapon build to set them apart.

Edited by TeriXeri

@fordtruckin And yes I am a kid at heart. All of us are kids at heart, otherwise we wouldn't be here. I'm not triggered at all. I'm just straight up when it comes to how I feel about certain things. I don't beat around the bush. No one's got time for the crap. At least I've got the courage and bravery to speak up. 

On 11/21/2019 at 8:50 AM, MAB said:

I think he just crashed as part of the police chase.

The buckets / tubs etc are great if you have kids but they often make the sets seem expensive.

LEGO-City-2020-60246-Police-Station-3.jp

I don't think the 2020 one (bottom) is that different to the 2014 one. In terms of play features it is very similar. One difference is the depth, which is mainly down to using smaller plates but that is simple to fix if you want a deeper building. Although it doesn't actually add much to the play.

Uh....the office part from 2014 looks a lot better from my POV. There is also a proper looking garage for the 2014 one too. The jail cell looks pretty decent along with the vehicles (the drone included) and the minifigures. As for the other things......Call me narrow minded, but I....just don't see it. 

Edited by pooda

Just now, MAB said:

I agree with you that they are similar in play features but 2014 version looks more modern and realistic to me. 2020 looks more "plain" and "simple" to me personally. And when putting the whole 2020 subtheme of police against the whole 2014 police subtheme, 2014 overall looks way better to me.

Just now, fordtruckin said:

I agree with you that they are similar in play features but 2014 version looks more modern and realistic to me. 2020 looks more "plain" and "simple" to me personally. And when putting the whole 2020 subtheme of police against the whole 2014 police subtheme, 2014 overall looks way better to me.

That's what I basically said in my comment just before yours.