Digger of Bricks

LEGO City 2020 - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

I think I might buy the fire helicopter, the police car twin pack, the police builder box, the mail airplane, and the safari jeep.  That last set is pretty much exactly what I'd like to see in green with a T-rex!  After seeing the police and fire sets, though, I'm worried about the racing and construction sets.  I hope they're not as focused on gimmicks instead of building.

@Maple @TeriXeri I agree. I might be picking that one up. 

7 minutes ago, AnyColourYouLike said:

I like that they're still using the same torso piece for the postman they introduced 11 years ago. :tongue:

Actually I see some differences. For one, there is an updated emblem on the torso. 

Yeah it's not the same, looks updated a bit, but we will have to wait to be sure.

3 minutes ago, Maple said:

Yeah it's not the same, looks updated a bit, but we will have to wait to be sure.

A nice post office to go with it would be nice too. I'll have to build that myself. 

44 minutes ago, AnyColourYouLike said:

Huh, it looks like we all missed something. Scroll down to the bottom of the page. 

https://www.promobricks.de/lego-city-2020-setbilder-und-infos/88925

Indeed. We're getting a new service station, I'm guessing octan branded, which is always cool. The safari truck is pretty neat! Looks like they revisited the old Legoland one (6672). I wonder what the tuning workshop will look like. And the ice-cream truck is a cool idea, probably will look similar to the pizza delivery van.

The city police sets for 2020 are not something I will get personally. I'm really not into police/firefighting stuff, but I guess for kids they are OK. I mean they fulfill the idea of police chasing bad guys. Looking at the pictures on the website above, honestly the truck carrying the helicopter doesn't look all that bad viewed from the side.

I do feel though Lego should brand the police sets as their own theme and not as City. City stuff should have one or max 2 sets of any given thing you find in a City. Maybe it would over-complicate things, idk.

EDIT: I know this isn't city, but just saw we got the first picks of some 2020 Creator 3-1 sets, that burger monster truck is awesome :laugh:: https://brickset.com/article/47018/2020-creator-set-images!

Edited by HereWeGoAgain

1 hour ago, AMD said:

After researching and watching documentaries about LEGO's history, I realized something.

Can you please send some links? (or PM me please) I would love to watch something like that! Thanks!

lego-city-2020-60267-003.jpg

Now we talking.

I also had some further thoughts about the Police sets. I feel like they want to grab a little bit more of the audience age pie with those, so that they can increase sales. However, that means that 7-8 y.o. kids, who also like police (and understand a lot better what police and criminals actually are) are getting simple and less interesting buildable toys, for the sake of 4-5 y.o. children getting into Lego earlier and transitioning from Duplo smoother. I don't have a problem with 4+ junior sets - I have a problem with the 5+, which used to be labeled as 5-12. But they are not anymore. Lego is supposed to be a clever toy, it's supposed to teach kids something, present a challenge. It's one of the main reasons why it became so beloved and popular in the world. Even the instructions back in the 80s-90s were much better from my POV because they made you really pay attention and building from instructions was more fun, like solving a puzzle. It would be nice if they could do more advanced police sets and 4+ police sets as separate lines, instead of trying to merge them. So that pre-school kids and kids that go to school both get police and fire and learn to build appropriate to their age.

I honestly thought LEGO safari was never, ever going to happen.  Even though pretty much every other set is completely mediocre and uninteresting, this single safari set alone just redeemed this wave for me.  The zebra-printed car is great, and while the lioness isn't quite anything super new and exciting, it's still cool to get that mold in a new color.  Really really hope this is just a sign of things to come, there's so much potential here.

7 minutes ago, TheNerdyOne_ said:

The zebra-printed car is great,

The zebra stickered car. :tongue:

14 minutes ago, Maple said:

The zebra stickered car. :tongue:

But that's not bad, right? Gives us the option to not apply them!

Oh ya stickers or printed makes no difference to me, I was more referring to the zebra design itself and how fun it is!  Just a little poor word choice

2019 Sky Police: "I'm the worst City Police subtheme ever!"

2020 whatever Police: "Hold my brick separator."

Edited by The Cobra
Time runs too fast...

3 minutes ago, The Cobra said:

2018 Sky Police: "I'm the worst City Police subtheme ever!"

2019 whatever Police: "Hold my brick separator."

2018 was Mountain PoliceSky Police was 2019. 

Just now, The Cobra said:

Thanks! Post fixed.

No problem! Yeah....though I think Lego actually did this on purpose this year. This was basically a "Get it through your head" act by showing us once and for all that City is not for us.

TLG: "Now piss off and stop asking us to do other things other than police! Make your own buildings if you have an issue with what we make!". 

Once again if we are all adults here than none of the themes are really for us. My favorite theme currently is probably Friends which is meant for seven year old girls.

Thankfully it's not like we will have to wait long for more Police sets, there is never a shortage of them. 

17 minutes ago, Maple said:

Once again if we are all adults here than none of the themes are really for us. 

Except for Star Wars, Creator Modulars, F*R*I*E*N*D*S, Technic and Simpsons. Then there are themes for a more teen audiences such as Speed Champions, Hidden Side and Stranger Things. Friends seems to also target a teenage girl audience along with the little girls. 

Edited by pooda

1 hour ago, pooda said:

Except for Star Wars, Creator Modulars, F*R*I*E*N*D*S, Technic and Simpsons. Then there are themes for a more teen audiences such as Speed Champions, Hidden Side and Stranger Things. Friends seems to also target a teenage girl audience along with the little girls. 

And what do the ages on the box say for Star Wars? Everything else is a one off. The only adult 'theme' with multiple sets released a year would be Ideas, maybe creator. 

If it doesn't have studs it's not LEGO to me. (RIP Technic)

To echo what a bunch of people have said, the police/fire sub theme is a step back for us AFOL's, but the Zebra truck is a nice surprise. Looks like it will be a cheap first half of the year for me, so I cannot complain to much.

I think its hilariously they are using the tree costume instead of a brick-built tree.

This city winter wave went from good too great :grin:

A new lioness :wub: Now we are only missing a male lion to get the big cat family complete :sweet:
They even throw in a parrot for good measure as well and the small bird in the post-plane set. They are all in rather small sets so I hope the animals will not be to expensive to army-build then :wink:
I will only buy the safari truck of the sets, but I need plenty of lions, dogs, birds and owls so B&P please make them cheep :tongue:

7 hours ago, Joebot said:

We know. These are kids' toys, they're designed for kids, etc., etc. ... we know. Does that mean that we shouldn't come here to Eurobricks and TALK about them? 

Not here to be a pain in the butt, but I'm only stating about LEGO's business practices and what affects us when we grow older. I'm pretty sure someone who loves certain sets has some of the criticisms from others. Your not alone with that so everyone has the right to speak on their own will. I'm can assure you that once a specific team from LEGO found out about our feedbacks, they may talk about it in the future. Its gonna take a while, but give them time and you may have yet another golden age of LEGO.

Back on topic, I seen more pics from CITY. The only set that strikes me is the Safari one. That is a nice throwback to the 1990 version of it.

6672-1.jpg

In fact, its over 3 decades.

Edited by AMD